Pacific Sun / Benoa

A local driver and decent car should only cost $50US for the entire day...in that time you can decide whatever you would like to see in the way of local sights...the volcano is spectacular..I hear the Elephant Park is worth a visit...white water rafting is available via the net.

You could also sign up to the Bali forum for some ideas.

I visited Benoa last year on Sun Princess and had a great experience. We also passed on the Ship Shore Excursions( or extortions) and hired a local driver for the day for around $50 in a airconditioned (a must)mid sized sedan . Can throughly recommend Udud as a special destination for local handicrafts etc. The Lotus Cafe is a superb and safe place to eat and really affordable with exceptional food in a great location overlooking the Water Temple. A visit to the silver factory at Mas is worthwhile particularly for jewellery lovers. Tendering was a little slow back to the ship because most organised tours return around the same time so it may pay to find out what time they are expected a be a little earlier. However, if that does not work and you have to wait they have local entertainment and VERY COLD beers at $3 AUS. :)

I visited Benoa last year on Sun Princess and had a great experience. We also passed on the Ship Shore Excursions( or extortions) and hired a local driver for the day for around $50 in a airconditioned (a must)mid sized sedan . Can throughly recommend Udud as a special destination for local handicrafts etc. The Lotus Cafe is a superb and safe place to eat and really affordable with exceptional food in a great location overlooking the Water Temple. A visit to the silver factory at Mas is worthwhile particularly for jewellery lovers. Tendering was a little slow back to the ship because most organised tours return around the same time so it may pay to find out what time they are expected a be a little earlier. However, if that does not work and you have to wait they have local entertainment and VERY COLD beers at $3 AUS. :)

ROFL...we have a new phrase "shore extortions"..so apt. Good tip the tendering back to the ship was very slow with everyone arriving back at the tender point at around the same time. Also allow for travel around the island to be slow the traffic is pretty intense!

• 3 months later...
A local driver and decent car should only cost $50US for the entire day...in that time you can decide whatever you would like to see in the way of local sights...the volcano is spectacular..I hear the Elephant Park is worth a visit...white water rafting is available via the net.

You could also sign up to the Bali forum for some ideas.

Would anyone know how far away the elephant park is ?? or offer any suggestions as to what to do / see

We are doing the Rural /volcano -lake tour with P&O -7-8 hour trip

I just can't be bothered with the bargaining hassles and worrying about being back on the ship on time.

Only $79 Aussie each and a lot less stress.

We have been to Kuta before and I want to avoid it.

Archived