Salmon on Alaska Cruises

ZipGirl

I'm excitedly awaiting my cruise to Alaska on Millenium this May. A fond memory I have of a previous Alaska cruise on Holland America was the local Salmon. At every port I remember large boxes of locally caught salmon being brought on board and delicious salmon always available in the dining room. Does anyone know if Celebrity similarly provisions her ships with the local fish?

I am not sure about where their salmon comes from, but as an aside we cruised last year and hired a boat to take us salmon fishing in Ketchikan. It is almost too easy. You have your line baited and you will catch your limit easily. We had our salmon frozen and some smoked and sent home to meet us when we arrived back. It was heaven. Just a suggestion.

We did a fantasmic cruise on Summit last fall that took us down the Eastern Coast. Something I should have done eons ago. My husband and I called it the Lobster Tour. At almost every port, we would have lobster. In Newport, we had a lobster roll, something we had never heard of on the westcoast of B.C.

But, sadly, I don't think the calibre of lobster in MDR ( you know the one - a mix of seafood and a teeny, weeny minature lobster tail) was anything different than what we have had on other sailings in Alaska, Panama Canal or Europe.

Is it possible that the salmon on the Alaska sailings is of a higher standard?

I was on HAL in Alaska last summer and the salmon was not local. Everything went on the ship in containers that were shipped from Seattle (I believe). I don't know what Celebrity does but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something similar.

We did our Alaska cruise on Royal Caribbean. The salmon was a lot better than the Atlantic salmon they have on the regular menu on non-Alaska cruises. The menu at least claimed that it was Alaskan salmon. I would assume that they suppliers should be the same since they have the same parent company.

However, our cruise was in 2008, so things may have changed.

Archived