Question re Explorer cabins

I'm thinking about booking an Antarctica cruise on the Explorer, and there doesn't seem to be much info available on the cabins. I know we wouldn't be spending much time in them, but we would need to make a decision among the various cabin categories, so I'd like to have as much info as I can. (We'd likely be choosing among Cats 1-4.)

If anyone who has been on the Explorer (regardless of the itinerary) can post any cabin pics, or provide other thoughts/help re cabin selection on this ship, it would be much appreciated! (Lindblad's web site has deck plans, but no cabin floor plans and no pics of most cabins.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

For the Antarctic cruise, I would strongly recommend reserving a cabin near the center of the Main deck. The Drake passage can be pretty rough and those cabins would be the most stable. I traveled to the Antarctic two years ago on the Explorer. On our trip, several passengers with cabins near the bow of the ship ended up spending the night in the Lounge.

The cabins are smallish, but comfortably furnished. I only have pictures of my single cabin, but I could post one if you wished.

For the Antarctic cruise, I would strongly recommend reserving a cabin near the center of the Main deck. The Drake passage can be pretty rough and those cabins would be the most stable. I traveled to the Antarctic two years ago on the Explorer. On our trip, several passengers with cabins near the bow of the ship ended up spending the night in the Lounge.

The cabins are smallish, but comfortably furnished. I only have pictures of my single cabin, but I could post one if you wished.

Thank you so much for that advice and taking the time to post it. I have pretty much come to the same conclusion after thinking some more about the Drake passage. (Also appreciate your kind offer to post the pic of the single cabin; however, Lindblad has a nice pic of that in their brochure! :))

Were you bothered by any noise from above or below your Main Deck cabin? (Galley, Bistro, engine room?)

How did you like the trip? Any other advice (besides cabin location)? (I am of course reading the Antarctica forum here on CC.)

Again, many thanks!

Hi again,

I was surprised that there was no noise from above, below or beside my solo cabin (329) on the Main Deck. The only noise I heard was the squeaking of the ship and maybe the hangers in the closet moving. Even though it was lower and in the middle of the ship, if there was large movement it was still felt very much. When we had the 10 meter seas sometimes my window would go under water as the boat rocked side to side.

As to the trip, I loved it!! One thing that surprised me was that more of the passengers didn't come out on deck while we were sailing through some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.

I can try to answer any questions you might have. At some point I plan on writing a report and posting some pictures.

Julie

Julie, thanks so much for the info. Do you know what was on B Deck under your cabin? Crew quarters?

Was it difficult to assemble the packing list of clothes, boots, etc. that Lindblad sends you? Is there anything about the trip that you know after doing it that you wished you known before? Anything you wish you had taken and didn't, or stuff you packed but in hindsight could have left home? Since you offered, I'm just looking for some specific guidance on info like that, things that wouldn't jump out from reading the threads here on CC.

I'm like you -- I'd be out on deck as well. (That would be my plan anyway!) ... When we were in Alaska some years ago, one of the things we did was take a day long boat tour out into Kenai Fjords. It was August, but still quite cold out on the water. We'd dressed appropriately, and were able to spend the day out on deck, looking at the spectacular scenery and marine life. But so many other passengers spent the day sitting the overheated inside lounges.

Anyway, your info on Antarctica is much appreciated!

I think my room was over the mudroom/lockers/internet room. I never had any noise from down there at all. Unless there were people leaving the ship, there were very few times people were down below.

I had a lot of fun getting the clothes together. I had one of the suggested items, a rain coat. I had to buy long johns, fleece shirts and pants, boots, socks, waterproof pants and mittens.

I found most of the clothes at Sierra Trading Post and Altrec, both online discount clothing stores.

My socks (wigwam wool socks) and liner gloves I just happened to find at Costco.

My waterproof pants were really waterproof insulated ski pants, which worked so well that on some of the sunnier days I wore them just over the longjohns. I did wear the fleece pants over the longjohns on a few shore trips because it was so windy and snowy. The rain coat and pants were purchased at Eddie Bauer when they had their winter closeout sales.

I bought Muck Boots Arctic Sport boot, which was great. My feet stayed warm and dry with just a pair of liner socks (from REI) and the wigwam wool socks. I purchase them online with free shipping, so they were a little cheaper than purchasing them from the supplier that Lindblad suggests on their website.

The fleece shirts I bought to go over the migweight long underwear tops I purchased. They worked great under the parka that Lindblad provides. I also wore them around the ship.

I bought a pair of waterproof mittens during the winter sales but only wore them once off of the ship. The first time I wore them it was a pain to get them off to take pictures so I just left them on the ship the rest of the times. If the sun is out while you are on shore it really isn't that cold. Plus the adrenaline of just being in Antarctica kept me warm.

I bought a fleece hat with velcro for under the chin so that it would not come off during the zodiac rides. I wore this hat all the time while on deck and on shore, usually under the parka hood.

There were walking sticks available on the ship but I didn't find out about them till I had already purchased a travel walking stick at REI. I actually was glad to have mine. I just hung it up in the locker that held my boots.

One thing I worried about was the transportation of my camera stuff. I ended up buying a waterproof backpack and using it only twice! I did have a camera bag, which when I went ashore I took out and put over my shoulder. After the first couple of shore trips I just put the camera bag over my shoulder and got on the zodiac. I had a smaller camera which I would just put in my parka pocket. I thought about bringing a tripod but didn't and was glad I didn't, it would have been a problem to have had one.

So I hope this helps some. I know that I read so much about other peoples trips to try to get an idea about what to wear. It was so time consuming but fun.

Julie

Hi, Sorry to be chiming in late, I just saw this. We are going on Explorer to the Arctic this summer, and I scoured the internet for photos. Here was a site that had pics beyond the Lindblad official ones: http://www.beyondships.com/NG-Explorer-Photo-Tour-6.html Hope that is helpful!

That's a great link; thanks so much!

I wonder if all the Categories are correct, though, or the same on all the ship's intineraries. This shows a Cat 3 cabin with a queen sized bed, whereas Lindblad told me that the Cat 3 cabins have two fixed twins that can't be pushed together as a queen. At any rate, it's great to have those additional pics; thanks!

The cabins are the same for all Explorer itineraries, I believe. There are a few Cat 3 cabins that have queen beds; the rest have twins (they are marked in the Lindblad catalog & deck plans). (This is the same with a few other categories; for instance there are two Cat 1 cabins with queens; the rest are twins) So it may be that the Cat 3 queens are sold out on your particular sailing? Have a wonderful trip!

Turtles06,

Forgot to say that the one thing I did bring and was very happy I did, was a laptop. I originally brought it along to download my pictures each day but it also came in handy to get on the internet in my cabin. I purchased the 100 minutes for $55 internet card. It was enough time to get online a couple of times and let family know how everything was going. Downloading my pictures each time after we came back from shore was good to do and helped me keep track of which pictures were from which landing. Also at the end of the trip we had to pick out our 3 favorite pictures for the last night slide show. I had a memory stick I put the 3 pictures on and then the staff downloaded the pictures to their computer. After the slide show was made we could get a copy of it and the memory stick came in handy for that also.

Julie

We have been on Explorer for 2 months (2 30 day B2Bs) and found that a netbook is a must. We used it for the downloading and editing of photos as well as internet time. The cabins are wired for internet access and the cost is not outrageous. At a couple of port stops we could access free internet wireless!

Our cabin experience is limited - have only used the larger cabins located at the stern - some noticeable vibration but great views from a spacious balcony!

Archived