Does size matter to Princess?

Aussiemate

Does size really matter to Princess?

Oh the enduring topic of bringing wine on board.

The Princess contract doesn’t specify how much wine you can bring on board. “A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants."

My previous cruise I was amused by the very large of bottles wine I saw brought to the restaurants, certainly folks trying to get their $15 worth during tough financial times. The contract doesn’t seem to specify the size of the bottle. Generally good wine comes in a 750ml bottle. I couldn’t help wonder whether the contents of those large containers were actually drinkable, and perhaps companioned with the meal. Albeit, the wine Jesus made was in large water jugs, and it was the finest of all!

Perhaps I am wrong, and there is a secret to be shared by cruisers :)

Depending on the length of the cruise, we pack one or two wine boxes in our luggage. The brand we use is Vella, which is a cut above Almaden and others. These are 5 litre boxes, and are strictly for cabin consumption.

On formal night we order a bottle of wine from their list in the MDR. It makes no sense to take a $10 bottle of wine to the MDR and pay a $15 corkage

My previous cruise I was amused by the very large of bottles wine I saw brought to the restaurants, certainly folks trying to get their $15 worth during tough financial times. The contract doesn’t seem to specify the size of the bottle. Generally good wine comes in a 750ml bottle. I couldn’t help wonder whether the contents of those large containers were actually drinkable, and perhaps companioned with the meal. Albeit, the wine Jesus made was in large water jugs, and it was the finest of all!

I too thought above average wines couldn't be found in large bottles. Turns out, quite a few are available--something I only found out last week when perusing Winezap.

Depending on the length of the cruise, we pack one or two wine boxes in our luggage. The brand we use is Vella, which is a cut above Almaden and others. These are 5 litre boxes, and are strictly for cabin consumption.

Try Bota Box--our favorite (although harder to find) is the old vine zin. You might prefer a lighter varietal. In general, we've found it to be an excellent buy for the money--much more to our liking than the above labels. And usually preferable to Black Box, which is what we drank before finding Bota Box. We're thrilled to be finding an improvement in the wines sold in boxes, as glass doesn't travel very well by snowmachine in the winter. And then we have the box for fire starter instead of 3 heavy, empty glass bottles to haul back out.

In Australia there are some 2 litre "Casks" that are better than the sort of 5 l wine boxes what you see the folks drinking in the parks who wear winter coats in the summer.

Maybe the big bottles that seen in the dining rooms are actually premium wines from 750ml bottled that have been decanted into old and less-assuming "wine skins".

So does size matter to Princess?

Try Bota Box--our favorite (although harder to find) is the old vine zin. You might prefer a lighter varietal. In general, we've found it to be an excellent buy for the money--much more to our liking than the above labels. And usually preferable to Black Box, which is what we drank before finding Bota Box. We're thrilled to be finding an improvement in the wines sold in boxes, as glass doesn't travel very well by snowmachine in the winter. And then we have the box for fire starter instead of 3 heavy, empty glass bottles to haul back out.

Bota Box is Delicato wine. Sold by the bottle in many wine stores. It is also a favorite of ours to bring on board.

On formal night we order a bottle of wine from their list in the MDR. It makes no sense to take a $10 bottle of wine to the MDR and pay a $15 corkage

It does when they charge you $35 for that $10 bottle of wine!

It does when they charge you $35 for that $10 bottle of wine!

Good point...right now I'm drinking KJ VR Chardonnay, which I buy by the case when it's on sale for less than $10/bottle. Princess charges $32. I'd save $7/bottle if I brought my own and paid the corkage fee.

Unfortunately for my credit card balance, I don't want to hassle with bringing on enough wine for the cabin and the dining room. So, we usually order wines in the dining room that we don't buy at home so we don't feel so bad about the price!

Bota Box is Delicato wine. Sold by the bottle in many wine stores. It is also a favorite of ours to bring on board.

The wine cubes at Target also get great reviews on Wine Spectator's site. Can't beat 5 liters for $15-19! It also fits nicely in the mini fridge in the cabins!:)

My previous cruise I was amused by the very large of bottles wine I saw brought to the restaurants, certainly folks trying to get their $15 worth during tough financial times. The contract doesn’t seem to specify the size of the bottle. Generally good wine comes in a 750ml bottle. I couldn’t help wonder whether the contents of those large containers were actually drinkable, and perhaps companioned with the meal.

It depends how large you mean - magnums hold two regular bottles and jeroboams 3 regular bottles and are usually special purchases from well-known vineyards. I just looked on wine.com and they all seem to be Wine Spectator scores of 92 or higher at $150-$250 for a magnum; couldn't find any jeroboams but have seem them in our fav local wine shop...

We've got a couple magnums we would love to take - the question is how to get them there on the plane!!!

The wine cubes at Target also get great reviews on Wine Spectator's site. Can't beat 5 liters for $15-19! It also fits nicely in the mini fridge in the cabins!:)

3 liters (not 5) is the largest Target box wine. Their Cab-Shiraz is my favorite box wine:D It's on sale this week $15.99 instead of $17.99......

No wonder I go through it so fast!:p

I'm also fond of the 250ml boxes - you can just pop a straw in one My husband calls them "Hoya's juice boxes":D

Box wine is far easier for me to transport than bottles.

3 liters (not 5) is the largest Target box wine. Their Cab-Shiraz is my favorite box wine:D It's on sale this week $15.99 instead of $17.99......

I've tried this too and found it to be quite good. And it's definitely easier to travel with the box over a bottle.

I pour it in the glasses provided in the cabin then I go to the dining room and walk in with it....no issues ....

Another trick is to leave the bottle somewhere just outside of the dining room. Like in a plant or behind some furniture. If you run out of wine in your glass you will not have to go all the way back to your room to get more.

another trick is to leave the bottle somewhere just outside of the dining room. Like in a plant or behind some furniture. If you run out of wine in your glass you will not have to go all the way back to your room to get more.

too funny! :D :D :D

Google Maps is great to identify bottle shops close to port. Depending on location just send one member of the party off to get supplies from a local bottle-o before boarding. One time, at Canada Place, I got back off, had coffee with a friend, got back on with supplies (which I can't remember from where). The reboarding took only 5 minutes because everyone else was on ship.

Here's a hint -- If going by cab to ship, just get the cabbie to do a quick stop a bottle on route. Done this before, the helpful assistant knew how and what to pack to put into the luggage as cruise passengers were common customers.

I've done all that...bottles, casks, boxes etc...no problems with Princess..I suggest that the real limit is what you can carry, not some simple amount set out in the travel documents.

However...there is another limit...if you ever go to Cooktown (North Queensland in Australia)..there is a local rule that forbids the bottle shop selling cask wine before 6pm...apparently something to do with the indigenous people. When I was there last on Sun Princess I was looking to stock up with supplies as we were heading off to Darwin with 3 sea days ahead of us. Sorry said the man, can;t sell you those boxes...you will have to buy bottles.

I can tell you that carting 4 bottles back to the ship was about all I could manage.

Oh well, still had a great cruise

cheers

Archived