Tsunami headed towards Hawaii & West Coast

cdamion

Any ideas what happens with the ships along the coast?

Paradise, Splendor & Spirit are all somewhere along the CA/Mexico coast. I know it won't really be noticeable at sea, but I know Paradise is supposed to arrive/depart Long Beach today.

a ncl crew member friend on facebook has been reporting the tsunami sirens have been going off, and they are headed for sea within minutes, trying to reach other crew that are off the ship.

msnbc continues to report what they see other shows reporting.

Ships will not remain in port. They would have to be at sea. When in port, enough crew and staff must remain on board at all times to be able to operate the ship and it's safety systems. They would leave the dock with or without any passengers or crew that was off-ship so they can in deeper water when the tsunami passes.

First and foremost, I have to say God Bless the country of Japan, they are going through a national crisis right now and as of 8:00 am on 3/11 their death total is steadily rising (30+ right now). Also, I hope I don't get flamed for this comment, no offense was intended at any non-religious people etc.

As far the ships, does anyone know if there were any ships on course for Hawaii? I wonder what would happen to ships that were at sea and on course for Hawaii- what if they were already in Hawaii:eek:. At the time of this posting it is 4 minutes until the first wave hits (the water is moving towards Hawaii at 800mph! The later waves are supposed to be even worse). I hope the damage isn't too bad and that no lives are lost.

flamed for a well wish or a message of kindness? and apologizing for such? is this where are civilization has placed us?

i certainly hope those are reserved for messages of hate.

not civilization - cruise critic. everyone around here is gun shy now

The ships in port would be sent out to sea where they will barely notice the waves. Crusie ships are way too valuble assets to the companies to put them in harms way.

My prayers go out to those in Japan and others who have been affected by this disaster.

Oh boy, We are getting ready to head to long beach to board the paradise. I hope this doesn't affect our cruise. I just heard on the local news that the waves are expected to hit CA coasts approx 8:30am to 8:40am. All coasts and marinas are currently closed. This came from the Orange County Sheriffs Dept.

According to Fox (yeah, I'm one of those) some of the 7th fleet is on the way to Japan.

We are also sending planes with the ability to search and rescue (Coast Guard?).

Sure glad I live in a country that has the ability to help in these situations.

The real question is...who will come help us????

mimi

I know, its a shame I had to put that caption about not being flamed, but you know how some posters can be and I wanted to nip that situation in the bud before it even happend! I post on CNN as well and of course all the "prayer" comments got flammed so I posted:

"This is not about a theological debate. As a Christian I should be able to say a prayer without being attacked about it. An atheist and/or non-Christian should be able to show empathy without being attacked as well. Japan, and possibly very soon, the U.S. has gone through a national tradgey- I think we all agree in saying that we wish them the best and hope that their losses are minimal"

On another note, my co-workers daughters family is based out of Pearl Harbor, she said the navy ships are actually going out to sea, so they will feel way less impact (I thought this was VERY interesting).

Archived