Royal Caribbean -New Alcoholic Beverage Packages

Elizanessie

Burgmeister, can you check (once onboard) and see if you can buy the package for just a handful of nights rather than the entire cruise?

Carolyn

My wife and I will be on the IOTS tomorrow where this deal will apparently be available. We don't really drink beer but we do like a couple of cocktails whilst on holiday. However, if we both sign up to the middle package (where some cocktails are available) for the duration it would equate to $858!! $858 just for drinks on an 11 night cruise seems like a hell of a lot when you consider the price of teh whole cruise. Add to that the ongoing problems IOTS currently has with Norovirus (or, perhaps food poisoning - symptoms are similar) and if you are unlucky enough to be struck down, you won't want to drink anyway.

Just my tuppence worth

Not sure that it's true that the packages don't include non-alcoholic beverages -- at least not on Celebrity (we'll inquire about RCI). On Eclipse last week I had the $49 per day premium package and it covered everything -- fresh-squeezed OJ from the Oceanview, caffe mocha at al Bacio, and diet cokes galore, in addition to alcohol....

Carolyn

With these packages ...a sticker will be put on your sea pass card to show which Package you have bought.

These packages do not include non alcoholic drinks, soda fountain drinks or speciality coffees or teas, bottled water or juices.

A much better idea would be to have a system similar to the OBC system, you buy a package at amount X and regardless of how many people are in your round the cost is deducted from the total amount.

So if there was only 2 of you and you had paid say $150 for 7 nights the figure reduces for every drink you buy and is charged to your seapass card ... so 2 drinks at say $7 each reduces your balance accordingly and does not matter if you buy for 6 people on one night ..... :)

This would be a far better idea and cannot be abused because when you have spent your $150 you would either have to pay more in at customer services or have no more drinks.

Holland America sells $50 or $100 cards (for any bar drinks) for $40 or $90. This gives you a 10% discount on drinks. You use your card as you buy drinks and the amount is deducted from your card. It doesn't matter how many drinks for how many people you buy. You got your 10% discount off the top. I thought this worked out pretty good. DH ended up buying 3 $100 cards throughout the cruise, so he saved 30% on the bar bill.

Holland America sells $50 or $100 cards (for any bar drinks) for $40 or $90. This gives you a 10% discount on drinks. You use your card as you buy drinks and the amount is deducted from your card. It doesn't matter how many drinks for how many people you buy. You got your 10% discount off the top. I thought this worked out pretty good. DH ended up buying 3 $100 cards throughout the cruise, so he saved 30% on the bar bill.

He didnt save 30%!! its still only 10%....:confused:

Sounds like great news - but is this deal only available to the card holder -

or could I buy a drink for a friend or acquaintance using the same card?;)

The package is only for the passenger who purchased it. It is not for sharing with friends. From the announcement:

"All above prices include gratuities and are based on per guest per day basis"

If only one out of a couple bought say the $29 package how would they know if you bought yourself a Beer in one bar and wandered off around the ship and bought your partner a Glass of Wine in another bar! assuming you were on your own that is when you purchased them!

They might not know, but that doesn't make it right. If enough people do that, they will probably stop offering the packages because that would cut into their bottom line significantly. People "buying" rounds of drinks for 20 people on one package; couples/families sharing; someone buying drinks for a new friend. After a while that kind of thing would become noticeable.

I can't believe it. So all our moaning about the price of drinks may have paid of. R.C.I. have at last realised that the majority of cruisers from the U.K. perhaps would not return to their ships year in year out with such heavy drinks prices. Our golden Wedding Celebration with all the family in July will after all not have to be a dry celebration. Looking forward to how these new packages break down when buying rounds of drinks. Any ideas?/

Sure. You use your package to "buy" your drink. You pay additionaly separately for everyone else's drinks. Your one package doesn't entitle you to provide drinks for a group. Of course, you could always purchase the package for everyone in your family/group, but that would get pretty expensive too.

Wondering if this offer will encourage increased alcohol consumption by those that decide to purchase these booze packages? I realize that alcohol sales contribute to the bottom line for RCCL, but do you really want a "Booze Cruise" atmosphere to exist for your passengers?

I enjoy a drink before dinner and don't mind paying for that privilege......but don't wish to cruise with a ship full of drunks!

It's possible and perhaps likely that some people will get into the mindset of "I paid for it, I'm going to get my money's worth and drink 24 hours a day." I think though that most who buy the package will do so because they do a cost-benefit analysis for whether it's beneficial for them. In other words, they would probably drink a fair amount anyway. As long as I'm not negatively affected by it, I don't really mind/care if someone spends the whole cruise drunk. Some people get stupid and rude after only 2 drinks, while others can have 6 drinks during the day and still be fun to be around.

What would happen if you bought a package, but was not a big drinker, would they refuse to serve you if you showed signs of being drunk. If they did would that make the contract null and void.

I'm not sure, but do you mean that if they refused to serve someone who was obviously drunk then the cruise line would be breaking the contrac and therefore, the passenger wouldn't be bound by the "one person, one package" rule? If so, I doubt that would fly because the passenger rules of conduct aren't suspended if you buy an alcohol package.

I,m only guessing but on thomsons ships if you want the all inclusive package everyone in your booking party has to have it because of obvious reasons , so I suspect RCI will do the same otherwise it would be wide open to abuse.

I do fear some people will try to abuse it, but if it's similar to Celebrity's then they won't make it a requirement for everyone in your party. Besides, it's just as easy to try and abuse it by "buying a round" for 20 new friends as it is to abuse it by buying one and two people sharing it. And many people who might be interested on an individual basis wouldn't consider it if everyone in their party was required to buy it. For example, my DH doesn't drink alcohol, so that would never work for us.

beachchick

Well, I was on a RC cruise last year several times. i think for me and my husband it would be good. We like a bottle of wine with lunch, and maybe a pre dinner drink, odd cocktail in the day maybe. At dinner we like a bottle of nice wine every night along with a night cap. So I am assuming for us, these packages would be worth it.

Our next cruise is on the Celebrity equinox, would anyone give us an idea if they think this is worth doing.

Thanks Lisa

Burgmeister, can you check (once onboard) and see if you can buy the package for just a handful of nights rather than the entire cruise?

Carolyn

Carolyn ..you have to buy the package for the whole cruise ..if you purchase it on the 2nd day you still pay for the whole cruise...so if you bought it on 2nd day of 7 night cruise you pay the price per day x 7.

Not sure that it's true that the packages don't include non-alcoholic beverages -- at least not on Celebrity (we'll inquire about RCI). On Eclipse last week I had the $49 per day premium package and it covered everything -- fresh-squeezed OJ from the Oceanview, caffe mocha at al Bacio, and diet cokes galore, in addition to alcohol....

Carolyn

Sorry Carolyn it does state clearly on the RCCL chart that Non Alcoholic drinks are NOT Included.

As an enhancement to Royal Caribbean International’s beverage program, we are excited to announce the launch of three Beverage Package options, giving our guests a no-hassle way to enjoy an all-inclusive beverage experience during their cruise holiday

If soft drinks, coffee etc is not included in the packages, then the highlighted part of their own announcement is incorrect, surely?

I hope they clear this up as it will cause confusion and consternation amongst passengers & crew alike. Maybe with CC getting in touch with them to clarify, they will either change the written description by removing the all-inclusive part and adding a disclaimer that the packages only apply to alcohol, or they will actually add in the non-alcoholic beverages too, thus the packages will be what they are trying to portray.

If the announcement was worded wrongly and they did not read it before launching it, they need to make that clear...and apologise for the confusion.

That aside, regardless as to whether the packages are all-inclusive or not, they are still one of the most expensive across the mainstream lines (all of them, not just Costa).

It requires clarification quickly.

JMO :o

If soft drinks, coffee etc is not included in the packages, then the highlighted part of their own announcement is incorrect, surely?

You don't think the title of the announcement ..New Alcoholic Beverage Packages, which is on the RCCL UK website amongst other places...rather shows what the packages are for?

Key word---Alcoholic :D

my last cruise on FOS last august has completely turned me off of cruises for awhile at least - reason being the drunks on board. It was only my second cruise but there were so many drunk and disorderly people onboard that not only my patience was being overworked but security as well.

If/when they start offering this drinking package I will most certainly stay off of those ships. Needless to say I barely drink, maybe one or two drinks per week, my DH drinks everyday but at least on cruises with the high drink prices he cuts down and he is much more enjoyable to be with.

This sounds interesting! It's also less expensive than the water packages???!!! Why is that??? If someone is going to drink to excess, I think they'll do it regardless. Sounds like the cruises are trying to be "all inclusive" to a certain extent. What will this offering do to the price of the actual cruise as I know the cruise lines make quite a bit from the sale of alcohol?

I wouldnt say what Dave mentioned would be classed as a heavy drinker!! I dont drink like that every day, but could quite easily do it on holiday cos thats what they are for...

So I think we will probably by the drinks package, then I wont be worried about the cost of a few beers. If the option is there, I would probably buy it every other day, or on days we are not in port

Jane:D

I agree, we had the $39 package last summer on the Eclipse, we are 2 single women and this package gave us the independence to 'turn down' the offer of a drink at the bar,politely without offending.....we also knew at the end of the trip how much our Bar bill was going to be!! (N0 nasty shocks!) We would normally have a couple of cocktails before dinner, wine with our meal and a couple of drinks after......Not excessive,but, can work out expensive over a week or two!!

We hope this becomes popular with ALL Cruiselines!!!

Definitely something we would consider! Just buying a bucket of beer is around the same cost - so this would eliminate having to do that.

Let's hope it gets rolled out fleet wide - and hopefully one day - industry wide!!

Terry

Wow, $29 per day PER PERSON :eek:, so 2 in cabin is $58 per day. Heck, no. We usually drink a half bottle of wine with dinner BETWEEN us, so a bottle lasts the two of us 2 meals. If we indulge in a cocktail, then we won't have wine with dinner. That makes us EXTREMELY light drinkers, but I'm 67 and my usual shipmate is 82, a little alc goes a long way (esp with the meds I am on per day).

Even if it includes soft drinks, that hefty a price per day (for the CHEAPEST pkg even) wouldn't tempt us. We both like the free lemonade a lot, and drink tea or coffee mostly from the free side.

We'll stick with the wine packages.

Good to see that RCI have opted to try this out as the Celebrity one is good and better value. We were on Constellation last June and the package is sold as you arrive for embarkation prior to actually setting foot on the ship, so if you so wish you can be having your first drink at around midday.

The only drawback with the RCI offer is the fact that tea and speciality coffes and of course soft drinks and bottled water are NOT included. Why this is the case I do not know. My wife for example during the day whilst relaxing on her sunbed would order a sprite or coke, knowing that she would probably be having a few wines and vodkas in the evening. Now she would have to pay so would just instead order a vodka and coke which would be in effect free.

Bearing in mind that the price of soft drinks is not much less than a bottle of beer then this could encourage more drinking. We will still be taking this offer up of course when we embark on our Cork mini cruise the end of April. I hope there is no stipulation that the offer only say applies to cruises of 7 nights or more.!

Also as we enjoy our cocktails in the Champagne bar a bit apprehensive as to what cocktails will be included, bearing in mind that many use Tanqeary gin and Absolute vodka etc. Still I am sure there will always be a fair amount of choice. We will probably be going for the $39 offer which is drinks up to $10 I believe.

My husband and I have cruised more than 30 times and after having this on Regents, we have suggested it on everyother cruise line we've used. I think it's a great idea. Instead of sneaking bottles on board and drinking in our cabin, we will enjoy the rest of the benefits of the ship without worrying about the additional costs. We want to know what our vacation will cost without surprises.

I personally love the drink packages. I have sailed with Celebrity twice and purchased the drink packaged both times. I like the fact that there are no surprises at the end of the cruise when I get my bill. And, no, I do not think it caused me to drink in excess.

I thought one of the best selling points of the Celebrity package was unlimited sodas, fruit juices, and specialty coffees, and water in addition to just beer, wine and cocktails. That made it worth it for us to purchase the package for 1 of us and 'share' behind the scenes (he gets the beer, I get the water, coffee, sodas!) Wouldn't pay the price for just the beer, wine, cocktails only if that is what RCCL is trying to push.

I would have to print out the price list to figure out what alcohol is or isn't included in my package. Who feels like doing that? Too many details. I can only imagine if this concept really takes, all the binge drinking going on to make sure people are getting their moneys worth, or people wanting to get more than what they paid for. How would gratuities work? Are they included in the package? I usually have a bar attendant that always finds me and does above and beyond service. I tend to tip them higher than the automated amount. How would that work? It seems like more difficulty for the servers. Would they still give good service or start slacking?

We have purchased the Premium package on Celebrity on our past cruises and LOVED IT. We are not heavy drinkers but when we are on vacation we tend to drink a bit earlier than our normal 6 PM Happy hour at home. The drinks do add up... I also like the fact that I can get big bottles of water, at dinner I we have Pellegrino with our dinner (sometimes 2 bottles). It also includes all the soda's too. Every time we are in port we grab 2 big bottles of Evian which is also included. We actually prepay before we sail and it sure is nice to get a bill at the end of our cruise that has 5-6 pages of 0.00's :D Also the past cruise were 11 days each and all the people that had the package were not abusing it. We also like the fact that you only pay 15% per day on the package, so if you choose the Premium pacage @49.00 per day your tip was $7.35 per day and that was it. It also cuts down on tracking all those receipts that you have to sign for, for the most part they never gave you a receipt.

I have been wanting to try RC but I really like the drink packages that Celebrity is offering. If RC extends it throughout the rest of their line I would surely give them a try.

This is just a new way to keep cruisers spending more money on the overpriced drinks on the ship and to keep their staff busy. We just came back from a cruise on the Eclipse. On sea days they offered two "happy hours" per day with 2-4-1 drink prices which was a fabulous idea (but it really screwed the all-u-can-drinkers). After two days of unlimited imbibing, you get so sick of booze that you forget all the specials offered off the ship at ports, especially in Mexico and other small islands that want your money. Couple all the deals along with ships getting very lax on bringing wine and beer on board (especially during the last days of the cruise), the last night they deliver the liquor you bought on shore to open and enjoy before you dock! Now you will understand why " pay-as-you-go" is a more sensible choice.

From a well seasoned cruiser and drinker

Archived