Shipmate App. on your phone

Neotericisis

I checked it out on my iPod and they want 1.99 for it. Were do you find it for free. I am new to this apps thing also. Thanks

I have a Droid and it was free, I thought it was free for Iphone too- if its not then I wouldnt buy it because I am cheap LOL. Its just fun to carry around my cruise obsessivness on my phone :D

Also, this app. has helped me out already because it lists after cruise excursions. I never even thought about this! We are leaving from MIA so we could go to South Beach or the Everglades and still be back in time for our plane (eligible for flights after 2:30-3pm), they keep the luggage etc. I am def. going to look into this option for my next cruise- I've been to SoBe and love it, but I really want to experience the Everglades! Our current departurne is too early (DH's fault!!), but next time this is a must!

My favorite part of the app is the deck maps that they have. I was showing my during lunch on embarkation day on the Dream a few weeks ago, and one of the waiters came up to me and asked me how I had a deck map of the ship on my phone, so I showed him the app as well. Great for doing research, viewing ship cams, etc.

FWIW - That shipmate app uses ship tracking information from that sailwx.info website, so it's information is only as good as whats collected by that website. The way I understand it, the sailwx info on the site is only as good as the info the ships report to it, which I've read to be somewhat iffy, depending on the ships location and the instrumentation used to report it's location...not an exact "science" from what I've read.

The locations of the Pride and Legend were mentioned in this thread as seemingly unmoving or lost!! If you go to the sailwx website, it reports that the Legend has not updated its location info to sailwx since 11/10...The Pride is sort of "hit or miss"...it seems "stuck" then it's position changes..I'm interested in the Pride since we'll be on her again this summer.

FWIW - That shipmate app uses ship tracking information from that sailwx.info website, so it's information is only as good as whats collected by that website. The way I understand it, the sailwx info on the site is only as good as the info the ships report to it, which I've read to be somewhat iffy, depending on the ships location and the instrumentation used to report it's location...not an exact "science" from what I've read.

The locations of the Pride and Legend were mentioned in this thread as seemingly unmoving or lost!! If you go to the sailwx website, it reports that the Legend has not updated its location info to sailwx since 11/10...The Pride is sort of "hit or miss"...it seems "stuck" then it's position changes..I'm interested in the Pride since we'll be on her again this summer.

That explains the problem everyone is reporting.

I never really tried using that function on the app, as I already had another app for tracking ships, which works great.

(I did check the Legend once and like somebody said, it was just east of Grand Cayman.)

I think it is called Marine Traffic.

Bill

The Ship Mate administrators are fabulous about addressing issues. I sent them an email that my upcoming cruise was missing from the app and they responded almost immediately asking me which cruise it was. I gave them the info and they responded again saying I should see it with the next update! So be sure to send them your concerns (and praises, of course). :)

Just downloaded the app on my iPhone 4 for $1.99 with no problems. It's a great app, but I won't be using it on the ship. Don't want to have to pay the charges AT&T will charge while out of the country!

For those just wanting deck plans on your phone... go to cruisdeckplans.com and use their free tool to create a PDF then sync or email that to your phone.

I've read the reviews of the Shipmate apps and they are pretty rough saying the updates are not frequent and the data is often out of date. I have not tried the app myself.

• 1 year later...
I love this app, but will not use it on board...I think the charges would be really expensive. I know some people turn off there data and still have been charged...so I'll just use it here for now.

I used it while on the ship and had no charges, I just turned my iPhone into airline mode and was able to use the stored deck plans just fine.

I used it while on the ship and had no charges, I just turned my iPhone into airline mode and was able to use the stored deck plans just fine.

Did you turn it to airplane mode before you sailed. I did this in Canada and it worked just fine. No charges. But in Aruba I made the mistake of turning it on and then turning on airplane mode and I received a $20 bill from Verizon. I think it was because it downloaded automatic updates when I turned on.

Did you turn it to airplane mode before you sailed. I did this in Canada and it worked just fine. No charges. But in Aruba I made the mistake of turning it on and then turning on airplane mode and I received a $20 bill from Verizon. I think it was because it downloaded automatic updates when I turned on.

Those automatic updates will kill you...lol. Before I got my smart phone, I left my phone on for messages...I don't even turn it on now...I think I will survive! But I do love the app!

Archived