Medical Emergency on Spirit

jenpan

I am sorry for all of your inconvenience. That is one thing he never would have wanted was to inconvenience people, especially like this.

I hope you all make it home safely. ((Hug your loved ones today!))

I am so sorry for your loss.. I once had a family pass away while on a beach vacation.. :( I wish your family well!

I know people are mad at the way there vacation ended and how its starting but people please relax NCL did all they could to save a persons life.. No matter how much problems this has caused the rest of you.. You are still able to board this ship and have a wonderful vacation.. One familys lifes are changed forever.. Just relax and say prayer for the one who passed away!

So sorry that the passenger didn't make it

D just texted me that she is finally parked- she is 18 and has definitely been challenged with driving in NO- which I had no idea she would be doing-she is with a family and they took 2 cars

the text said we are parked and will text when we get on ship but it's going to be awhile-

Just talked to her -said she spent an hour in parking deck-followed someone out of elevator to get their place

Said people getting off-were saying Do not get on- ran out of drinks etc- I told her it would be fine

she sounds exhausted and I warned her about the spring breakers

she also said she knew the delay couldn't be helped-I told her that he died-she said that's so sad- what a good kid...

I am sorry for your family's loss.

I'm one of the family members of the passenger that was airlifted. While I wasn't on the ship from what I understand, their actions to change course to facilitate the airlift was them doing all they could do to attempt to save his life. I sincerely thank each of you inconvenienced in this matter for your support. I especially thank the captain and crew for their efforts. I hope everyone arrives safely.

I hope to see him once again in heaven, may he now rest in peace.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I am sorry for all of your inconvenience. That is one thing he never would have wanted was to inconvenience people, especially like this.

I hope you all make it home safely. ((Hug your loved ones today!))

He passed away very early this morning (middle of the night). I am not sure why they would have told passengers he was stable.

My son works on board. Not sure who he heard it from. I will pass on the info to him. Again, I'm sorry to hear this.

sorry to hear that the passenger died- must have been serious

She knows not to take drinks from strangers-I hope she doesn't- guess I get to worry now all week!!

Obviously you will worry because you sound like a good and responsible parent, but don't worry too much. If you trained her right, she will be just fine with her friend and their family.

I am sorry for your loss also. The person was with the group we were traveling with. There was not official announcement of the passing. We found out from others in our group.

However the handling of the Costa Maya by pass was totally messed up. The captain didn't tell us until everyone was on deck and ready to go ashore. Evidently from stories we were told by ranking crew members he knew 2 hours before we probably couldn't dock due to timing. There was so little communication we didn't really know what was going on until we waved at CM.

The mess we experienced today was unacceptable. At 5 PM we docked. There was no announcement about the off loading process until 7 PM. It then took 1:30 to get from the ship through customs. Total chaos reigned.

I fault the entire ships management for their gross incompetence and extremely poor customer service.

May NCL go the way of Montgomery Ward And other failed consumer businesses.

I'm one of the family members of the passenger that was airlifted. While I wasn't on the ship from what I understand, their actions to change course to facilitate the airlift was them doing all they could do to attempt to save his life. I sincerely thank each of you inconvenienced in this matter for your support. I especially thank the captain and crew for their efforts. I hope everyone arrives safely.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you can find some comfort during this difficult time.

I am so sorry for your loss..my heart goes out to your family, especially the ones who were on the ship with him. Know that there are many prayers being sent your way!

We made it home safely!

So sorry for the loss of the passenger and for his family. I still believe the ship made the right choice, even though the decision affected many.

The port was quite a mess!!

Dr. Food, I agree wholeheartedly, the spring breakers were a bit much! I witnessed kids sharing the infamous "drink card" quite a bit. You couldn't get near the pool, get a deck chair, etc. We had a dinner ressie for 8pm Sat. night at Teppenyaki. We were on time, the rest of the people for the reservation had to be called to come to dinner. They were on their way, said some of the group was seasick. They arrived at 8:30. In Teppenyaki, the dinner starts at the same time for everyone, so if someone is late the rest of the group has to wait for the meal to begin. I felt bad for the wait staff because they were frustrated at having to try and wait for the late folks while we were on time and ready. Well, when they showed up it was quite obvious so one was seasick, they were a little hungover. A group of spring breakers, one did apologize for holdin up the meal, but no one else. Then they wanted wine and couldn't find their drink cards, so 2 of them had to leave and go get drink cards from their cabins. I'm sure I'm old fashioned, older than the spring break crowd, but SOME, not all, have no sense of responsibility or courtesy.

I do feel sorry for the staff on the boat. They too are affected by not having any time to rest, etc. I would see the same person working at 10:00pm in a restaurant and then at breakfast the next morning. Not sure how much sleep they get.

Well, going to get some rest so I can go to work tomorrow. Will write a review later. Good night all!

So sorry for your loss. This is definitely not caused by your tragedy but is instead NCL's lack of organization that some peoplle willl not get on the ship for hours yet.. 8t is 10:30 and we are no where near b eing checked in. No food until about fifteen minutes ago, no waterand no restrooms until you get thru security. No crowd control. People were jumping the line in droves. A terrible situatiom.

Thank you so much for letting us know about your family member. It is not the outcome that I had hoped and prayed for. I have been reading this board all day to see if there would be any word and I am so sorry that he did not make it. This makes me very sad. It is such a happy and exciting experience to go on a cruise and to have it end like this must be such an awful thing for a family to have to go through. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with your family.

We finally made it. 6 hours from start to finish. Checkin after security took 2 hours. Our line had 2 people working the desk and 8 people standing around watching. The other line had 5 people working the check in desk. They were getting through 3 times faster. No information on food when we boarded, departure, missed ports, etc. I understand and support the reason for the delay, but it was made much worse than it should have been. A women behind me passed out and hit her head on the concrete from standing in line for so long with no food.

Tomorrow is another day.

Those of you stuck in traffic, imagine how you would feel if you were his sister or his daughter, driving many hours to get to your home town after your brother or father just died! Would you rather be stuck in traffic after having/about to start a week's vacation, or just finding out your brother or father died? So your trip is delayed a little and you are going to miss a port.....these ladies' lives just changed forever, and while you are planning fun things to do, they are planning a funeral for a young man! One of his closest family members has already posted in this thread, so rest assured that they are seeing your complaints and are not understanding the importance of your delay or understanding your gripes about how long it is taking to board.

I have known him for 40 years. He may have saved one of your lives, or someone you know and love during his career.

I probably should have hit backspace again, but after reading some of the posts I saw, I couldn't hold back any longer.

Those of you stuck in traffic, imagine how you would feel if you were his sister or his daughter, driving many hours to get to your home town after your brother or father just died! Would you rather be stuck in traffic after having/about to start a week's vacation, or just finding out your brother or father died? So your trip is delayed a little and you are going to miss a port.....these ladies' lives just changed forever, and while you are planning fun things to do, they are planning a funeral for a young man! One of his closest family members has already posted in this thread, so rest assured that they are seeing your complaints and are not understanding the importance of your delay or understanding your gripes about how long it is taking to board.

I have known him for 40 years. He may have saved one of your lives, or someone you know and love during his career.

I probably should have hit backspace again, but after reading some of the posts I saw, I couldn't hold back any longer.

So sorry for your loss....

I agree with you, so you got delayed on your vacation, who cares..... put yourself if the other persons' shoes... a delay is so miniscule in the overall picture!!

Thoughts and prayers to the friends and family during this difficult time.

You have said everything I have been thinking...we should all take a moment to be thankful for every day we have!

That cruise that just came back sounds like a nightmare! Even without someone passing away!

We will never, ever go on a cruise during college spring break. The kids now have no manners or respect for anybody else. We had a perfect cruise on the Spirit just 8 days ago. Lucky we missed the spring break crowd.

That cruise that just came back sounds like a nightmare! Even without someone passing away!

We will never, ever go on a cruise during college spring break. The kids now have no manners or respect for anybody else. We had a perfect cruise on the Spirit just 8 days ago. Lucky we missed the spring break crowd.

We were on 02/27-03/06.. and it was terrific... thank goodness we picked the dates we did!! Couldn't even begin to imagine what last week OR this week will be like!!

The NCL Sun (March 5-12) also had a medical emergency requiring return to Cozumel for a heart attack (at the time it was a survivor but not sure of current status) requiring us to miss Guatemala.

My husband sat with the Security Officer for a bit to ask some questions about the contingency plans they could have employed. Apparently being 3-hrs from Cozumel we werent available to airlift and/or boat extraction thus teh return.

No fists please, but we werent 'fine' to miss a port that we've waited 8-mos to see (we're on deployment R&R) While we were happy to hear the patient was stable/critical on board and remained that way during the return and check-in into hospital, we were equally sad that we couldnt visit a country we planned to. Likewise the sea day 'compensatorty' activities required payments and were geared to the Spring Breakers. Yes, we had more money to spend on a sea day but that's the not point.

This was our first NCL cruise and based on the overall quality, we prefer Princess (and we missed a port on that cruise too due to weather)

So sorry to hear of the passing of the passenger. Sorry also for the trouble to his fellow passengers but have to agree with others that some inconvenience was unavoidable. I am watching from afar but would have to say that probably not all the confusion was NCL's fault but maybe the port of NOLA. These delays, for various reasons, are not infrequent and there should be a plan to handle them more efficiently. Boarding passengers could have been processed and luggage checked and marshalled during the day perhaps at another site nearby. Extra terminal personnel should have been brought in. The cruise business is good for NOLA and any other city and should be made as easy as possible even when poor circumstances arise.

Again, my condolences to the family and friends of the deceased!

We will never, ever go on a cruise during college spring break. The kids now have no manners or respect for anybody else.

We said the same thing 19 years ago when we were on a spring cruise on the Norway. Of course, college kids are not all the same, but unfortunately, the disrepectful, loud, heavy-drinking ones stand out so much they skew everyone's thinking to make generalizations. As for the younger kiddos, having to wait endlessly for the elevators because so many chidren would push the button for every deck and having my mother knocked down because of them running so fast in the hallways, was equally unpleasant. The bottom line is, we haven't cruised in the month of March since. I just hope our cruise in April will have them all back in school again.:eek: Of course, all the well-behaved, sweet ones are welcome.;)

Archived