Luggage

OceanSea

from Steinmart, made in U.K. got it last week...the pull out handle is not the usual slide your hand in size..it is most of the way all across the top..and all handles are padded w/soft foam sleeving..so there is no "inside ditch" of metal handle. It is kinda puffy..sturdy Nylon..deep cafe au lait w/ blk piping in colour.. there were several sizes available. I don't have to pay bag fees, and can check 2, but I still schlepp them when I have too. Can be picked up w/ a finger ! my "getting "one is over 8#'s.

:D

Not to devalue anything you have said here, but just to share a funny story:

About 15 years ago I needed some luggage but really could not afford much. I bought a set that was cheap but realy ugly (Thinking it would last me a few trips until I could get somethign better when I was in a better financial position) - Well, you know I still have that ugly luggage - it just won't wear out! (Maybe it was a good set that was just marked down because no one would buy anything so ugly :D). I have bought a nicer set since, but still use the rollaboard from the ugly set occasionally.

Hang on to that old ugly piece, it's probably more well made than almost anything out there now. Back in the times where manufacturing came with pride of workmanship and wasn't constructed as cheaply as the company could get away with.

Rimowa has an interesting thing they do with their luggage. Every piece has a serial number, date of manufacturing and they can tell where/who made it. Quality control at its best, not just slapped together. Some well known lines have been sold off in years past, they rely on the name brand to make the consumer think they are still getting the same quality of past years.

I have a Heys 25 inch polycarbonate clamshell suitcase. It has 4 little wheels and a 2 position handle. Rolls very well on smooth (wood/marble etc) surfaces upright on 4 wheels. I prefer to roll on 2 wheels on carpet or sidewalk etc. The weight of my suitcase empty is 6.2 pounds (compared to my regular cloth 2 wheel roller at 14.1 pounds). The zippers are great and I have expandable by about 2 inches -- a wonderful feature. I agree with whoever said packing cubes -- I just use plastic bags or zippered bags.

I have used my bag bought at TJMax for $59 for over 2 years and probably 95 days of travel by boat, plane, car, bus and you name it. It still looks right decent though there are a few scuffs on the red exterior. I can pack it full and be at just about 45 pounds which is excellent (I keep packing til the suitcase is really full). I love this case but not so much the clamshell design because have to have room to fully open. Fits under a cruise bed with excellence or stands by itself (full or empty) and other bags/purse etc can sit on the top or hang from the bag without trouble.

I have had expensive brands and this cheaper one. If this one were to break, I would try for the same bag again -- for the price and the weight it is doing the job in an excellent manner.

Archived