Luggage

OceanSea

Has anyone here used Heys luggage? Am looking at getting a piece (small) so I can have some sort of rolling luggage.

Also would like to get a larger rolling suitcase and so I am looking for recommendations! I really am looking at keeping the cost down though so under $200. We don't fly and if we ever do it won't be frequent so just looking for sturdy, durable luggage. :)

TJ Maxx and Marshalls have quite a nice selection of Heys luggage in various sizes. I am also interested in these and the prices are reasonable. The 20" should be easy to hoist overhead inside the plane. Good luck!

I paid about $60 for my large suitcase from my local cheap to average price department store. I have taken it on 1 domestic and and 2 international holidays which works out at about 12 times it has been handled by baggage handlers. 1 cruise so 14 times and on my last holiday we were on a tour moving every other day so it has been pulled in and out of a bus quite a few times.

Its still in good condition. Nothing is broken or torn. The fabric looks quite thick and firm and the zips looked sturdy when i bought it. Figure out a price your willing to pay and look around at lots of different types. Be sure to ask how much the case weights or buy a luggage scale and take it with you and weight them your self

I just bought 2 pieces of Delsey. So far it looks and feels nice. I'll have to see how it holds up in 2 weeks to the airline and cruiseline! I bought a 24" roller and 32" rolling duffle. Went through Luggage Factory, quick free shipping.

Both my carry-on spinner and my large rolling suitcase are made by Kathy Van Zeeland. I travel a lot - at least 6 trips a year - and both of my bags are still in fantastic shape. I've gotten a lot of compliments on them, too - they're gorgeous bags.

I know Marshall's used to carry them, but I don't know if they still do. But you can get them on luggage.com, and they have free shipping.

I have some of the signature bags sold by ebags.com. They have many types and brands of luggage and handbags, are very reasonably priced and usually give free shipping over a certain amount. They are currently running a 20%off sale. There's almost always some kind of sale! http://www.ebags.com/

here are the bags by ebags: http://www.ebags.com/category/bags-by-ebags/10051/h/best-of-the-best

Happy ks works at a luggage store and is very helpful with what to look for when buying.:)

I don't know Heys but I do know Costco. Their luggage is marvelous! It's well made and sturdy and comes with tons of extras. My friends who buy $$ Eagle Creek luggage say that Costco matches them and then some. If you're a Costco member, check out what they have to offer.

The only Heys pieces we carry are the Disney ones for kids, they are really cute. Only one other time did we have other Heys pieces and I liked them, but be careful about cleaning them. My boss tried to get a scuff off a piece and used a Magic Eraser and plain water...the finish came off along with the spot!

Long story, but it was funny, the assist. manager argued with the customer about the return, I wanted to drag her (asst. mgr) into the back room and give her a lesson on customer service. The piece was less than $100 and if the customer thought it was defective, it was (it really wasn't). So the next day she came to speak with the mgr., who gave her full credit towards another piece and she ended up buying a piece double the cost.

So...big hassle, the assist. mgr. gets a lecture, the customer ends up happy and we have to sell the piece for 50% off as damaged :p It was sold within the day to a young woman who said, heck for that price I'll put a sticker on it!

Moral to the story, if you have a hard sided Heys piece, use a mild detergent and a soft cloth for cleaning or live with the scuffs.

There are lots of brands out there, just make sure you know what you're buying. Most of the stuff I sell is not bargain priced, but it's also not ABS plastic, which I think Heys is made of. We have polycarbonate and ABS/poly blend which is stronger but more expensive. My favorite brands are Tumi Vapor and Rimowa.

Costco pieces have a great warranty but can be heavy. My in-laws have some of their luggage. I like Eagle Creek because they have some very light-weight pieces. And now we're off track - sorry. I haven't explored Heys because I don't like hard side luggage. BUt I echo the advice to check Marshalls/TJ Maxx because I have seen it there.

PS Looks like Heys does have a couple of lines made from polycarbonate - not just ABS ;-)

Costco pieces have a great warranty but can be heavy. My in-laws have some of their luggage. I like Eagle Creek because they have some very light-weight pieces. And now we're off track - sorry. I haven't explored Heys because I don't like hard side luggage. BUt I echo the advice to check Marshalls/TJ Maxx because I have seen it there.

PS Looks like Heys does have a couple of lines made from polycarbonate - not just ABS ;-)

Since we carry so little of their brand, I don't know much about them. I can tell good quality luggage from not so good and it's sometimes surprising how not so well made luggage is sold under a name that people may assume is good quality.

For those of you who sew, you can turn a garment inside out and check the seams and feel the quality of better made fabrics/buttons/zippers, etc... I can do the same with luggage. I'm not saying that people should only buy expensive well built pieces, cause you can pay for your cruise with what the well made stuff will cost :eek:.

Buy what you like and what you can comfortably afford. The sad thing about really cheaply made luggage is that it will not withstand very many trips, even if you carry on. I sometimes go and look at what places like TJ Maxx has and although they do will have some occasional quality pieces, much of it is not very well made. The most important feature of luggage is zippers and wheels, if they aren't sturdy the bag will not last. Be aware that lightweight is only good as far as the bag not weighing as much, but with the lighter weight bags you sacrifice structure that protects your belongings. No structure to the bag also means it will be easier to puncturd the fabric.

It can be like shoes, cheap shoes may be cute but will fall apart in a few months of wear, a well made quality shoe will last for years. You have to decide what you expect with the word "value".

We were using Costco luggage. It's sturdy but tends to be heavy. I recall that a 25" or 26" wheeled Costco luggage piece was about 15 to 16 pounds. We've just acquired Atlantic Ultralite duffel bags for trips to Asia and Europe. While similar interior space to the Costco piece, the wheeled Ultralite was 6 pounds for each wheeled duffel. The first real test of this luggage will be a river trip starting in Budapest later this fall. While low in weight, the Atlantic Ultralite luggage lacks the construction of the Costco pieces. The duffels are rather cavernous and are best used with packing cubes.

Be aware that lightweight is only good as far as the bag not weighing as much, but with the lighter weight bags you sacrifice structure that protects your belongings.

That's why I really love Eagle Creek - some of their lines have a "no matter what" lifetime guarantee. Lightweight - and a lifetime guarantee. That's tops in my book:p For my last piece of luggage (I wanted an internationally sized rolling carry-on) I seriously considered Tumi & B&R pieces, as well as Kipling, Antler & Eagle Creek. I decided on Eagle Creek because they had the size I wanted - at the weight I wanted - for a good price with a great warranty. B&R has a lovely lightweight line but they're expensive (and the look - not my style....) Tumi - I adore - but they're so freaking heavy. Weight is really important to me. I don't want to spend 3 times as much on a piece that weighs three times as much as other pieces. And I'll keep the luggage until it dies - if it does - so my cost per use is low - the purchase price isn't the biggest concern....

Truthfully, just go to Target and get the 6 piece set they sell for $80-100. My senior year of high school (6 years ago) my parents got my sister and I each a 6 piece set from Kmart or something... I still use the same suitcases and have traveled extensively! Mine are royal blue so never have a hard time figuring out which is mine (I don't understand people who get black luggage :P) and tied red shoelaces around the handles.

Has anyone here used Heys luggage? Am looking at getting a piece (small) so I can have some sort of rolling luggage.

Also would like to get a larger rolling suitcase and so I am looking for recommendations! I really am looking at keeping the cost down though so under $200. We don't fly and if we ever do it won't be frequent so just looking for sturdy, durable luggage. :)

I got a piece of the "Britto" luggage for Christmas and I believe it is made by Heys (Happy KS will probably be able to confirm that for me). But, so far, I LOVE it! I have only used it a few times though. It certainly feels as if it is well made. The spinner wheels are awesome and the bag is soooooo lightweight and easy to maneuver! Not to mention, it is cute as heck! I wanted it for the novelty of the design (I am a HUGE Romero Britto fan ;)) so the fact that it turned out to be of good quality was just a bonus!

Here is my suitcase....

a20791912c08c93837975c_m.jpg

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would spend this much money on luggage. But when I think back to all the less expensive pieces I've replaced several times, I thought why not? So, during the Tumi luggage sale (which ends soon), I purchased the mid size & large extended trip Tumi Vapor pieces in the floral etch pattern. $100 off on each piece! They are beautiful; will be easy to spot on the luggage carousel; look like they will last forever (at least the rest of my lifetime). If you're sitting on the fence, I'd say jump NOW. Or wait another year for their annual luggage sale.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would spend this much money on luggage. But when I think back to all the less expensive pieces I've replaced several times, I thought why not? So, during the Tumi luggage sale (which ends soon), I purchased the mid size & large extended trip Tumi Vapor pieces in the floral etch pattern. $100 off on each piece! They are beautiful; will be easy to spot on the luggage carousel; look like they will last forever (at least the rest of my lifetime). If you're sitting on the fence, I'd say jump NOW. Or wait another year for their annual luggage sale.

They are also chipped so if lost or stolen they can be tracked with GPS. I also have Heys very nice. If you can afford TUMI buy that brand.

I have a large rolling expandable, an expandable a carryon suitcase, a lingerie case, a tote bag, and a laptop case. My fiance has a laptop case, a garmet bag and two very large totes.

Some of our bags are brand new (less than a year old, me, three bags) and some are almost six years old. We travel at least six to ten times a year and our bags truly look brand new.

They are wonderful and will last a lifetime. These bags are worth every penny but especially with a coupon or on sale...

Good luck with your purchase!

Donna:D

Saw your post - we are Naples, FL and West Tennessee travelers. My email is mec119@aeneas.net - would love to connect. Elaine

btw - does Miromar Outlet have this luggage?

Love the Britto luggage and yes, it is made by Heys, I had forgotten that.

A word about the "chip" in the Tumi luggage, it's not tracked by GPS to my knowledge, it's a tracking number that can identify the piece if you register it with Tumi. Other brands have the same thing, like Victorinox and Briggs and Riley. The manufacturer is called and can give the airline/honest person who finds the lost piece an address to ship the piece. Truly lost luggage is unidentifiable, so put your address inside the piece, no matter what brand you carry.

Jinn, I'm sorry I don't know athing about your piece, but I think I have seen it and it's really nice looking.

We all do have a price point where we are comfortable. Many people would rather not spend much on luggage and buy more frequently, that is fine. Some people only travel once or twice a year so it would make little sense to spend a fortune on good luggage. On the other hand, people who travel frequently would do better to invest in quality so they aren't buying every year or two.

Then there are the occasional occurances with expensive luggage that is destroyed by airlines even when barely used. A few will warranty that, such as Victorinox, Briggs and Riley and Eagle Creek. I've seen brand new pieces come in for repair after one use, I've seen pieces that are almost 20 years old that have traveled around the world numerous times come in for simple repair (usually Hartmann, which is the heaviest of the bunch :rolleyes:).

We're seeing big changes in luggage manufacturing these days, some of the changes are good, some of them not so good. I'm not terribly crazy for most of the "lightweight" stuff out there, Eagle Creek being an exception. Mostly because I think the damage sustained will not be only to the luggage itself, but the lack of structure will allow the contents to be damaged or destroyed. For myself, I prefer to pack a bit lighter in a more structured case.

:D

Since we carry so little of their brand, I don't know much about them. I can tell good quality luggage from not so good and it's sometimes surprising how not so well made luggage is sold under a name that people may assume is good quality.

For those of you who sew, you can turn a garment inside out and check the seams and feel the quality of better made fabrics/buttons/zippers, etc... I can do the same with luggage. I'm not saying that people should only buy expensive well built pieces, cause you can pay for your cruise with what the well made stuff will cost :eek:.

Buy what you like and what you can comfortably afford. The sad thing about really cheaply made luggage is that it will not withstand very many trips, even if you carry on. I sometimes go and look at what places like TJ Maxx has and although they do will have some occasional quality pieces, much of it is not very well made. The most important feature of luggage is zippers and wheels, if they aren't sturdy the bag will not last. Be aware that lightweight is only good as far as the bag not weighing as much, but with the lighter weight bags you sacrifice structure that protects your belongings. No structure to the bag also means it will be easier to puncturd the fabric.

It can be like shoes, cheap shoes may be cute but will fall apart in a few months of wear, a well made quality shoe will last for years. You have to decide what you expect with the word "value".

Not to devalue anything you have said here, but just to share a funny story:

About 15 years ago I needed some luggage but really could not afford much. I bought a set that was cheap but realy ugly (Thinking it would last me a few trips until I could get somethign better when I was in a better financial position) - Well, you know I still have that ugly luggage - it just won't wear out! (Maybe it was a good set that was just marked down because no one would buy anything so ugly :D). I have bought a nicer set since, but still use the rollaboard from the ugly set occasionally.

Saw your post - we are Naples, FL and West Tennessee travelers. My email is mec119@aeneas.net - would love to connect. Elaine

btw - does Miromar Outlet have this luggage?

Since you're from Jackson....... I was actually born & raised around Dyersburg & Newbern. Small world, huh?

I did not see any Tumi at Miromar. I visited the Tumi store at Waterside Shops first; but ended up buying it online through Bergman Luggage. The boxes were packed & sent directly from the Tumi warehouse though.

And as happyks states, each piece has a metal plate with an identifying # in case it is lost. As I understand it, since the luggage came from Tumi itself, they have made a note of this number & cross referenced it w/ my personal info.

Archived