Gratuities and prepaid beverage package?

pedspac

I purchased the premium prepaid beverage package. Is gratuity for the bartender included with this package? If yes, is I assume there is a way to add additional gratuity if desired. If not, how is each drink check handled?

Thanks for your help.

Each time you use your card to get a drink, you will receive a receipt to sign, you can add a tip to that. I believe it does include a gratuity, we usually add more because the service is so good.

Charlie

Each time you use your card to get a drink, you will receive a receipt to sign, you can add a tip to that. I believe it does include a gratuity, we usually add more because the service is so good.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie. That was very helpful. ;)

Charlie

Actually, with the beverage card, the server doesn't always give you a receipt to sign. Sometimes they do, but once they get to know you, sometimes they don't. We frequented the martini bar when we were 0nboard Eclipse a couple of weeks ago and after the first night or so, our server remembered us and sometimes didn't even ask for our card or give us a receipt. When she saw our glass of wine was empty, she simply came by with the bottle and offered another pour (and would always ask if we wanted something different first). We gave her cash on a few occasions because she was so good.

As far as the gratuity, though, the 15% is included when you purchase the beverage package, but I think giving the server or bartender extra is always nice when the service is good. But we always gave cash. We did the same with the sommollier in the MDR because he was so attentive and his recommendations were always spot on.

We had the package and never received a receipt. We would just leave another buck or two when we got our drinks. We had a very nice sommollier so the last night we gave him a tip in an envelope like the good ole days.

Actually, with the beverage card, the server doesn't always give you a receipt to sign. Sometimes they do, but once they get to know you, sometimes they don't. We frequented the martini bar when we were 0nboard Eclipse a couple of weeks ago and after the first night or so, our server remembered us and sometimes didn't even ask for our card or give us a receipt. When she saw our glass of wine was empty, she simply came by with the bottle and offered another pour (and would always ask if we wanted something different first). We gave her cash on a few occasions because she was so good.

As far as the gratuity, though, the 15% is included when you purchase the beverage package, but I think giving the server or bartender extra is always nice when the service is good. But we always gave cash. We did the same with the sommollier in the MDR because he was so attentive and his recommendations were always spot on.

This was the same way we handled it If service was great we left cash. If average then tip was already included.

Do you find that you get decent service with a beverage package? My worry is that once they recognize us as passengers with a beverage package we will get subpar service from bartenders/waitstaff/sommelier unless we tip on top of the included gratuity. I like to tip above for special service - a complicated drink, delivery of a drink poolside or to my table, a wine recommendation - but not with every single drink.

Do you find that you get decent service with a beverage package? My worry is that once they recognize us as passengers with a beverage package we will get subpar service from bartenders/waitstaff/sommelier unless we tip on top of the included gratuity. I like to tip above for special service - a complicated drink, delivery of a drink poolside or to my table, a wine recommendation - but not with every single drink.

When I do not get the service I expect I call them out on it right there on the spot, I demand to see there manager and let them have it. Celebrity demands service from there wait staff but sometimes you have to let someone know there is a problem. I may complain which is my right to do so but I also tip very well.

Edited by southernbreezes

We just had the premium alcohol package on Summit and never had a problem with service. In fact once when my husband wasn't sure what wine to try at the aft bar the bartender looked at our seapass and said he would find something special and he came back with a lovely Chardonnay.

Never received a receipt slip either - as mentioned, on premium if you do then you have either ordered something priced higher than the limit or it is a mistake.

We had the premium package on the Infinity a few weeks ago and also on the Century a few weeks before that. Never had to sign for anything and the 15 percent was added when we purchased it. We asked the bartender how the tips work for it and if we needed to come to him to make sure he got the tips. His reply was since they pool the tips it doesn't matter who you go to. On the last night we simply gave our "favorites" a cash tip for taking such good care of us, that way they didn't have to share it with anyone. Well, at least I hope they didn't anyway. It was so nice to not have to sign every time you wanted a drink that even though I didn't break even I liked the thought of being able to drink whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted it. Don't forget to get a large bottle of Evian to take back to your cabin each night so you don't get thirsty : )

Charlie

Sorry, thats not correct. On a 14 day cruise, with two premium packages we never had a reciept to sign. It happend only once and the waiter hadn't noticed that I had a package. It was corrected after contacting Guest Relation desk.

There where no problems whatever with service, on the contrary we had our drinks served promptly (after a while we didn't even had to show our cards because they recognized us...)

I worried about the same thing...that service with the beverage package would be sketchy. I needn't have worried. My glass was never empty! In fact, sometimes I had to tell the server to hold back! If I ordered something and didn't care for it, they were swift to bring something else.

There is no need to tip for every drink. We handed our favorite server and sommollier $10 a couple of times during the week.

• 2 years later...

Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that the 15% was added every time you got a drink. Does that mean that the gratuities are based on the total of all drinks or is it based on the price one paid for the beverage package.

Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that the 15% was added every time you got a drink. Does that mean that the gratuities are based on the total of all drinks or is it based on the price one paid for the beverage package.

Somehow a three year old thread has been resurrected! Some of the info might be out of date.

Current procedure: When you purchase a drink package a gratuity of 15% is added at the time of your package purchase. So all of the beverage gratuities become prepaid and there is no additional service charge as you use the package.

Then when you obtain a drink with the package the waiter or bartender will scan your card to register the transaction but no charge slip or receipt is printed at that time. There is nothing to sign.

If you feel compelled to give an additional gratuity there are a few ways to do this. You can give cash at the time you order or obtain your drink, you can ask for a no-charge slip in order to charge a gratuity to your on board account, or you can wait for the end of the cruise and give cash tips to those that have provided good service throughout the cruise.

Edited by Lsimon

While on the Eclipse we seldom to ever got any kind of receipt for drinks ordered under the package. As to giving bar tenders/waiters extra tips, that is certainly a nice gesture. However, Celebrity already adds 15% "gratuity" to every drink which many of us find more then adequate. If you really want to give extra tips to some deserving staff, just carry a wad of $1s and $5s and quietly slip the cash into the hands of the deserved. That way, they get to actually keep the money without having it diluted in a ship wide tipping pool.

Hank

1. you should NOT sign a receipt if you have a package. you may be given one, but if you are asked to sign it, you are being charged for something, outside of your package.

So be wary if asked to sign.

2. You pay the gratuities when you purchase the package, if a promo then they are included.

You do NOT pay any extra gratuity when getting a beverage, it is already paid for.

IF you wish to tip extra, that is fine but the 15% is already paid for.

3. Service is the same, the server gets a gratuity for each beverage either way, they like "package people" because we drink more and therefore more gratuities.

You would only need to sign a beverage reciept if you have classic and you order premiium.

You are not charged gratuities- not sure what they pay staff. Doubt if waiter ever got to keep the 15%

If someone does something you feel is exceptional a little cash is nice but not required.

System works fine.