Fruit juice on the Poesia/Caribbean

Towel Critter

I sailed on the Poesia from January 30 to February 13; the fruit juice offered each morning for breakfast on the Poesia was about 90% water, and to me, undrinkable. Is there a cultural difference in how people mix fruit juice concentrate, or is this just stinginess on the part of MSC? If the answer is stinginess, I find this practice highly offensive. I would never serve a guest something like that. If MSC can't afford to serve fruit juice in an acceptable form, they should do away with it and serve 100% water only. I would have been much less offended by that. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my question, but would like to hear a defense case presented by MSC fans. Overall, I found the "MSC experience" to be less nightmarish than some on here had warned me of, but there were some issues. The fruit juice was one of these issues that really turned me off. One might ask, "what's the big deal? It's just fruit juice. Drink water or coffee." The big deal is that I prefer hospitality and generosity from a host, not stinginess. I saw other instances of stinginess, but for the sake of simplicity, I will stick with the fruit juice example for this thread.

I had cranberry juice a number of days in the buffet for breakfast and it tasted just like the Ocean Spray cranberry juice I have a home which is not watered down. However for sake of others, I did not try the other juices. Also, the juices at the bars used as mixers were poured from the original cans....................My seabreezes (cranberry and grapefruit juice)were no different than on other ships! I realize that these mixers were charged in the price of the drink.

I'm defintely a MSC fan but not a fan of the breakfast fruit juice. It is pretty much low quality carton stuff regardless of ship or itinerary. It doesn't even rate as a consideration factor for me but if its a deal breaker for you......

I was referring specifically to the orange juice and pineapple juice served at Breakfast at the Buffet restaurant. Perhaps I overlooked it, but I never saw cranberry juice. I don't drink, so I have no idea about what's served at the bars. I'm not just making this up, by the way. Both my wife and I tried either the OJ or the Pineapple juice every single morning, hoping that maybe the problem had been corrected. It never was. If the juice had been just a little bit watery, I could have lived with it. But it was horrible. I'm not exaggerating, and I was embarrased for them.

I'm defintely a MSC fan but not a fan of the breakfast fruit juice. It is pretty much low quality carton stuff regardless of ship or itinerary. It doesn't even rate as a consideration factor for me but if its a deal breaker for you......
I don't have a problem with juice from concentrate, IF it's mixed with the correct amount of water. It's not a deal breaker for me, by the way. I don't choose cruises based on fruit juice. It's just that I was shocked by it. I've honestly never been served any sort of drink that watery by anyone, anywhere. What sort of host serves something that bad to his guests? Hospitality dictates better. As a guest of MSC, I was offended by it.

The watery fruit juice and no washcloths or towel animals are perfect reasons for never cruising MSC again.
I didn't have a problem with wash towels. In fact, our room steward was a sweetheart, and hard working. I wish she had been the one mixing the juice concentrate. :-) As for towel animals, I knew ahead of time they would be absent. They are a nice little touch from thoughtful hosts and hostessess, but not a requirement for a great cruise. Hospitality, however, is.

I've honestly never been served any sort of drink that watery by anyone, anywhere. What sort of host serves something that bad to his guests? Hospitality dictates better. As a guest of MSC, I was offended by it.

Ah well then, you've never had to "suffer" the hospitality of some of the old Britsih B&Bs a while back!

Axtually I gave up on both the OJ and pieapple..really not nice. The apple isn't so dire for some reason!

I couldn't get over the serving of leftovers on my Poesia cruise, I've never seen that on a cruise ship before.

Leftovers from an earlier meal were often on the buffet at the next, sometimes they was an attempt to disguise them, but not always.

Ah well then, you've never had to "suffer" the hospitality of some of the old Britsih B&Bs a while back!

Axtually I gave up on both the OJ and pieapple..really not nice. The apple isn't so dire for some reason!

:) I don't remember there being Apple juice. I can imagine that being less despicable, watered down. Too bad it wasn't available. I'll admit that the OJ was less disgusting than the Pineapple. But not by much. The coffee was palatable, though and the tea was so-so. The Poesia wasn't all bad. She had some redeeming qualities. She's a lovely ship.

I couldn't get over the serving of leftovers on my Poesia cruise, I've never seen that on a cruise ship before.

Leftovers from an earlier meal were often on the buffet at the next, sometimes they was an attempt to disguise them, but not always.

I did notice that - at least once. What got me was how they served the same cream cake - almost every meal - but changed the color of the sauce it was nesteled on, or drizzled a different color liquid over the top. (How clever) It was actually okay tasting... the first three times.

Archived