princess travel protection

Embracedbylife

So we made final payment and already purchased platinum protection. we booked seperate airfare and will be in Rome 3 days before the cruise. It seems like the princess plan only covers us from the day we set sail to the day we return - should I purchase additional insurance to cover us for lost baggage with the airline and medical in case we are sick those 3 days post cruise? I'm not concerned with coverage for pre cruise hotel but am concerned regarding medical.

I would certainly get Insurance coverage for the post cruise travel. You just never know what might happen. If you choose E-Zair with Princess then the air portion is coverd if you have purchased the Princess Insurance for the cruise. That is what 2 agents told me and my TA.

I would book extra insurance.

I often will book Princess insurance to cover the cruise and then Access America for the dates of travel and cover the cost of air. I agree, I wouldn't cover the hotels if they are refundable.

Thanks. I will look into my options!
The Princess insurance is for what you booked and paid for to Princess. It does cover cancelation for any reason and trip interruption, so if, for instance, you're unable to make the cruise, it's covered. Any medical onboard the ship is also covered. Keep in mind that the Princess (Berkley Care) insurance is third party; you pay and are reimbursed after submitting a claim.

Because we often travel, we have MedJet Assist (http://www.medjetassist.com/plans/shortterm.aspx) which will fly you from anywhere in the world to anywhere you want in a medically-equipped jet as long as you are 150 miles from home. We had occasion to use them last year and they were fabulous. Most people, when they are in a foreign country, don't think of what might happen if, for instance, the person is stable enough to fly home but insurance will only cover a commercial flight. They're stuck until they are able to fly commercially. Also, some insurance policies will transport you only to the nearest approved medical facility, and you could be stuck thousands of miles from home. Don't mean to be on a soap box but that's what happened to us so I feel strongly about it. Make sure you check that these things are covered when looking at insurance.

I would certainly get Insurance coverage for the post cruise travel. You just never know what might happen. If you choose E-Zair with Princess then the air portion is coverd if you have purchased the Princess Insurance for the cruise. That is what 2 agents told me and my TA.

The EZ Air, booking with princess is certainly covered for no additional fee up until 45 days before the date of flying ONLY for cancellation. After that the only thing that Princess has is "Next Port Protection" on their Insurance for air. A lot can happen in 45 days before you leave and a 30 day cruise between ports!!!

I know; as we bought additional air insurance coverage with a third party (as well as additional medical,) for our air from YYZ to SFO and return air from SYD which we booked with Princess EZ Air.

Thanks everyone! The princess EZ air option isn't an option for us as we booked our own airfare already. But I priced out using insure*mytrip* dot *com and also called travel guard who i had used before personally and they beat their own online price and the other's prices so i got it for us. so we have those extra 3 days and airfare covered with them now. I'm glad I asked and I feel much better now! The medjet assist is a smart option i'll also look into that but at least we have this and princess' now. I am a firm believer in insurance also after my hubby was very sick a few years ago - and i'm only 34! So age isn't a factor either :) Thanks again everyone!

The EZ Air, booking with princess is certainly covered for no additional fee up until 45 days before the date of flying ONLY for cancellation. After that the only thing that Princess has is "Next Port Protection" on their Insurance for air. A lot can happen in 45 days before you leave and a 30 day cruise between ports!!!

I know; as we bought additional air insurance coverage with a third party (as well as additional medical,) for our air from YYZ to SFO and return air from SYD which we booked with Princess EZ Air.

Yep, the Princess insurance does not cover a refund of the airfare after the 45 day mark, even if you cancel for a covered reason (from what I have learned, thankfully, not the hard way ;)) Only nex port protection if you happen to miss the ship.

Insurance needs differ so much individually that there's no "one size fits all".

I always purchase cruise line protection, but I also have world wide medical. Without that I'd definitely book independent insurance.

When booking air on Continental, there is an insurance offer via Access America. The fee is only 5% of the fare. For me, that's a no brainer.

I also enroll in Medjet Assist. An excellent, reasonably priced program. However, after reviewing the annual fee for 75YO and older, I doubt I'll renew.:eek:

I also enroll in Medjet Assist. An excellent, reasonably priced program. However, after reviewing the annual fee for 75YO and older, I doubt I'll renew.:eek:

If you are a member of AARP you get a small reduction in premium.

Archived