Questions about the Regal ?

shaq

I have read a lot of negative and confusing reviews about the Regal. Could anyone who has cruised on the Regal recently, please provide me with your honest opinion about the ship, staff and services, also food quality.

I think the negative reviews of Regal Princess stem from expectations that are not reasonable. If you’re used to – and can only live with – the newer mega-ships and the plethora of amenities they offer, you might not be happy with Regal Princess. She presents a more traditional kind of cruise experience. Check out my review from August 2004.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=72529&highlight=Regal

Bdjam is correct... most of the negative reviews I've read were really the result of people not doing their research and having expectations that weren't met.

The Regal is a smaller ship, with about 1/2 the number of passengers as the Caribbean Princess. There is no "Anytime" dining and the cabins are a bit smaller. There is also no covered pool. On the other hand, the bathrooms are bigger, the shower is a tub-sized shower, and there is much more, and better, personalized service.

Whether the Regal is right for you depends on what you like doing on a cruise and what is important to you. The Regal has most of the amenities but perhaps not as much choice.

The Regal is my favorite ship. I prefer smaller ships and less glitz. The Regal is more elegant and cozy IMO. Service was great both times I've cruised on her. I just returned Feb. 22 from the Regal's Panama Canal cruise. I had been on the Regal five months previously and my former dining room waiter remembered me! And I was/am NOT one of those obnoxious people who get noticed for the wrong reasons. BUT if you like the glitz and 15 bars and 4 alternate dining rooms, the Regal is not for you.:cool:

I sailed with the Regal four years ago and loved it. I am happy to sail with her again as I have booked a b2b cruise in South America next year. My last cruise was on the Star and it was a great experience but I am sure Regal

will be great

Sailed on the Regal Princess and previously her sister, the Crown Princess. Many people pick a ship with appropriate research and get on board and it isn't the floating Las Vegas like many of the new ships are and they didn't expect it.

My favorite ship is the Royal Princess older but a classic cruise experience.

jjones

We will be on the Regal doing the canal in a couple of weeks. Were there any not to be missed excursions that you did? What did you do in Costa Rica. Would love to hear your take on excursions provided by Princess.

I am looking at booking the Regal in 3-06 from Valpo, Chile to Ft. Lauderdale......sounds like a great cruise to me. I'd be going with my parents (77 and 75). I think we'd all enjoy this at there ship. Big question, I am in a wheelchair (confined) and am wondering if you happened to notice if the ship was somewhat accessible? I see that there are handicapped rooms. Are there any obstacles (bumps, steps, etc.) that I'd encounter daily.

There is a Celebrity Infinity ship that does a similar itinerary and it looks fine too. But, I am a Princess kind of gal!

I have read a lot of negative and confusing reviews about the Regal. Could anyone who has cruised on the Regal recently, please provide me with your honest opinion about the ship, staff and services, also food quality.

We have sailed on the Regal from 1992 through 2000 - Western Caribbean, Alaska and Mexican Riviera. We like the Regal - it is smaller than the Grand, Golden and the other ships.

We enjoy a smaller ship - we are going to Alaska again this Summer on the itinerary that visits Sitka and Skagway and only have to fly to San Francisco - a roundtrip. For us this saves us a lot of flight time.

dottycan:)

Dotty,

What is your sailing date? We are on the Regal on June 7th.

Kokoimoto.

I have lady friend that I have met on this board that is sailing on the Regal in August with her husband. I believe that he is in a wheelchair and has been on the Regal several times. The first time that she was on Regal he sent her on a cruise to make sure that it would work for him on that ship. If you check out our roll call I'm sure that she could give you some more info on this.

Deb

Dotty,

What is your sailing date? We are on the Regal on June 7th.

Kokoimoto.

I have lady friend that I have met on this board that is sailing on the Regal in August with her husband. I believe that he is in a wheelchair and has been on the Regal several times. The first time that she was on Regal he sent her on a cruise to make sure that it would work for him on that ship. If you check out our roll call I'm sure that she could give you some more info on this.

Deb

We are also on the same date - June 7th.

Dotty

Dear Kokimojo

We just sailed on Celebrity's Infinity Fort Lauderdale to Valparaiso & continued on to Buenos Aires. This is a truly wonderful itinerary.

I posted a review of our trip on this board under South America.

I am very glad that we decided to do the B2B cruise so that we got to see all of the ports and go around the horn. Just remember that many of these ports are tender ports - although the Infinity staff must have helped our fellow cruiser who was in a wheelchair onto the tender as I saw her in Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands.

The Infinity is a wonderful newer ship and seemed very well appointed for the handicapped (we had a blind cousin with us). The elevators (especially those (4) off the grand foyer) are larger than most elevators. I was actually in a handicapped balcony stateroom on th Infinity (visiting fellow guests down the hall) and it was very spacious and well laid out for guests needing a wheelchair.

We sailed Australia/New Zealand on the Regal Princess and I don't remember any particular hazards for the handicapped but it has been a couple of years. The staterooms on the Regal are larger than on the Infinity - however handicapped staterooms are larger than the normal staterooms.

Hope the above helps

Enjoy your cruise

I agree with the above posters. Read BDJAM's review it will tell you everything you need to know about the Regal. I think the only people are disappointed are perhaps ones that are looking for "glitz" or perhaps have children with them as the childrens areas are not as substantial as the newer ships. We are going on one of the large ships to Europe this summer and I do so wish it was the Regal instead. We were able to dock right in the heart of the cities on the New England/Canada cruise and it was perfect. Oh, and the food was terrific, don't miss the afternoon tea.

Dotty,

Go under the heading of Princess cruisers. Then off on the left side of the blue bar there is a search link. Put in Regal and in will bring up the threads that have the Regal in them. Scroll down until you find the thread that has Regal Princess for June 7, 2005. That is us! So far there is myself and my DH, Kes and her DH and a few others that are sailing on other sail dates on the Regal.

I am from California :D , kes is from Austarlia/Phillipines, Starla and Mrs. C are also from California. We have had another person that is in a group of 6 from SF but he had only checked in once or twice.

Deb

Virgenia - in Costa Rica I took the Princess excursion Eco-Jungle River Adventure and it was great! We saw lots of birds, a caiman and several crocodiles, a basilisk iguana. Our guide was very informative. It's a half day, so there's plenty of time to explore the craft booths at the end of the dock. But DON'T use the restroom there - a woman on my cruise had her necklaces ripped off her neck as she exited the restroom.:eek: Previously I had been on the excursion to Sarchi, which I also enjoyed.

Dotty,

Go under the heading of Princess cruisers. Then off on the left side of the blue bar there is a search link. Put in Regal and in will bring up the threads that have the Regal in them. Scroll down until you find the thread that has Regal Princess for June 7, 2005. That is us! So far there is myself and my DH, Kes and her DH and a few others that are sailing on other sail dates on the Regal.

I am from California :D , kes is from Austarlia/Phillipines, Starla and Mrs. C are also from California. We have had another person that is in a group of 6 from SF but he had only checked in once or twice.

Deb

Deb - we are from Louisiana (LA). Everyone I have talked to about this itinerary for Alaska has liked it - of course, I only know a few people who have sailed this itinerary. Our TA in San Francisco - told me how popular this one is.

Hopefully, we will get to meet you and the family. what is your email address?

Dotty

Archived