Kindle

Will my Kindle's 3G service work while we are at see.

It has been posted that it will work, however I will find out for sure in just over 5 days and check back with you if no one else has answered :)

Please remember to come back and report what happens. It's supposed to work for free in international locations...and even drop to the EDGE network if that's all that's available. But of course Amazon doesn't show a ship's tower on the map of countries where the 3G agreement is in effect.

Gina

Will my Kindle's 3G service work while we are at see.

Yes, it works at sea. I've even used it at Coco Cay to check my email, for free! The Kindle's experimental web browser leaves MUCH to be desired, but I do like the free part.

Bob

Yes, it works at sea. I've even used it at Coco Cay to check my email, for free! The Kindle's experimental web browser leaves MUCH to be desired, but I do like the free part.

Bob

Do you mean like a mouse? Or a touch screen? :D Trying to move that cursor is something, huh?

It does seem like it could be a good thing if needed for something brief that can't wait.

Gina

Do you mean like a mouse? Or a touch screen? :D Trying to move that cursor is something, huh?

It does seem like it could be a good thing if needed for something brief that can't wait.

Gina

Ahhh, I see you know what I'm talking about! I used it to check my email. If I had email that looked important, then I turned on my laptop and used the ship's wireless. It was very difficult to read and compose email on the Kindle. But it did save me some money by allowing me to avoid turning on the laptop just to check for email.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from my 5 night cruise on the Radiance of the Seas, the Kindle only worked in Port in Tampa and in Cozumel.

It did not work on the ship in the cabin on deck 10 or by the pool. Also, it did not work in Costa Maya - but the cell phone didn't work there either - missed a conference call - darn the luck!!!!! :)

Hope this helps.

Lexi

On the Oasis and Solstice the kindle would work off and on while on the ship. DH would go to the top of the ship and try to find a spot that got connected. When 3G was not available the other connections were very very slow. He did not use the web browser he downloaded newspapers.

Archived