Shut your cell phones off !

KevinsCruising

We always leave our phones in the car then no need to worry that we have it in the "right" mode. ..

Though I respect your decision to not use your phones while on the ship, I might make a suggestion. Still take your phone, and turn them off.

BUT - if something comes up and you want or need to talk to family or someone, somewhere, you now have that option. Just turn the phone back on.

There are so many situation where having a phone could come in handy. Maybe there is an emergency and you want to talk to family instantly. Turn on the phone. Or call your doctor or insurance company or bank. Turn on the phone.

While at the pier when you return, there is no extra charge. Maybe getting off the ship is delayed and you need to call friends, or the airline. Great, use the phone. Same when the ship has not left. If you need to call home to have family turn off the coffee pot, make that FREE and EASY phone call.

The list goes on and on. Having the phone is such cheap insurance to deal with issues.

We actually leave our phones on all the time, but fully understand those that prefer to turn them off. Still, it makes sense to at least have the phone in case you need it. The on/off switch works great, but not if back in the car.

As a newbie, I unkowingly racked up $600 in charges last week on the Epic via my laptop using the "cellular at sea" connection. ATT was kind enough to email us at the $00 point that they hat cut off the service due to unusually high charges. ( my hubby got the email on his verizon smart phone.) God only knows how high it would have been after 7 days!!

So now I have to call ATT and beg for mercy; that I stupidly did know the laptop was using that service, and hope they will work a deal with me. :(

My DH recently called AT&T and begged for mercy. He only used his iphone for the time but didn't know to turn off the roaming data. They cut the bill in half. His bill wasn't $600 so maybe you'll do better.

I posted this earlier but we just went on a cruise Jan 16th.

I called Verizon and they added International Data roaming just for those days that we were gone. I used data on the ship daily and did not get billed any data fees at all other than the pro-rated charge for the international data..

Now someone said that Verizon changed their international data packages on Jan 19 so I do not know what they have now but they may still have a similar package that you can temporarily add while you are traveling.

Now my wife has Sprint and I asked them as well about international data. Sprint does not have any data roaming plans that you can add. So we kept my wife's EVO in airplane mode and there were no extra charges.

Now someone said that Verizon changed their international data packages on Jan 19 so I do not know what they have now but they may still have a similar package that you can temporarily add while you are traveling.

Verizon has indeed discontinued that plan. Wish they had not.

• 4 weeks later...
How is AT & T with their international plans?

Can you sign up for when you need it and then cancel when you get back?

Yes, you can do this.

But it does NOT apply to calls while on the ship.

And, unless you make a bunch of calls, the monthly fee may not make it worth it. Check the website to see the prices.

Rememebr that using your Cell Phone Even when just sitting in US Port waiting for the ship to leave , Starts International Charges....:eek:

We found this out the hard way quite a few cruises back while sitting in the port of San Deigo we had made quite a few calls while on the ship, waiting for it to leave....

When we got our phone bill, there was $75 bucks charged due to the calls we made...

I called ATT and complained that We were still in the US when the calls were made and were told by them that as soon as your onboard, you start using the Ships Signal Tower and its high rates....:eek:

Rememebr that using your Cell Phone Even when just sitting in US Port waiting for the ship to leave , Starts International Charges....:eek:

We found this out the hard way quite a few cruises back while sitting in the port of San Deigo we had made quite a few calls while on the ship, waiting for it to leave....

When we got our phone bill, there was $75 bucks charged due to the calls we made...

I called ATT and complained that We were still in the US when the calls were made and were told by them that as soon as your onboard, you start using the Ships Signal Tower and its high rates....:eek:

Sorry to disagree - but that is totally wrong. Okay, wrong most of the time. The ship is not supposed to have the tower on while in port. Still, even if it does, you may still pick up a shore signal. In any event, it will always say right on the phone what carrier you are using. You would KNOW right away that there was a problem.

I think you will find the vast majority of people here say they have used their phones while in port with no problem. If the ship was stupid enough to leave the tower on, even some poor dock worker on the pier could get nailed. The tower does not know where you are, just that you are in range.

Not suppposed to be the case!! And certainly NOT our experience.

Here is the link to Cellular at Sea - the company that provides the cell service to the cruise ships. http://www.cellularatsea.com/guest_services.htm

It clearly says:

How WMS Service Works:

On the Open Seas

When the ship is sailing out of port, our system will turn itself on. When the ship is approaching port, the in-ship system will turn itself off. Once in port, you can connect to local roaming networks as permitted by your home carrier.

We can tell from our phone displays when the system turns off - or on. The display usually reads "Cellular at Sea".

One other thought for those who use "smart phones" - airplane mode is an option. BUT....if you were to take it out of airplane mode FOR ANY REASON - it will automatically begin to down load data unless you have turned off that feature prior to connection with the international service.

DH and I both have iPhones - and were directed to this link : http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp by our ATT rep. We always use these settings and have NEVER gotten charged for anything but calls and text messages that we use while sailing. We often opt for the texts because it is much cheaper at .50 each (in or out) than the $2.49/minute.

The settings outlined there will allow your phone to work as a phone and for texts - but will not allow any data transmissions.

I just called T-Mobile to ask about their roaming charges on the Jewel specifically. I know the charges already because they are listed online, but I would rather have the peace of mind if some representative told me same information.

http://www.t-mobile.com/International/RoamingOverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide

He said the roaming charge to leave the phone on on the Jewel is $4.99. That's right, he said to leave the phone on. Not to call. If you call, additional charges apply. If you use send or receive text, additional charges apply. Now this is inconsistent with what the page says, that text receiving is free if you have a text bundle. So I did a quick back-of-the-envelope and for 7 days on the Jewel, if you leave the phone on and not make any calls, it'll cost you over $50,000. I'm really hoping this guy I spoke with is misinformed.

Please rest assured that what you were told is TOTALLY INCORRECT. I'm not allowed to post who I work for, but I can tell you it is a major cellular provider and I can assure you that what that representative told you is incorrect and I apologize for any misinformation he/she told you. You are only charged for usage. Some data phones will incur data usage just by being left alone as they communicate with the data portion of the network every six seconds. That is data usage and that is what will skyrocket your bill. One side note to this is that a lot of people do not realize that if you leave your phone on and someone calls you and you do not answer it, you are still charged for that call. When roaming internationally if the call is delivered to your handset, it is considered usage and you are charged at least one minute for that call.

Verizon said the data being off, or off while roaming, on my Blackberry has no effect on texting. Texting uses the voice features of the phone, not data. "Data" is only the ability to access the internet function....according to Verizon.

This is correct in a way. It depends on how you define texting. If you mean just a regular text (SMS), that is correct. If you try to send a picture or video text (MMS), that uses the data network. Also, if you have Blackberry services like email delivered to your phone, etc, that goes through the data network but is not accessing the internet function. Also, most carriers have a Blackberry International Roaming plan that is very reasonable. It will allow you access to your emails (Internet based emails (BIS) and Corportate emails (BES) at no data roaming charges as well as access to BBIM (Blackberry Instant Messaging) at no data roaming charges. Check with your specific carrier for more details.

great info, I would have used my cell phone in Florida while sitting in our balcony to connect our family.

I guess the best is to get off the ship and go for a walk while in Florida to connect the family

I use my cell phone while on the ship in Florida all the time. The ship's cell tower is supposed to be turned off, and I have never seen where that is not the case. While in port you should pick up your regular cell carrier or their local roaming partner, not Cellular at Sea. It's never cost me a dime to use my phone while in port in Florida. All you have to do is look at your cell phone's home screen to see the name of the carrier your phone is accessing.

Phones are for losers. Turn them off and put them in the safe. You will not need one on a cruise unless you do not intend to have a vacation and instead want to work.

Wow - what a sad comment.

We love to talk to our son.

We love to talk to our daughter.

We love to talk to our granddaughter.

We love to talk to Mom.

I guess we are terrible losers.

i think ill turn my phone off and take the battery out! (just to be safe) heck my phone (droid eris) needs a vaca too its pretty much been on 24 7 since i bought it 13 months ago

....so, how long can you leave the battery out without wiping out everything in the memory.....;)

....so, how long can you leave the battery out without wiping out everything in the memory.....;)

The only way that pulling your battery out and leaving it out for an extended period of time will wipe memory is if there was a problem with the phone before you pulled the battery. Leaving the battery out of the phone for an extremely extended period of time has no more effect on the phone than leaving it out for a min. The phone will only hold an internal charge for a minute or less.. usually it is 10 to 20 seconds.

i understand some people do not want to use their cell phones due to cost or vacation or other personal issues. That is their choice.

What makes zero sense to me is leaving it in the car or taking the battery out. The switch that says on and off works very well.

I just don't get it.

Wow - what a sad comment.

We love to talk to our son.

We love to talk to our daughter.

We love to talk to our granddaughter.

We love to talk to Mom.

I guess we are terrible losers.

If you love your son, daughter, granddaughter and mom so much, maybe you should have also booked them aboard your cruise so you all can enjoy your cruise together?

I don't know about them, but I wouldn't want to share your cruise by phone.

If you love your son, daughter, granddaughter and mom so much, maybe you should have also booked them aboard your cruise so you all can enjoy your cruise together?

I don't know about them, but I wouldn't want to share your cruise by phone.

We have taken them on a cruise.

As to sharing, we share very little about the cruise while on the phone. Our daughter is the worst - she wants to hear our voices often.

The point is, by having the phone, we are available vs. leaving the phone in the car and shutting off the rest of our life. To each their own.

turn data roam off and you will be fine

i have an iphone and travel from US to canada frequently

this works

I second this. Both my wife and I have iPhones. We have ensure that Data Roaming is turned off. (Should be by default anyway) and have never received a bill for data while outside of Canada (our normal coverage area). We are then able to place calls if we need.

Archived