B4 with Extended Balcony

TERRIER1

Hello to all have been in the B4 cabin with extended balcony on the Marina. We are booked in one this summer. I have read posts of a "tunnel" feel and other negatives and I was wondering if there were any positives? We can't change the cabin and I really don't want to but we are considering a 2012 voyage on the Riveria that will be booked prior to our Marina voyage. Should we book a regular B4? Any input is welconed. Thanks.

Hello to all have been in the B4 cabin with extended balcony on the Marina. We are booked in one this summer. I have read posts of a "tunnel" feel and other negatives and I was wondering if there were any positives? We can't change the cabin and I really don't want to but we are considering a 2012 voyage on the Riveria that will be booked prior to our Marina voyage. Should we book a regular B4? Any input is welconed. Thanks.

We had a B4 with extended balcony on the Inaugural Passage and have chosen to have a regular B4 for the Riviera maiden voyage. Not that the extended balcony was horrible, there is a lot of space, but I did miss the ability to see left and right without going out to the railing. The extended balcony was our first choice for the Inaugural Passage, but it is not now our first choice for the Riviera. Just our opinion.

We had a B4 with extended balcony on the Inaugural Passage and have chosen to have a regular B4 for the Riviera maiden voyage. Not that the extended balcony was horrible, there is a lot of space, but I did miss the ability to see left and right without going out to the railing. The extended balcony was our first choice for the Inaugural Passage, but it is not now our first choice for the Riviera. Just our opinion.

We are also in a B4 cabin with the extended balcony on our August cruise. This will be our first cruise ever, are we going to notice the tunnel vision problem if we have never cruised before? Thanks!

Tropiclady

We are also in a B4 cabin with the extended balcony on our August cruise. This will be our first cruise ever, are we going to notice the tunnel vision problem if we have never cruised before? Thanks!

Tropiclady

You may or you may not, depending on what you thought your "view" was going to be.

The complaint here seems to be that all of the extra space makes those veranda very deep (about 10 feet deep). The privacy screens between the individual verandas form a barrier to seeing toward the front or back of the ship, unless you are standing at the railing.

Those who had sailed previously with a standard depth veranda (about 3 feet deep), remembered that they had been able to see a wider angle of that view, and did not feel that the additional space outside made up for that loss of view.

As with everything in life, it seems to me that it is something of a trade off, and that there might be just as many people who enjoy the additional space. At any rate, the price of those cabins is certainly right. ;)

Enjoy it!

110805.jpg

This photo gives you some idea of how much deeper those deck 7 veranda are.

I think I was the first one to mention the "tunnel vision" effect. I had the opportunity over two voyages to have both types of cabins. I loved the deeper balcony in terms of space. It's really nice to stretch out...

P1010178.JPG

And, with the increased size, it's comfortable to share with others, as these happy guests are doing on the forward extended balconies at Marina's Christening ceremony...

P1010247small.jpg

On the other hand, the view from inside the stateroom is definitely limited by the longer partitions on either side of most of these balconies, and if sunbathing on the balcony is your thing, the sun will more likely be blocked unless it is directly over/in front of your balcony.

It's going to be a judgment call -- some will prefer the extra space, while others will prefer the wider perspective from the cabin exterior door.

Having enjoyed both, on the maiden voyage and the inaugural cruise, I'm resolving the issue on the Riviera Maiden Voyage by trying first thing this morning (an a little over 6 hours as I write this) to capture an OceanView Category C -- it's a port intensive cruise and I don't think there will be as many opportunities to use the balcony.

Thank you so much for the pics and info :). We just booked one of these for the Rome to Rio TA .....was wondering...looking at deck 6 plans..just what is under these cabins ? Thinking officer quarters (maybe) as there are windows....

Thank you so much for the pics and info :). We just booked one of these for the Rome to Rio TA .....was wondering...looking at deck 6 plans..just what is under these cabins ? Thinking officer quarters (maybe) as there are windows....

The main dining room is located below the extended verandah B 4 cabins in the aft. This makes the MDR larger.

The main dining room is located below the extended verandah B 4 cabins in the aft. This makes the MDR larger.

Thanks...I should have been more specific :o as we are in an extended B4 verandah that's forward :). (while I was looking at the picture of the aft ones...above the windows......I blame this time change thing :)

For me, it's all about the size of the balcony and I booked my first Oceania cruise in this category specifically for this reason.

But ... all that space and so little furniture! Has anyone had any success in having a couple of lounge chairs brought to the space?

For my recent cruise on Equinox, I booked a similarly large and similarly underfurnished balcony and took my own inflatable (!) ottomans.

I was hoping to avoid this on such an elegant vessel. We did, however, get many curious looks on our last cruise as from our balcony one could hear the sound of champagne corks popping, furious inflating sounds accompanied by rude jokes and gales of laughter. We should have charged admission.

Thanks...I should have been more specific :o as we are in an extended B4 verandah that's forward :). (while I was looking at the picture of the aft ones...above the windows......I blame this time change thing :)

The extended verandah cabins toward the bow:

112319.jpg

Again, the blue line on the ship is at the level of Deck 7. The round windows forward of the extended veranda cabins are the Officers Quarters

The door to the left of the word "Marina" leads into the crew quarters. That door gives the crew acces onto the lifeboat deck, which is not a passenger deck.

The extended verandah cabins toward the bow:

112319.jpg

Again, the blue line on the ship is at the level of Deck 7. The round windows forward of the extended veranda cabins are the Officers Quarters

The door to the left of the word "Marina" leads into the crew quarters. That door gives the crew acces onto the lifeboat deck, which is not a passenger deck.

Thank you SO much .... I love information :). And the picture of "our" cabin is a plus .....:D

Thanks for the quick response.

To Hondorner: You had the corner extended with the geat view. In your opinion, would you chose that cabin or a regular extended B4? Thanks.

Probably not. It's a great balcony and a great view, and if you want sun, it comes in from any angle except off the aft quarter.

2005-01-04%2009.01.03.jpg

2005-01-04%2009.01.16.jpg

But, if you look to the right edge of the last picture above, you can see that you can be out further than all the other balconies forward of you. Maybe it was just me, but I felt very self-conscious being out there and able to see into so many other balconies. In fact, if I casually turned to the right from where I was standing in that picture, I could not avoid seeing into not only the balcony next to mine, I could see all the way into their cabin if they had their drapes open.

I don't know if they ever had their drapes open, because I felt so awkward and exposed that I studiously avoided turning in that direction, for fear that I would be regarded as a voyeur. Perhaps most others would not be so sensitive to this?

When we were back behind the partitions all was normal, but then we couldn't enjoy the great view. I decided it was just as well, for me, to have the short balcony and have the decision made for me about how exposed I wanted to be.

We just got off the Marina & I liked the extra space but a lounger would be better there that the 2 small chairs

The space is approx 8 X 12 but you do get a lot of salt spray on the decks

Lyn

Would it be feasible that your Stewart could bring two loungers for the duration of a cruise? I wouldn't want to seem too pushy by asking' date=' but it sounds like great addition for our 2012 TA just booked today.[/quote']

Looking forward to seeing another Texan onboard:) this will be our third TA on Oceania....think I can lead tours in the fabulous (?) port of Porto Grande , Cape Verde Islands ;)

Don, did you ask Frank Del Rio or Bob Binder why there were no loungers on the balconies? Is the furniture coming later?

Nope.

No clue.

They are B4 cabins, after all, and they don't get any extra $$$ for them.

Hi XTEACH280,

I am assuming you are an ex-teacher as well as a Texan. I am as well, although I was in university administration for the last 23 years of my teaching career. Retirement has been wonderful! Our TA on Regatta last fall was super. We made great friends, formed a winning trivia team, and loved the ship! We are going with my sister and her husband on Holland America from Venice to Ft. L this fall because of interesting ports we have not visited. (They are Houstonians as well) The ports on the Rome to Rio are also new for us, except Rome, so any suggestions are most welcomed.

Nope.

No clue.

They are B4 cabins, after all, and they don't get any extra $$$ for them.

I fully agree with your statement but .... it seems rather ridiculous to have your cheapest balcony cabins have the largest verandas. Not putting the appropriate furniture is just a waste of potential space so .... put in a dining table and two chairs along with two chaise lounges and charge me more!

Grandfather in those already booked in these cabins but make them an extended balcony category. As you are known to Oceania management, hopefully someone is reading this thread!

I fully agree with your statement but .... it seems rather ridiculous to have your cheapest balcony cabins have the largest verandas.

They probably charge less because they are so overlooked from above & side cabins

I would not want to spend more $ so everyone above can watch me

Archived