Walk between Light rail and Amtrak

hexdragon

We might be Flying into Seattle and taking the light rail to the Chinatown station. How is the walk to the Amtrak King Street station from the Sound Transit station?

I looked at the area on Goggle Earth. IIt looked like the two stations were on different levels????

You can take escalators or elevators each time you change levels. However, if elevators, etc ate out of order you have to take the stairs. So if this is would be an issue you might want to take a cab.

We might be Flying into Seattle and taking the light rail to the Chinatown station. How is the walk to the Amtrak King Street station from the Sound Transit station?

I looked at the area on Goggle Earth. IIt looked like the two stations were on different levels????

When you cross the street to the light rail station, look behind the stairs and there is an elevator that will take you up to the platform.

When the train stops, be ready to board. If there are several in your group, don't all try to load in one door as the stop is very brief. Spread out and board at multiple doors, especially if you're pulling luggage. We learned this the hard way as the first two in our party was able to board, but the doors closed (almost capturing a suitcase) before the others in our party could board. There were some anxious moments during the separation of the two groups until they were reunited at the Canada Place Stop.

Also, once you exit the train at the station, ask directions for the escalator that will deposit you on the street. We walked all the way to one end before realizing that the escalator was the opposite way.

When you cross the street to the light rail station, look behind the stairs and there is an elevator that will take you up to the platform.

When the train stops, be ready to board. If there are several in your group, don't all try to load in one door as the stop is very brief. Spread out and board at multiple doors, especially if you're pulling luggage. We learned this the hard way as the first two in our party was able to board, but the doors closed (almost capturing a suitcase) before the others in our party could board. There were some anxious moments during the separation of the two groups until they were reunited at the Canada Place Stop.

Also, once you exit the train at the station, ask directions for the escalator that will deposit you on the street. We walked all the way to one end before realizing that the escalator was the opposite way.

This is not for Seattle..Its for Vancouver.

(Canada Line to YVR) and Although the poster may have had trouble with boarder it is not normal in my experience as the doors are saftey doors.

In Waterfront (last stop at Canada Place) there are two exits to the street level. One is to the building right above and a tunnel and uphill walk to CP) (The other to the street and easier walk to CP) Easy way to find the later it is to walk the opposite way to most of the crowd...or ask.

Okay, how about at the other end in Vancouver? It looks like a short walk across a park??? Are there elevators at the skytrain station?

See above post also:(Canada line not Skytrain)

Yes it's a short walk and there is an elevator..but it may be across the street. (I have not done this personally) and you are on the sky train. There are also two ways out of the Waterfront for CP from here. One is a tunnel that takes you to the street almost at CP and there are usually escalators working. The other takes you up through the Waterfront station to the Street and same level as you would be at if you went the wrong way on the Canada Line exit. :) confused. ?

Sky train and Canada Line do not use the same end stop physically but use the same name.

Yes a shorter walk through the tunnel.

In the Amtrak station in Vancouver I would use a cab. If I had more than a small carryon/roller.

Okay this is what I am getting:

In Seattle - Take a cab

In Vancouver - Either a short walk in a tunnel or across a park

Since we are flying in to Seattle and taking the train the next day, the cab is no problem. Vancouver sounds like a snap also (As long as the Amtrak doesn't break down or we are stuck at the border for three hours)

It is returning home that worries me. We might need to go from King Street Station, directly to the skytrain, to Sea/Tac...

This is one mixed up post, confusing Vancouver stations with Seattle???

At the Vancouver Amtrak station- YES there are elevators. Walk to the left upon leaving the station, to the end of the block. There will be a set of stair in front of you- CROSS the street. The elevator is ahead. The ticket machines are on a different level, so you need to purchase them before the boarding platform.

There have been approximately 20 mudslides which have caused the line to be closed for 48 hours at a time. This seems to be more of a problem during the winter.

I would recommend taking the evening train to Vancouver and spend the night in Vancouver before your cruise. This would give you piece of mind, and allow padding for you to work around any problems with the train.

Okay this is what I am getting:

In Seattle - Take a cab

In Vancouver - Either a short walk in a tunnel or across a park

Since we are flying in to Seattle and taking the train the next day, the cab is no problem. Vancouver sounds like a snap also (As long as the Amtrak doesn't break down or we are stuck at the border for three hours)

It is returning home that worries me. We might need to go from King Street Station, directly to the skytrain, to Sea/Tac...

The real issue in Vancouver is at the END of the lines . Getting from there to Canada Place.

It's not all that far but can be confusing a bit and uphill. With luggage like is said I would do a cab from the Amtrak station. Likely not much more than paying separate fares on sky train.

The real issue in Vancouver is at the END of the lines . Getting from there to Canada Place.

It's not all that far but can be confusing a bit and uphill. With luggage like is said I would do a cab from the Amtrak station. Likely not much more than paying separate fares on sky train.

And I am one, to have absolutely no problem with the short walk to/from Sky train. People need to evaluate their own needs with this transfer. It's a very valid point above, take a cab, if you can't manage distances, luggage without an issue.

There have been approximately 20 mudslides which have caused the line to be closed for 48 hours at a time. This seems to be more of a problem during the winter.

I would recommend taking the evening train to Vancouver and spend the night in Vancouver before your cruise. This would give you piece of mind, and allow padding for you to work around any problems with the train.

Well I am hoping that by August that the mudslides will be long gone.

The main problem with taking the night train is that we will still be in east coast time. So when the train arrives in Vancouver at about 11:00 PM, it will be 2:00 AM to us... We did something similar a few years back in Hawaii, and we were miserable for the next day and a half... :o

Archived