New to CruiseCritic....

April092011

Hello everyone,

My name is Bridgett and I am new to this forum. I will be sailing my first cruise on April 9th 2011 (less than a month away), before the ship sails we will be having our wedding ceremony and reception aboard the Destiny. I am so excited and was looking for some answers for first time cruising. I look forward to talking with you all and learning from your experiences with cruising.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

Any question you can come up with will find an answer here... there are TONS of highly experienced and knowledgeable cruisers here!!!

My first suggestion... read, read, read! Use the search function and if that doesn't work for you just ask away! There may be one or two folks who will be less than friendly but just ignore them... You know how it goes... there's one in every bunch.

What excursions do you have planned, if any?

:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

Any question you can come up with will find an answer here... there are TONS of highly experienced and knowledgeable cruisers here!!!

My first suggestion... read, read, read! Use the search function and if that doesn't work for you just ask away! There may be one or two folks who will be less than friendly but just ignore them... You know how it goes... there's one in every bunch.

What excursions do you have planned, if any?

Thank you for the warm welcome!

As for the excursions, we booked shipwreck and reef snorkeling in the Cayman Islands and Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. We are so excited! I have never even been out of the country so this is a new experience for me all around.

Welcome and do be careful here...it's addicting.

What port of calls are you visiting?

Thanks for the welcome!

I will be leaving from Miami ( which is where I live) and I will be cruising to Cayman Islands and Ocho Rios Jamaica. I am super excited!

Thank you all for the salutations :)

everyone seems so nice! I will definately be reading and learning more about cruising before I set sail. This seems like a great place to get real experience stories and opinions!

Thanks again!

Thank you for the warm welcome!

As for the excursions, we booked shipwreck and reef snorkeling in the Cayman Islands and Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. We are so excited! I have never even been out of the country so this is a new experience for me all around.

You do understand that once you climb the Dunn's River Falls you WILL be coming back to Jamaica, don't you? Have no fear... it's a brilliant fate! I've been visiting there for ages and I love the island!!!

Also, understand that Jamaica is a very poor island and tourists are the primary source of income so don't be upset if the vendors are a bit pushy... a firm 'No thank you' and they'll not bother you.

Make sure you get to sample some of the local fare... jerk chicken... jerk pork or beef patties... all amazing!!!

Hello everyone,

My name is Bridgett and I am new to this forum. I will be sailing my first cruise on April 9th 2011 (less than a month away), before the ship sails we will be having our wedding ceremony and reception aboard the Destiny. I am so excited and was looking for some answers for first time cruising. I look forward to talking with you all and learning from your experiences with cruising.

Thank you in advance!

Bridgett,

You and your fiance will be boarding the Destiny as Hubby and I debark the vessel, having been onboard the previous 9 days to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. May you have a long and happy marriage as Randall and I have had.

Julie

My husband and I sailed the Destiny for our honeymoon 1 day after we married on 7/22/01. We recently sailed her again last March and it brought back so many wonderful memories. She's a great ship. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

You do understand that once you climb the Dunn's River Falls you WILL be coming back to Jamaica, don't you? Have no fear... it's a brilliant fate! I've been visiting there for ages and I love the island!!!

Also, understand that Jamaica is a very poor island and tourists are the primary source of income so don't be upset if the vendors are a bit pushy... a firm 'No thank you' and they'll not bother you.

Make sure you get to sample some of the local fare... jerk chicken... jerk pork or beef patties... all amazing!!!

Well thank you!

It sounds so fun and I can't wait to go! I have never done anything like it before so I want to make it worthwhile :)

What is it like at Dunn's River Falls? Im not too sure what to expect. lol thanks again for your reply.

Bridgett,

You and your fiance will be boarding the Destiny as Hubby and I debark the vessel, having been onboard the previous 9 days to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. May you have a long and happy marriage as Randall and I have had.

Julie

Wow! 30 year Anniversary. That sure is something special! Congrats to you and your soul mate! I look up to people like you. I have seen that marriages can be a rough ride and entail many ups and downs, but you can always get through it! WOW! Thanks for sharing with me.

Well thank you!

It sounds so fun and I can't wait to go! I have never done anything like it before so I want to make it worthwhile :)

What is it like at Dunn's River Falls? Im not too sure what to expect. lol thanks again for your reply.

Dunn's River tumbles down out of the mountainous spine of Jamaica to the sea and in the process creates a wonderful playground. With a guide, you start at the bottom of the falls and start a climb toward a sort of picnic area at an upper location on the falls... up about 600 feet!

The water bubbles and swirls around the climbers who ascend hand in hand always watched by the guides.

It's fantastic fun and a must do!

Google images for Dunn's River Falls and you'll be amazed at the beauty that surrounds the falls...

Ocho Rios is a very cool place. There's a great Margaritaville VERY close to the port and fantastic for hangin' out on the beach and enjoying a cold beverage or two...

Archived