Carnival Freedom Cellular Service

kking206

we are heading to the western carribean next month.

Wondering what to expect if I use the service that let's you use your cell phone at sea?

I have At&T.....

have you used it for calling?

for text?

how much did it run you?

We have AT&T and we used our cell phones without upgrading to an international plan. Text messages incoming are no cost. Text messages outgoing are $.50/text. Voice calls are really expensive (each foreign country has different rates/min + Carnival has an added rate/min if out at sea). So ... I kept my phone on 'airplane mode' except to check (text) messages twice a day. I told EVERYONE at home to strictly text me if necessary. We came home with a $6 bill (12 outgoing text msgs and 14 incoming text msgs).

For more info:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/travel-guide.jsp

Wireless service is provided by Cellular At Sea. With a roaming plan enabled your account will be charged an additional $2.49/minute over your normal plan.

Please note that your phone will show roaming and Cellular At Sea when you're accessing their service. The satellite system should be shut down about 12 miles out but on occasion that fails to happen and folks end up with some HUGE bills...

:)

added a $5.99 international roaming feature to my cell phone plan

it is not necessary when calling from the boat and those calls from the boat are $2.49/min for voice, missed and voicemail calls, so keep your phone off.

i have unlimited text on my plan, so incoming text are free, outgoing would be 50cents each on the boat or at foreiegn port

Normally Jamaica and Grand Cayman would be $2.29/min but with the $5.99 international roaming, it will be $1.69/minute

hopefully this works out ok

Archived