April 24 on Journey = Our honeymoon = Our first cruise ever!

AlanS17

Not that it matters for anything. I'm just really excited and had to share! :D

Neither of us have ever been on a cruise before, but I've been doing my research in getting us prepped. We've signed up for a couple of half-price excursions (looking into a third), and today I even found myself reviewing the menus on the Azamara website.

I'm not here to bug people for newbie advice (there's a whole forum for that), but I'm always open to it. FWIW, we've already got travel insurance, we're coming in a day early, and we've started a packing list. My fiance has left me in charge of the details so I've been planning the whole thing (which I actually prefer).

I guess I could ask one thing... What can Azamara do specially for a couple on their honeymoon? They've already been forwarned of our ocassion, and it's marked on our reservation, but I don't really know what that amounts to. Also, are there an recommended onboard activities for newlyweds? For example, we've been taking a few dancing lessons, and I bet my fiance would love to put them to use.

Our itinerary is Venice -> Split (Croatia) -> Kotor (Montenegro) -> Katakolon (Olympia) -> Crete -> Santorini -> Athens so there will be a lot of firsts: our first trip as a married couple, our first cruise, and our first time to any of those places. Other than that... woo hoo here we come! :D

All the best with your forthcoming nuptuals, certainly a great way to start married life, only thing is that it may be tough getting back to normality.

That's a similar intinery to ours, we have booked 3 AZ excursions, really looking forward to olympia and Kotor, will chill on board for two or three days, we need to recharge (and it's not our honeymoon). hope it goes well you both.

Thanks. :)

My fiance is looking for something relaxing and I'm looking for something adventurous so that's how we ended up on a cruise in the first place. Even if we'll be kinda busy, there won't be a lot of packing and unpacking.

It's funny that you're taking the excursions there because those are the excursions we're opting into as well! We're definitely taking the Olympia excursion offered by the cruise line since we're pressed for time in that port. As for Kotor, we're just taking the affordable walking tour and then spending the rest of the day on our own terms. We're going to try to hike to the fort if we have the energy. And with excursion prices cut in half, I don't think any on-shore tour companies can beat them.

As for returning to normal life... We'll be getting home in the middle of the week, and will have to head back to work the very next day. That's the one I thing I couldn't avoid. :(

Unfortunately some of us have to work in order to cruise. I can sympathise with you, I know when I flew in the opposite direction last year, Miami-Glasgow, I was wrecked for two days. As long as you're not performing brain surgery then you should get by.

Thanks. :)

My fiance is looking for something relaxing and I'm looking for something adventurous so that's how we ended up on a cruise in the first place. Even if we'll be kinda busy, there won't be a lot of packing and unpacking.

It's funny that you're taking the excursions there because those are the excursions we're opting into as well! We're definitely taking the Olympia excursion offered by the cruise line since we're pressed for time in that port. As for Kotor, we're just taking the affordable walking tour and then spending the rest of the day on our own terms. We're going to try to hike to the fort if we have the energy. And with excursion prices cut in half, I don't think any on-shore tour companies can beat them.

As for returning to normal life... We'll be getting home in the middle of the week, and will have to head back to work the very next day. That's the one I thing I couldn't avoid. :(

Alan, we have never been on Azamara (going in 3 weeks to the Far East on Quest), but I can be "almost" certain in saying that as a first time cruiser, you will never look back at ANY other type of holiday. You will be hooked my friend. I met my wife 20 years ago on a cruise in the caribbean, and our first choice would always be a cruise.

The one piece of advice I can give you is this:- if you dont have a balcony cabin, upgrade. You will be wired to the moon for a few days after your wedding and that one place of solace and privacy is worth bundles. It's your own private outside, and is a really good place to unwind when you want/need it.

Have a great wedding, honeymoon and cruise and all the very best of luck.

David

Alan, we have never been on Azamara (going in 3 weeks to the Far East on Quest), but I almost be certain in saying that as a first time cruiser, you will never look back at ANY other type of holiday. You will be hooked my friend. I met my wife 20 years ago on a cruise in the caribbean, and our first choice would always be a cruise.

The one piece of advice I can give you is this:- if you dont have a balcony cabin, upgrade. You will be wired to the moon for a few days after your wedding and that one piece of solace and privacy is worth bundles. It's your own private outside, and is a really good place to unwind when you want/need it.

Have a great wedding, honeymoon and cruise and all the very best of luck.

David

Thanks for the well-wishes! I'm a little jealous of your far east cruise. That sounds like a lot of fun! One trip at a time for us, though. There are a lot of places that we still need to see, and we'll get there eventually.

I tried my best to into a balcony stateroom, but it wasn't in the budget. After the various wedding expenses, airfare, hotels before/after the cruise, and various land activities there just wasn't anything left. But I figure an ocean view on Azamara is better than a balcony on some other line. Plus the itinerary is pretty great.

When I get onto the ship, I'll look into the cost of an upgrade if there is any availability. I don't know how cruise lines handle upgrades in those situations, but hopefully they will be amenable to a reasonably priced upgrade for a room that isn't being used. Since I'm sure cruises are filled with people celebrating special occassions, I doubt being on my honeymoon will have much sway. I'm ok with that, though. I'm not the kind of guy that expects special treatment.

I never plan for much until it comes time for vacation so I'll be that guy with a checklist of things to handle when I get on board (like making reservations in Prime C and Aqualina). I'm going to add this to the list. I don't mind taking on a little extra work to make the trip better and more relaxing for my fiance. You should see my color-coded Outlook calendar for the itinerary! :)

Thanks for the well-wishes! I'm a little jealous of your far east cruise. That sounds like a lot of fun! One trip at a time for us, though. There are a lot of places that we still need to see, and we'll get there eventually.

I tried my best to into a balcony stateroom, but it wasn't in the budget. After the various wedding expenses, airfare, hotels before/after the cruise, and various land activities there just wasn't anything left. But I figure an ocean view on Azamara is better than a balcony on some other line. Plus the itinerary is pretty great.

When I get onto the ship, I'll look into the cost of an upgrade if there is any availability. I don't know how cruise lines handle upgrades in those situations, but hopefully they will be amenable to a reasonably priced upgrade for a room that isn't being used. Since I'm sure cruises are filled with people celebrating special occassions, I doubt being on my honeymoon will have much sway. I'm ok with that, though. I'm not the kind of guy that expects special treatment.

I never plan for much until it comes time for vacation so I'll be that guy with a checklist of things to handle when I get on board (like making reservations in Prime C and Aqualina). I'm going to add this to the list. I don't mind taking on a little extra work to make the trip better and more relaxing for my fiance. You should see my color-coded Outlook calendar for the itinerary! :)

Hah, like your style Alan - love the outlook comment.:D although dont make too many lists or you'll miss the fun......

Try on board for the balc. You never know. The upgrade fairy may be lurking (Bill...are you there?)

You should check out the roll calls for similar itineraries .....whoops see you've done that! This is a great steer as to what other folks are doing in your ports. I'm not sure of the rotation for Journey, but am certain there will be be port crossover. You will get a lot from this - keep posting questions as there are a helluva a lot of very well clued up and friendly people on the boards, particularly the Azamara board which I have found to be exceptional.

You may also want to have a look at this link, and I dont believe K would mind you getting touch directly. She has cruised more than anyone I know, and is a really helpful and genuine person.

http://ourpassportstamps.com

Good luck Amigo. Please write a review when you get back.

Dawn and I leave on the 8th April to catch the Quest in Singapore on the 12th. It cannot come quick enough.

David

Alan, we have had an oceanview on Journey. Very nice. An added bonus: the window serves as very useful extra storage space for stuff! We sometimes think that balconies are overrated but of course, it's personal choice and I respect other people's choice. See, the ship sails overnight so it's dark. Then you are off the ship during the day. Even if you are sailing up a Norwegian fjord or into Venice in the sunshine, then get up on deck for Pete's sake. So is it worth the extra? Not always.

Hi!

and Congratulations!!

When you get on the ship stop by the pursers desk to let them know it is your honeymoon. However, to be perfectly honest the service onboard AZ is so superior than many other cruise lines that you will be treated special just for being you and their guest onboard.

Azamara's tag line is...you will love where we take you, but I've said before they should add to that...you will love how we take CARE of you!!!

You asked about flowers in the room. You will find on a cruise ship that flat space is at a premium in your cabin. so the small little flower arrangement (not a bouqet) is sufficient. However, if you want more...I agree with the suggestion above that you can pick some up in port.

and a vase will be provided to you.

Anything extra you asked....well, you can check with the Photographers onboard as they can arrange a private sitting..but not really a sitting...more like wonderful shots of both of you around the ship.

These are wonderful compliments to your wedding album and I'm sure much less than the professional photos you will do for your wedding. At least they were compared to our wedding package 5 years ago (and I was NOT extravagant on that line item of the wedding)

Also, when you are down at the pursers desk when you arrive. If you are interested in taking a bridge, engine room, or galley tour sign up asap. They are complimentary on AZ and will be quite fun for you as a 1st time cruiser.

Have you come across my AZ links on other posts with loads of info??

That's it for cruise stuff...I will pop in again to talk about ports..

I've been to all of them in depth except Olympia

and a warm thank you to 150Edmiston...so very kind of you. :)

K

What a glorious way to start your marriage!!!

It's obvious you have done your homework. Now just put everything on the back burner and concentrate on the wedding and your fiance.

Don't get lost in Venice, it's way too easy to do and stop at a flower market in any of your ports for a beautiful bouquet for your cabin. The flowers will be far more meaningful and fresher than any you purchase onboard.

Be sure to hike through the villages in Santorini, there is just something so romantic looking down from a high peak onto the harbor. Stop for a little wine, cheese and a bowl of olives. That should make you both happy.

Have a wonderful cruise and if there is anything else we can do from here just ask. You do know if any of us were sailing with you we'd make sure everyone onboard knew you were just married, but the wonderful crew will have to do it for us.

Hi Alan and welcome to CC and cruising!

Alcapa said "if any of us were cruising with you we'd let everyone know it's your honeymoon" Well I am cruising with you with my SO Mark. Not sure if you have signed up for the meet and mingle but we have over 25 already and it would be great if you and your DW2B could join us. We also have an active group in the roll call section.

As we are so port intensive a balcony is not essential and you will be able to find plenty outside space to chill out and take it all in. The half price trips are a steal and, you may be on our Olympian one if it involves wine:p

As my fellow Scots, Mugwood and 150edmiston have mentioned contratulations on your nuptials and be prepared for many other cruising adventures in the future.

See you both onboard.

Maddie

PS Alan - sorry can't think of any particular onboard activities for newlyweds.....:rolleyes:

Hi Alan and welcome to CC and cruising!

Alcapa said "if any of us were cruising with you we'd let everyone know it's your honeymoon" Well I am cruising with you with my SO Mark. Not sure if you have signed up for the meet and mingle but we have over 25 already and it would be great if you and your DW2B could join us. We also have an active group in the roll call section.

As we are so port intensive a balcony is not essential and you will be able to find plenty outside space to chill out and take it all in. The half price trips are a steal and, you may be on our Olympian one if it involves wine:p

As my fellow Scots, Mugwood and 150edmiston have mentioned contratulations on your nuptials and be prepared for many other cruising adventures in the future.

See you both onboard.

Maddie

PS Alan - sorry can't think of any particular onboard activities for newlyweds.....:rolleyes:

Hi Maddie! Small world! We haven't signed up for the meet and mingle. It's not that we're not social people. It's just that it's our honeymoon and we intend to do things by ourselves instead of as part of a group (with the obvious exception of excursions). I honestly don't know much about these meet and mingles, though. I've posted in the roll call for this itinerary. I would be neat to meet everybody, but I'm afraid of being wrangled into other group activities. (Does that sound awful?)

We actually signed up for the Olympia tour that goes to the museum afterwards since we'll be on our own in Santorini and plan to rent a car and hit up a winery there. I'm really into history and my fiance is really into culture so we're looking for a happy medium. :-) But if you sign up for the walking tour in Kotor, you'll probably see us there!

Congratulations to you and your fiance! I'll chime in on the balcony issue - it's true, once you've sailed with a balcony it's difficult to go back, but with these very port-intensive cruises, perhaps not entirely necessary. Azamara deck 11 is THE place to be during docking, and the nooks and crannies you'll discover onboard should fill the bill for 'oudoors but uncrowded' (decks 9 & 10). I envy your cruise - enjoy!

Hi Alan,

Totally understand you two wanting to do things on your own. The meet and mingle is just a one off hour organisied for CC members who enrol for it. It's generally the evening we sail, pre-dinner with some champagne, nibbles and some of the officers (maybe the Captain) and a chance to say hello to those you have chatted with pre-cruise. There are no other things for you to be wrangled into. The beauty of cruising is to suit yourself and that's what you must do. Normally I would only book ship excursions for far from port places where you'd be worried about getting back from but as they are such great value we have booked 3 for this trip.

What ever you do I'm sure you will have a great time:)

Do not miss the sail in and out of Kotor, our favorite by far!!

We've done this two times on the Journey...

The climb up to the top of the wall is fantastic as well.

We did this 2 years ago on our anniversary in Late April.

The people in Kotor are so friendly and the prices for taxi's food

drink etc are so reasonable. Try the mussels at a local cafe

they are farmed nearby as you can see the mussel farms on the sail in!

You could start some new memories!!!

I honestly don't know much about these meet and mingles, though. I've posted in the roll call for this itinerary. It would be neat to meet everybody, but I'm afraid of being wrangled into other group activities. (Does that sound awful?)

The Meet & Mingle is a great way to meet the people on your roll call. It's a cocktail party at which you also get to meet the senior officers all at one time. There is NO NEED to get involved in anything else. You will not be wrangled.

These are not ships where everyone tries to do things with bunches of other people. You'll understand the vibe when you're on board. :)

Archived