Will gel clings stick to the cabin door?

misfit72ford

I am on another forum and one of our "regular cruisers/posters" just got back from a cruise on Emerald Princess and she put the gel things from the $ store on her cabin door and said it was a HORROR story. NOT when she took them DOWN but as she put them UP. She said they dripped and stained and stuck and she felt so bad/guilty for the cabin steward that she spent a COUPLE HOURS trying to get the stain OFF the door. I put tons of things on our cabin door, but I print them off on the computer and bring duct and/or scotch and/or masking tape to keep the stuff up. Just a heads up from what I read. Have a GR8T cruise! :D

I am on another forum and one of our "regular cruisers/posters" just got back from a cruise on Emerald Princess and she put the gel things from the $ store on her cabin door and said it was a HORROR story. NOT when she took them DOWN but as she put them UP. She said they dripped and stained and stuck and she felt so bad/guilty for the cabin steward that she spent a COUPLE HOURS trying to get the stain OFF the door. I put tons of things on our cabin door, but I print them off on the computer and bring duct and/or scotch and/or masking tape to keep the stuff up. Just a heads up from what I read. Have a GR8T cruise! :D

Thanks so much for the heads up. I would feel terrible if that happened. I may just make something to print out too. This is the first time we will be in the middle of a long hall and I want to make it easy to find.

Thanks so much for the heads up. I would feel terrible if that happened. I may just make something to print out too. This is the first time we will be in the middle of a long hall and I want to make it easy to find.

the window yes..........stay away from the door with those stupid things. i ruined my own home door with some from halloween. NOTHING TAKES THAT CRAP OFF.

• 5 years later...

GEL CLINGS WILL STAIN THE PAINT ON THE DOOR.

My mom put these on a painted door at her assisted living, and the dyes in the gel clings STAINED the door, causing permanent damage that can only be repaired by applying a stain-blocking primer and paint. It cannot be removed with Magic Eraser because the color is embedded in the paint. These are designed ONLY for use on glass.

The cruise lines will charge you for the damage to the door.

GEL CLINGS WILL STAIN THE PAINT ON THE DOOR.

My mom put these on a painted door at her assisted living, and the dyes in the gel clings STAINED the door, causing permanent damage that can only be repaired by applying a stain-blocking primer and paint. It cannot be removed with Magic Eraser because the color is embedded in the paint. These are designed ONLY for use on glass.

The cruise lines will charge you for the damage to the door.

This thread is from 2011 but thanks for the heads up.

Yes...but interestingly, a few days ago when we were scrambling to figure out how to fix the damage to their door, my Google search returned these threads with discussions on the gel clings and painted surfaces...I hadn't even thought about the same issue on a cruise ship, but had seen these things on doors on Royal Caribbean. So in hopes that anyone else is thinking about putting clings on a door, they'll see the responses. I added the same comment to several threads in hopes that we save someone the cost of repair.

:-)

• 3 months later...

Actually.. we just used gel clings on our door on Vista and they left no mark or anything. Completely fine to use. These ones were clear and just had ink printed on one side.

They were Disney ones they sell at Target in the bargain area.

• Like 1