First time Cruise

clamshellvt

I am going on a 4-day on the Century and have never been on a cruise before. I have questions about the classic beverage package. I am mostly a wine and bottled water drinker but also like the occasional beer or bloody mary. The cost for the package I am looking at is $156 for 4 days. It sounded like a lot at first but I figured that I would easily drink 5 bottles of water and 5 alchoholic drinks over the course of a day. Getting wines by the glass are fine with me. Are these inexpensive wines also available in the main dining room?

With regard to dinner, is it necessary to reserve in advance?

If the departure is 5 pm, what time does check-in begin?

Does the corkage fee of $25 per bottle for wines brought on board also apply to those opened in the cabin or just in the dining room?:rolleyes:

Welcome to Cruise Critic --

In regards to some of your questions, the corkage only applies to wine brought to the dining rooms. If you open and drink it in your room, there is no corkage. If there isn't a corkscrew in your room, ask your steward to bring one to you.

You will make a choice between Traditional (fixed time) dining or Select Dining. If you choose Select, you will make a reservation (or you can just show up and wait for a table, usually it doesn't take long). If you want to eat in one of the specialty restaurants, you do make a reservation and there is an extra charge. Otherwise there is no charge for dining in the MDR, or at the buffet (limited selections). There is also no charge for room service, although most everyone tips the person who delivers it to your stateroom.

Wines by the glass are available in the dining room.

Boarding will begin in the late morning. The buffet will be open for lunch at noon or so. If you board around one, your stateroom will probably be open and you can drop your carry-on luggage there before going to the buffet or the pool grill for lunch.

As cruisestitch said, there is the Tradtional dining. It has two serving times, usually 6:00pm and 8:30pm. You pick either one after you make your cruise reservation and if you are using a Travel Agent, they should do it for you. You get an assigned table and you can ask for a general size. Fun sitting and meeting new people at your table many times, especially for new cruisers. You have the same waitstaff and it's fun. The Select dining is from 6:00pm (I think) to about 9:30pm. You can set up a reservation time each day or as said before. You can set your dining times for Select dining before you cruise, or after you get aboard. The Line recommends you make reservations, but you can just show up and wait as you do at regular restaurants.

A bottle of wine at the Main Dining Room, inexpernsive, usually is about $25 and up. And wines by the glass. they save your bottle for you for next seating if not finished off.

Enjoy. Great ship and great Line!

Den

Archived