New Orleans here we come!

chadci

Last fall we had planned a trip to new Orleans but we had a very ill friend and had to go north instead of south.

All winter we looked at different cruise options to help get over the winter blahs. We looked at Bermuda out of Baltimore, South and East Caribbean out of Miami / FLL and a few others but we had been looking to go for a week. I narrowed the search down to 5 nights and guess what popped up, New Orleans. This is great, we'll have 2-3 extra full days to FINALLY visit the area.

When I first started looking at loding I noticed that most of the hotels were booked up and the ones that weren't were very $$$. After a bit of research I found we'll be there the weekend of the French Quarter Festival. That's great but will it hinder us from making our way around the city?

As for lodging, the best bet we found so far has been Best Western in Westwego. Are we going to be safe enough here? We're driving down and plan to park at the port while cruising so I don't mind staying 10-15 miles away as long as it's safe and "easy".

It looks like we can drive to the ferry and park for the day we'll be spending in New Orleans. Plans for the second day include going to Jean Lafitte to "catch" some wild life and my wife really wants to visit Oak Alley Plantation but we're open to other options.

Any thoughts on our plans? We're open to options.... and we leave in 3 weeks :eek:

Have you tried the prices on hotels around the airport in Kenner or Metaire. The prices are usually pretty decent and it's about 15 mi. from NO.

We usually stay in Kenner and have always gotten decent price hotel and park at pier. This trip we plan to spend part of day in NO and then drive back to Kenner for the night and will park at pier for cruise. With hotel and cruise parking will cost less than $200.

Good luck and happy cruising

Have you tried the prices on hotels around the airport in Kenner or Metaire. The prices are usually pretty decent and it's about 15 mi. from NO.

We usually stay in Kenner and have always gotten decent price hotel and park at pier. This trip we plan to spend part of day in NO and then drive back to Kenner for the night and will park at pier for cruise. With hotel and cruise parking will cost less than $200.

Good luck and happy cruising

I've not looked at Kenner but I will. I did look at Metaire and you're right, the prices are good BUT staying on the westbank makes it a little easier to get to the ferry to cross the river. With the festival in town I don't want to try to find parking etc. It appears that the ferry terminal has a secure lot so we can get in early, park for the day and as long as we're back my midnight ( last ferry) we should be good. I also like that the preserve we're visiting is right across from the hotel. Also, the Oak Alley plantation is not far from there.

We too are parking at the terminal during the cruise and will do self assist when we leave so we can get on the road to home as early as possible, it's a 13 hour drive.

One other question, I would love to get a few shots ( photos) of New Orleans after dark with the river in the scene. Any thoughts on where I can do that safely?

You should be able to get some good pics of the city at night from the ferry. It sounds like you have planned things out well. Parking at the ferry landing is a great idea because parking in the city or in the French Quarter can get pricey.

We have been to Oak Alley a few times over the years and it really is beautiful. There are also other plantation homes along the river if you don't mind driving a little further.

Have a safe drive down and hope you have a lot of fun down here.

You should be able to get some good pics of the city at night from the ferry. It sounds like you have planned things out well. Parking at the ferry landing is a great idea because parking in the city or in the French Quarter can get pricey.

We have been to Oak Alley a few times over the years and it really is beautiful. There are also other plantation homes along the river if you don't mind driving a little further.

Have a safe drive down and hope you have a lot of fun down here.

Thanks, I tend to overresearch things instead of just letting things happen BUT it saves me a lot of time and money in the end so I can enjoy my destination rather try to figure it out.

I don't know how we ever used to travel before the internet!

I am the same way when it comes to traveling, especially when it comes to cruises. That's why we are on cruise critic right? I have learned a lot and saved a good bit of money thanks to this website.

;)

My wife hates it a few weeks - months prior to a trip because I look up EVERYTHING but she doesn't seem to mind it so much when we're on the trip and it all pays off.

It seems the closer the cruise is, the more time I spend on CC. My wife doesn't give me a hard time about it though. She knows that all the research will pay off on the trip.

Have you been down here before?

Have you been down here before?

No, I've never been... Everytime we plan a trip something come up but this time we are good to go. I kind of wish we were in town when there wasn't a festival going on, hopefully it won't keep us from seeing a lot of the things we want to see. We plan to get in town kind of early (8:00AMish) to see what we can that's around the stage areas ( I found a map) and then we can move to other areas from there. Wondering if we would be better off hitting town on Saturday or Sunday. Right now we're leaning towards Saturday and then the plantation / wildlife on Sunday and just having an easy day... but we can change that around.

You should still be able to see anything you want in the city and Quarter area. Just know that there will be more people around the area. There is also a popular festival that same weekend about an hour North of New Orleans called the Ponchatoula strawberry festival. I'm sure you have read about this from your research but you need to hit Cafe Du Monde for some beignets. It's right in the area of the French Quarter Festival.

You should still be able to see anything you want in the city and Quarter area. Just know that there will be more people around the area. There is also a popular festival that same weekend about an hour North of New Orleans called the Ponchatoula strawberry festival. I'm sure you have read about this from your research but you need to hit Cafe Du Monde for some beignets. It's right in the area of the French Quarter Festival.

Oh yes, we plan to make a bee line to Jackson Square after leaving the ferry stop. The Cafe will be our first stop :o

Also planning on eating dinner at Deannies in Metatrie one night. I would also like to eat lunch at Mothers but that will depend on the line. The roast beef / ham / pulled beef sandwich looks to die for.

Any place out near Oak Alley plantation worth a stop?

Deanies is a good place to go eat for some yummy seafood, and Mother's is pretty good too although they do get crowded sometimes. One of our favorite places to eat is Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro on St. Charles Ave. It's not extremely expensive with entrees ranging from $12-$18. Love the crawfish ravioli, and make sure you save room for desert. They have a variety of different cheesecakes.

I believe there are a couple other plantation homes located in the surrounding area of Oak Alley, but not much else. On the Oak Alley website, click on map & directions and it will show a few other places on there.

Deanies is a good place to go eat for some yummy seafood, and Mother's is pretty good too although they do get crowded sometimes. One of our favorite places to eat is Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro on St. Charles Ave. It's not extremely expensive with entrees ranging from $12-$18. Love the crawfish ravioli, and make sure you save room for desert. They have a variety of different cheesecakes.

I believe there are a couple other plantation homes located in the surrounding area of Oak Alley, but not much else. On the Oak Alley website, click on map & directions and it will show a few other places on there.

Thanks, I'll keep that bistro in mind.

Finally got around to booking my room last night. Best Western Westwego was "sold out" so our options were really limited. Ended up getting a room at Sleep Inn and Suites in Marrero. Still puts us on the Westbank so we can get to the ferry and planations etc. easier.

Hopefully the next two weeks will zip by.

The daydreaming has gotten worse. This morning as I made my coffee I was thinking... hmm 2 short weeks from right now I'll be sitting in Jackson square having a cup or two with a couple powder sugar covered sins.

Is 8AM early enough to get there before the place gets busy or should we try for a little eariler? I'm not real sure what time the ferry starts running. Looks like most of the concerts don't start until a little later in the morning so I hope to have at least a few good hours in. We might even come back to the French Quarter that Monday morning just before we get on the ship.

Hey dude, 8 am would be a good time to get there and enjoy the beignets and I believe the ferry starts running around 7am. Most of the bands playing around the Quarter will start at 11am.

Awesome. We might even try for a bit eariler depending on how late we get in the night before.

Other than going to the festival side of things, any thoughts on what we should do the night we arrive? We're driving from Indy - just north of Birmingham the first day and then on to the westbank the next. I think it's about 7 hours from our hotel, so 8 - 9 with stops / lunch... so we should get there late afternoon. Thinking that might be a good day to head up to Metatrie to eat at Deannies and maybe hit a WalMart or the like to pick up any last minute supplies / things we/ve forgotten.

Thanks so much for your help.

I agree that Friday afternoon would be a good time to hit Deanie's in Metairie as well as going to Wally world to get your last minute stuff y'all forgot to bring. Is it just you and the wife coming down or do you have kids as well?

Since you are staying in Marrero, it would be best to go to a good local Marrero seafood restaurant and then to a Marrero Walmart instead of making the long drive over to Deanies.

Just go 12 blocks east on the expressway from your motel to Barataria Blvd, take a right and go 3 blocks to August Ave. and take another right and stop at Sal's seafood. It is where the locals go for great seafood at very reasonable prices. And right at the height of crayfish season you can try some of the best in the city. Don't go in the front door, it is just for looks. Everyone uses the side entrance and go right for take out orders or left to the dining room and find the table you prefer.

It's a blue collar area and it isn't fancy so don't bring your coat and tie but be ready to enjoy some of the best seafood in the New Orleans area much cheaper than at all the touristy places. Don't be surprised to see all the tables covered with newspaper because this is the way you eat boiled seafood in New Orleans outside of the touristy places. Add a potato salad for 75 cents or a great seafood boiled egg for $1.50. Hint: the Buds are 10 oz. but the Coors are 12 oz. You can't get a better shrimp poboy anywhere else.

After you stuff yourself go about 4 more blocks down Barataria to Lapalco, take a left and Walmart is 3 blocks.

Just a short ride back to your motel, get a good nights sleep and head for the Quarter and a fantastic free festival in the morning.

The first thing that you will discover about New Orleans is that the smallest dives have better and cheaper food than the fanciest restaurants in most cities.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!:)

Since you are staying in Marrero, it would be best to go to a good local Marrero seafood restaurant and then to a Marrero Walmart instead of making the long drive over to Deanies.

Just go 12 blocks east on the expressway from your motel to Barataria Blvd, take a right and go 3 blocks to August Ave. and take another right and stop at Sal's seafood. It is where the locals go for great seafood at very reasonable prices. And right at the height of crayfish season you can try some of the best in the city. Don't go in the front door, it is just for looks. Everyone uses the side entrance and go right for take out orders or left to the dining room and find the table you prefer.

It's a blue collar area and it isn't fancy so don't bring your coat and tie but be ready to enjoy some of the best seafood in the New Orleans area much cheaper than at all the touristy places. Don't be surprised to see all the tables covered with newspaper because this is the way you eat boiled seafood in New Orleans outside of the touristy places. Add a potato salad for 75 cents or a great seafood boiled egg for $1.50. Hint: the Buds are 10 oz. but the Coors are 12 oz. You can't get a better shrimp poboy anywhere else.

After you stuff yourself go about 4 more blocks down Barataria to Lapalco, take a left and Walmart is 3 blocks.

Just a short ride back to your motel, get a good nights sleep and head for the Quarter and a fantastic free festival in the morning.

The first thing that you will discover about New Orleans is that the smallest dives have better and cheaper food than the fanciest restaurants in most cities.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!:)

Thanks, that sounds like a great plan! We're not coat and tie kind of people ;)

And to smurfm69, it's just the wife and I. We try to do something alone each year as we just get much time during the year.

That place Sal's is only a few miles from our house and I haven't been there yet but have been wanting to check it out. Tallyho is exactly right about the smaller hole in the wall restaurants having food that is really good and cheaper than the fancier places.

That place Sal's is only a few miles from our house and I haven't been there yet but have been wanting to check it out. Tallyho is exactly right about the smaller hole in the wall restaurants having food that is really good and cheaper than the fancier places.

I think that's true pretty much anywhere. We're far from fancy BUT when we travel we have to go by what other people suggest because we just have no idea what's out there.

My wife is nervous about eating seafood while we're there. We both love it but neither one of really know how to eat it and we are sure we'll get some stares :D especially if I eat crayfish, she won't touch it.

Well you don't have to get boiled seafood that requires peeling. Fried is just as yummy. I love fried oysters and fried shrimp. You can get it as a dinner or as a sandwich on French bread. Peeling crawfish is not all that hard though. If you decide to go to Sal's, we could join you for some yummy seafood if you wouldn't mind the company.

Well you don't have to get boiled seafood that requires peeling. Fried is just as yummy. I love fried oysters and fried shrimp. You can get it as a dinner or as a sandwich on French bread. Peeling crawfish is not all that hard though. If you decide to go to Sal's, we could join you for some yummy seafood if you wouldn't mind the company.

Hmmmph, I posted this on my phone earlier and... I guess it didn't take.

Sure, we could set something like that up. I googled Sal's and it looks great. I'll be the evening of the 8th. We can exchange contact info etc.via PM.

Archived