NCL in Europe?

Gabrielle R.

OK, I'm a planner. My DH & I will be celebrating our 25th wedding Anniversary in 2012 I am looking at the Mediterranean in 2012. Right now NCL has some cruises that I would consider.

How is the Med itinerary? Pro's? cons?

My DH & I have cruised a bit (12th cruise finished. Mostly Princess, RCL, but also Carnival HAL & X), just haven't tried NCL, though relatives have... And were pleased.

I'm mostly looking Spirit since they have the ports I want to go to the most.

Any help/advice is greatly appreiciated!

Gabrielle

My DH and I did the Western Med cruise in May 2009 and had a dream of a trip. The weather in early May was perfect, probably mid 70s the whole trip. We had an aft balcony ( which was our first balcony) and loved that, no wind and a lovely aroma from the bakeshop somewhere below. Wonderful views as you left each port, especially Villefranche ( oh, the croissants). Just typing this is bringing back the delights of this itinerary.

The only cons were that it is port intensive and obviously you have very little time in port. We decided long before we left that we would chose one or two things to do in each city and soak up the ambiance rather than try to "see it all". It was helpful that we love to walk and just amble about on our own as our budget was not such to allow private tours etc. Europe is pricey and the dollar is even weaker now, so be prepared to spend a little more than you thought you would or eat pizza every day in lovely outdoor cafes for lunch..not really a bad thing when you think about it, right? We were tired at the end of each day so didn't do much in the way of entertainment in the evenings.

If you go from Barcelona please take a day or two there; it was my favorite city. truly enchanting and very easy to walk around or take the Bus Turistica ( hop on hop off) to take in several parts of the city.

We loved it so much that we wanted to do it again in 2012 but hav a son getting married in May 2012 so will maybe do it again in 2013. Whatever you decide have a wonderful anniversary.

I've sailed in Europe 3 times with NCL and have no complaints. :) Picking an itinerary- that has the ports and times you want, sounds like the priority for you?? For me too, I don't care what ship, and instead I look at where that ship can take me. :)

We loved our Western Med cruise in 2006 on the Jewel. It is a port intensive cruise. We took the NCL excursions and had a great time. We also have been on the Spirit. She is the most beautiful ship in the NCL fleet. You will have a wonderful time.

Thanks for the information! I know it will be port intensive- I like that! I have been to Europe a few tiems- by land, I want to sahre Florence & Rome with my DH, who has never been there. I WANT TO see Pompeii... History teacher. We cna't go until June... Since we both work in the school system- different schools.

Any tours you recommend? Also, favorite ships I like to hear that.... I liked what I saw of the Spirit- Read a recent report on Spirit.. Sounds like Spring Breakers made life unhappy for many- Any ship(s) you prefer and why? THANKS!!

We did Xmas/New Year holiday cruise on Jade out of Barcelona in Dec 2008 - 14 days - and it was our best cruise ever. Rome, Naples, Alexandria (overnight), Rhodes, Izmir, Athens and Malta.

Yes, it was cool/cold but it was the best time - why? Off season and less crowds and we got to see a LOT in each port, especially Rome (romeinlimo). Egypt was warm.

I'd do it again. In 2012 Jade is doing Holyland out of Rome.

Remember this: the Med gets extremely hot in the summer months and there are bigger crowds - longer queues and more traffic. Also, NCL does not do Egypt in the summer.

I'm sure, whatever cruise you choose, you'll have a great time.

It's our 25th this year and we're booked on a TA on EPIC in Oct - our 2nd time on EPIC. We're excited to be going back to Barcelona.

Our 12-night Med cruise was on NCL and we loved, loved, loved the Jade.

We had family members who chose a 7-night, port-intensive cruise on RCL. They were exhausted and felt they really didn't get a chance to enjoy the ship's amenities (too tired). Our itinerary went to the same amount of ports with sea days between most. It was a great way to catch up on rest AND enjoy the ship. If you can, go for the longer cruises (10 days or more); particularly if you have to fly in.

Something else to consider is time of year. We went in November and not only were the cruise rates and airfare cheaper, but there were no crowds at the tourist attractions. Tour operators were also plentiful. With the exception of snow in Paris, the weather was great! Good luck whatever you decide.

Loved the Med cruise have done it 9'xs also have done venice greek cruise 3'x, with Costa and last 6 with NCL. I love the fact that you eat when you want. Barcelona is the best port of all for emarkation and disembarkation. The portts are great Malta, Florence you docked in Livorno, Rome dock in Civi, Monaco or Canne been to both. I say go prepare for exhaustion, lines and tons of fun it's amazing. Been on Gem and Jade

Agreed with all here, don't worry about the ship on a Med itinerary, it's all about the ports, and the longer the cruise, the better. Word of advice on Pompeii since yo are looking forward to it so much: learn from the Ports of Call boards on Cruise Critic and do it yourself. Go by train and hire a private guide at the gate. Personalized tour with so much insight, you won't be sorry! Have a wonderful time!

Robin

Yup, I know what it's liek to be port intensive! We can only go in the summer- I'm a teacher, DH is a custodian.. Different schools.... I do want the longer days. If I'm flying to Europe, I'm staying awhile!:)

Any type of before/after land tour offered through NCL? I'd like to stay in Venice a few days extra Or Rome.... Not really interested in Barcelona... No real reason- I've never been to Spain... I've been to Italy......

Cabin cop- how was Costa? I heard mix reviews about them....

What made Gem & Jade favorite ships?

Thanks!

Gabrielle

Agreed with all here, don't worry about the ship on a Med itinerary, it's all about the ports, and the longer the cruise, the better. Word of advice on Pompeii since yo are looking forward to it so much: learn from the Ports of Call boards on Cruise Critic and do it yourself. Go by train and hire a private guide at the gate. Personalized tour with so much insight, you won't be sorry! Have a wonderful time!

Robin

Thanks for the advice! Did you do this before? (Pompeii?) Any problems with trains going to Pompeii?

Yup, I know what it's liek to be port intensive! We can only go in the summer- I'm a teacher, DH is a custodian.. Different schools.... I do want the longer days. If I'm flying to Europe, I'm staying awhile!:)

Any type of before/after land tour offered through NCL? I'd like to stay in Venice a few days extra Or Rome.... Not really interested in Barcelona... No real reason- I've never been to Spain... I've been to Italy......

Cabin cop- how was Costa? I heard mix reviews about them....

What made Gem & Jade favorite ships?

Thanks!

Gabrielle

You might be surprised by Barcelona, it's pretty amazing. gem and Jade are very similar ships, Spirit is not too much different. Itinerary is everything.

Robin

Thanks for the advice! Did you do this before? (Pompeii?) Any problems with trains going to Pompeii?

Have done it three times, no problems. Only possible issue might be a train strike in Italy, but rare in the summer. Very easy, inexpensive, and wonderful.

Robin

Archived