No summer Southern Caribbean cruises 2012 on

I was just checking the summer/early fall Caribbean-ish schedules, and they're all only out of Fort Lauderdale. Seems to me that they're having difficulties filling the Oasis and Allure so they might be trying to lure cruises away from the actual Caribbean.

Why don't they just send one of the Oasis-class to Europe in the summer and keep the Adventure in San Juan?

Where did you get the idea that they are "having difficulties filling the Oasis and Allure"?:confused: Oasis and Allure are attracting passengers because of the uniqueness of the two ships, regardless of how many other ships are sailing in the Caribbean. Unless you have sailed on one of them you may not fully appreciate how different a cruise experience they offer. It is possibly more correct to say that they are having difficulties filling the Adventure out of San Juan in the summer months, or that they will gain a significant increase their revenues if they deploy her in Europe for those months. As to sending an Oasis class ship to Europe it is both impractical since few ports in Europe can handle a ship its size and because they have committed to basing those two ships in Ft. Lauderdale for a long time. Terminal 18 was specifically designed to handle the large passenger loads of Oasis and Allure. Moving either ship is not likely in the foreseeable future.

IF......and I mean a big IF I were to sail on a mega ship like Allure/Oasis, I would want it to be "the thing". Meaning I would consider it for a trans-Atlantic and thoroughly enjoy the ship. I don't want to miss the beauty of the Caribbean with a ship almost the size of the island and be distracted by a zipline, Oprah, or Taylor Swift. If the ship is the "thing" then make it the thing. For me, still, the islands are the reason I go to the Caribbean. Did that make sense? I loved the Adventure of the Seas......it was perfect for the So. Caribbean.

Karen

It makes absolute sense to me.

Where did you get the idea that they are "having difficulties filling the Oasis and Allure"?:confused: Oasis and Allure are attracting passengers because of the uniqueness of the two ships, regardless of how many other ships are sailing in the Caribbean. Unless you have sailed on one of them you may not fully appreciate how different a cruise experience they offer. It is possibly more correct to say that they are having difficulties filling the Adventure out of San Juan in the summer months, or that they will gain a significant increase their revenues if they deploy her in Europe for those months. As to sending an Oasis class ship to Europe it is both impractical since few ports in Europe can handle a ship its size and because they have committed to basing those two ships in Ft. Lauderdale for a long time. Terminal 18 was specifically designed to handle the large passenger loads of Oasis and Allure. Moving either ship is not likely in the foreseeable future.

They're knocking out all the other routes in the region during the summer, it must be because they're competing with the Oasis/Allure. They're forcing people to have only one choice: Fort Lauderdale and the Oasis class.

That's what gives me the idea.

They're knocking out all the other routes in the region during the summer, it must be because they're competing with the Oasis/Allure. They're forcing people to have only one choice: Fort Lauderdale and the Oasis class.

I have to agree. Before this people were saying you may not like Oasis, but everyone has a choice. RC is taking away the choices.

You can believe that if you want but you should at least recognize that your explanation is not the only one that is possible. There are other explanations that make as much and perhaps more sense, including the fact that those ships that are being redeployed outside of the Caribbean will generate more revenue during the summer in their new locations than they will if they remain. It may even be that the appeal of Oasis and Allure is actually making it difficult to fill those other ships, not the other way around.

Here's an idea. Why not do shorter cruises to and from Fl to PR and then those wanting to transfer ships in PR could? Is that too "out there?"

Foreign-flagged ships can't travel between two different US ports without making a distant foreign port stop.

You can believe that if you want but you should at least recognize that your explanation is not the only one that is possible. There are other explanations that make as much and perhaps more sense, including the fact that those ships that are being redeployed outside of the Caribbean will generate more revenue during the summer in their new locations than they will if they remain. It may even be that the appeal of Oasis and Allure is actually making it difficult to fill those other ships, not the other way around.

Exactly!. Why would RC, and they are not the only cruise line doing it, not want to put ships where they generate the most revenue.

We have been on both the Serenade, and Adventure in Aug Sept and Oct.

Fares have been very low, and there have been many discounts for locals as well to fill ships. Most of the time the shows are half empty, bars are empty, etc, etc Although the suips are full, no one is spending on them. ( Gee, remember Mariner in LA??) this is what SJ is like. Why wouldn't they want to put ships somewhere else where they will generate more $$. If Oasis and Allure could get into European Ports, they would try one or both of those there as well in the summer/fall season. The only reason those 2 mega ships stay in the Caribbean, is they can't go anywhere else at this time. Until the European Market for cruising cools down, this will be the trend.

I am soo glad that I am saling on the Serenade this June! I will say that the rising cost of airfare to San Juan can be prohibitive to many cruisers. However, it is actually less expensive for my family to cruise on the Serenade than for us to cruise on Oasis, Freedon or Allure. We live in Texas and would have to pay for air travel no matter what.

For those of us that have cruised many times..the Eastern and the Western iteneraries are getting REALLY OLD..dont get me wrong..I love to cruise..but I chose the Southern route this time because I have been there, done that on the other routes. What will happen is RCI will start losing thier loyal customers to other types of vacations.

I totally agree with you. I find the itineraries out of San Juan to be so much more appealing. It often is less expensive overall to fly to San Juan since the cruise fares are so much less than the FL home ports.

Another thing I've noticed is that RCI's schedules for 2012 are not saying where will the Serenade or the Adventure will be from June to August 2012. :confused:

According to the Deployment Schedule, those dates won't be released till week of April 11th.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Flyers/11022364_2012-2013_Deployment_Schedule.pdf

The other thing that bugs me: Was this decision is based on the past 2 years where people were more likely to stay home due to the economy? We hunkered down and got in a better position and are ready to sail more with the family. A trip for 4 to Europe/Med. is ridiculous. Double the flight price to SJU. I don't get it. Who is flying at double the price and saying SJU is too expensive? Maybe I need a travel agent,lol.

Karen

Another thing I've noticed is that RCI's schedules for 2012 are not saying where will the Serenade or the Adventure will be from June to August 2012. :confused:

I think Serenade will be doing Norwegian fjord cruises. People have been posting the Geiranger port schedule that shows Serenade there on several dates.

The other thing that bugs me: Was this decision is based on the past 2 years where people were more likely to stay home due to the economy? We hunkered down and got in a better position and are ready to sail more with the family. A trip for 4 to Europe/Med. is ridiculous. Double the flight price to SJU. I don't get it. Who is flying at double the price and saying SJU is too expensive? Maybe I need a travel agent,lol.

Karen

We also consider the European cruises very carefully because they require a large time allotment and are very expensive for our family of 5. I can only guess that Royal feels they have targeted a population that is willing and able to fill their ships at the price they want. Older, more experienced U.S. cruisers will still book the more exotic itineraries. Royal expects younger U.S. families to default to Oasis and Allure. I'm still holding out though. I'd do it if the price was right.

I think Serenade will be doing Norwegian fjord cruises. People have been posting the Geiranger port schedule that shows Serenade there on several dates.

That's GREAT news! The last place I want to cruise in the summer is the Caribbean.

According to the Deployment Schedule, those dates won't be released till week of April 11th.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Flyers/11022364_2012-2013_Deployment_Schedule.pdf

Okay, but the Adventure does show availability for September & October 2012, but not for May through August.

That's GREAT news! The last place I want to cruise in the summer is the Caribbean.

yeah, I hate to waste the good weather at home by going somewhere else hot, but the kids are out of school.

I think Caribbean and Mexico are hot year round, but it's more desirable to be there when you know how cold it is at home.

Okay, but the Adventure does show availability for September & October 2012, but not for May through August.

Do you think that might be because they haven't released the Europe deployment schedules yet? Transatlantic schedules are due to be released over the next two weeks so we will be able to see exactly when Adventure will return to the US and to what port it will return.:)

Karen

Maybe you do and maybe a good travel agent could find you flights to Europe that aren't ridiculous. We found that, for our flight to England prior to our Jewel westbound transatlantic, RCI's Choice Air provided a significantly lower price for our chosen flight than the airline was charging. Not cheap but doable and if you have been checking you will see that the fares for domestic flights have risen considerably over the past year.

Cruise line executives are mindful of economic conditions and if they should determine that there are enough others like you who are "ready to sail more with the family, you can be sure that they will redeploy their fleet to take advantage of the trend. That is one of their strengths - the ability to shift their fleet to areas where they can maximize their revenues. As long as demand for Europe and other locations exceeds demand for Caribbean itineraries, however, don't expect any big changes in where their ships will be sailing.:)

Maybe you do and maybe a good travel agent could find you flights to Europe that aren't ridiculous. We found that, for our flight to England prior to our Jewel westbound transatlantic, RCI's Choice Air provided a significantly lower price for our chosen flight than the airline was charging. Not cheap but doable and if you have been checking you will see that the fares for domestic flights have risen considerably over the past year.

Cruise line executives are mindful of economic conditions and if they should determine that there are enough others like you who are "ready to sail more with the family, you can be sure that they will redeploy their fleet to take advantage of the trend. That is one of their strengths - the ability to shift their fleet to areas where they can maximize their revenues. As long as demand for Europe and other locations exceeds demand for Caribbean itineraries, however, don't expect any big changes in where their ships will be sailing.:)

negc, you are obviously a very senior, experienced and salty CruiseCritic member. If you're not Adam Goldstein himself or a member of the RCI board :D, I am sure that you could have a seat at their table if you just ask. If you do, can you ask them to at least toss us poor Southern-Caribs a bone? We'd probably even take the Sovereign back as a consolation :o.

Right now I'm looking at roundtrip >$1200 per person for just air for 2011.Not ahead of twins going to college fall of 2012... I can't see prices going down in air given the fuel costs are increasing.... so looks like we'll do a land based trip. Bummer. We were hoping for a final family cruise.

Karen

Archived