Oh my heavens!! Just got our flight info.....

lovethesun40

Oh my!!! Just got off the phone with our TA and she finally got our flight info from Carnival!

Since this is our first cruise (April 10th, Glory) we chose to have our flight booked through Carnival....just in case! Our in-laws, who we are travelling with, said it would be a good idea! Well.....

We are flying from Toronto to Ft Lauderdale, arrive just after 2:00 pm, go through customs, get our luggage then find a Carnival shuttle bus to take us to the ship in Miami!

Can somebody tell me approx. how long this drive will be?? Are we not supposed to be on the ship an hour before departure (4:00pm.)?

Here I was hoping to be on an early flight, take our time through Miami airport, buy some pop and snacks for the kids while we're on the ship! Have some lunch in the buffet etc..... Ughhh, now we will be rushed! :rolleyes: Our week better be good!! LOL!!!

since you have carnival transporation, they will delay the ship for you because they know you are coming and on the way

I find it strange how they booked you an later flight considering you have to be in the terminal by 2ish for a 4pm sailing

Well, the good news out of all of that is that you will go through customs in Canada, not the States. It still won't save you a ton of time in FLL though. I'd be begging your TA to get on the phone with Carnival to find something earlier.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

I've never booked Carnival air. They are notorious for poor connections and arrivals.

At any rate, from FLL to POM is about 40 mins. Hopefully there won't be any traffic problems.

Oh my!!! Just got off the phone with our TA and she finally got our flight info from Carnival!

Since this is our first cruise (April 10th, Glory) we chose to have our flight booked through Carnival....just in case! Our in-laws, who we are travelling with, said it would be a good idea! Well.....

We are flying from Toronto to Ft Lauderdale, arrive just after 2:00 pm, go through customs, get our luggage then find a Carnival shuttle bus to take us to the ship in Miami!

Can somebody tell me approx. how long this drive will be?? Are we not supposed to be on the ship an hour before departure (4:00pm.)?

Here I was hoping to be on an early flight, take our time through Miami airport, buy some pop and snacks for the kids while we're on the ship! Have some lunch in the buffet etc..... Ughhh, now we will be rushed! :rolleyes: Our week better be good!! LOL!!!

hope you are not flying air canada! I find them always late. But being you are booked with carnival you should be fine.

Last summer we flew into Ft Laud. and took Carnival's transportation to the Port of Miami. The trip is approx. 20 to 30 min. depending on traffic. We flew in on a Sunday and traffic was pretty light. IMO As a previous poster said, Carnival will wait for you because you booked the air portion through them. The Carnival reps at the airport have a manifest and know when and where you will be. They have always been in the baggage claim area when we used them. I hope this helps, have an AWESOME cruise!!!:)

lovethesun,

Boarding time ends at 2:30PM @ Port of Miami per the cruise documents. I always see people arriving and being allowed on all the way up until sailaway @ 4:00PM, but you could use the cruise documents to get them to change you to a suitable flight. ;)

My first cruise was with a group of 18 that used Carnival's air travel. The flight arrangements were terrible, some of the group didn't make their connection in atlanta, and we all had an absolutely FRANTIC day, but at least they *did* hold the ship till we all got there, but heavens what a nerve-wracking day.... I swore that I would never again let Carnival book my flights, and have never regretted that decision. It's so much more relaxing to fly in the day before and be able to board the ship well rested and calm.

That's why I always book my air flights on my own. On my very first cruise I too let the travel agent book my flights and we got on just before sailaway. I learned my lesson and now I fly in a day early and if you can't do that then take the first flight out so you can board early. We like to be on board by 11 a.m. This way its like an extra vacation day and we have time to explore the ship.

A Carnival rep should be waiting in the baggage area near where you will pick up your luggage. While waiting for the gorillas to offload the luggage, check in with the rep. They should be able to calm any fears.

If something goes wrong, they will hold the ship for a reasonable amount of time.

My first cruise in Alaska had a late departure because about 60 of us with a pre land package were about four hours late. Someone was a little to good at their job using dynamite to clear trees and caused a mudslide on the road. After sitting in the bus for three hours it was finally cleared. The nice thing was no lines. We were driven right into the cruise terminal.

We got out, walked 20 ft. and checked in.

We had close to the same thing happen to us on the Glory about 4 or 5 years ago when Carnival booked ours...We got in Orlando around 1:30....When we got to the port at least an hour and a half later, there was no line, and they weren't even taking embarkation photos anymore...They were doing the muster drill as we were taking our carry ons to our rooms...On the way home, we had a 5 hour layover in Atlanta with 4 children under 6....It has taken us until this cruise to get brave enough to fly again, but we booked our own airfare this time...lol

Thank you for the reassurance!! I really hope that Carnival will wait.....just in case!

I kinda think this sucks, but this is what we have been given (but, hubby is NOT happy!!!)

Kenorus....No, thankfully it's not AC, we are actually flying with WestJet, and that should be a positive! ;)

Does Carnival do this to everybody? I've read post after post about people who are booked on a flight that gets in really late. I sure hope everyone makes it. I have ben reading a lot that Carnival does not always wait, even if it is their fault.

Egads, I would get on the line with your TA and see if they can get you on a flight the day before into Miami or FLL instead of the day of the cruise. You don't want to be rushing to get off the plane, get your bags, and hope to heck that the bags are there!!!! FLL is a good 40 minutes away from the port and add a good 30 minutes to get your bags and load then onto a bus/van, OMG, so NOT what I would want to do.....If you can get them to change it to the previous day do so and pay the penalty!!!!!!!

I fly in a day or two early so I can chill out and take it easy.....I did cruise air a few times and I have always flown in the day before from Alberta.....

At any rate, from FLL to POM is about 40 mins. Hopefully there won't be any traffic problems.

+1 if traffic is bad, its really bad. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and I am leaving an hour and half early to be safe. I debated tri-rail and then getting a cab.

I HATE Miami and its drivers. Nothing like city buses running red lights and cops texting while driving and almost taking you off the road.

At one time, you could pay a deviation fee and fly in a day early. I'm not sure if Carnival still does this or not. In 2001, we did it for our Victory cruise and it was $35 per person to fly in a day earlier. It might be worth it to check in to it for your own piece of mind.

At one time, you could pay a deviation fee and fly in a day early. I'm not sure if Carnival still does this or not. In 2001, we did it for our Victory cruise and it was $35 per person to fly in a day earlier. It might be worth it to check in to it for your own piece of mind.

For some reason, I am thinking that you are correct in that Carnival does not do deviations any more....

Just a side note-- you have to pick up your own luggage after the flight.

SOme dimwit on the train was telling me they didnt have no clothes the first two days because they thought it was like Disney-- and they retrieved your luggage and took it to the ship (sheesh)

Even if Carnival will wait for you, it is not worth the worry. I would be anxious all day. This is vacation, you should not be stressed. I would call and demand that they change the time. The flights don't even follow Carnival's own guidelines for when to fly in. I would Fax Carnival's policy with their guidelines circled and say that your flights are unacceptable. Even if there is no traffic, you will still not be there the 90 minutes early that Carnival says you have to be.

I made the mistake of booking carnival air once and ended up in a similar situation. After getting no where with their flight department I emailed the then president of the company. My flight was changed to an earlier arrival time the next day.

Well, I spoke to our TA and she says we are worrying for nothing!! Hahaha! :rolleyes:

We should just "roll" with it and everything will work out!

"You won't be the ONLY ones on that shuttle bus, don't you know!!"

And as I do realize this....duh, I'm just hoping that it doesn't take a few days to de-stress from the experience!! ;) Thankfully our first island is HMC, and we have booked a cabana, so I hope to r-e-l-a-x! **fingers crossed!!

Oh Man...You're in-laws were very wrong. This was a BAD idea.

I know it's your first cruise and you didn't know any better, but next time, do yourself a favor and do NOT ever book your air through the cruise line again.

I also highly recommend flying in the day before your cruise (next time)

Yes,since CCL booked your air, they may hold the ship if you are delayed, but they will only hold it for so long. If your scheduled arrival is a mere 2 hours before departure time, this is a huge risk.

I would call CCL and try to get a different flight.

Thank you for the reassurance!! I really hope that Carnival will wait.....just in case!

I kinda think this sucks, but this is what we have been given (but, hubby is NOT happy!!!)

Kenorus....No, thankfully it's not AC, we are actually flying with WestJet, and that should be a positive! ;)

At least that is a non stop flight and you don't have to worry about missing connections.

Just a side note-- you have to pick up your own luggage after the flight.

SOme dimwit on the train was telling me they didnt have no clothes the first two days because they thought it was like Disney-- and they retrieved your luggage and took it to the ship (sheesh)

Oh that is too funny:D

Archived