Sunburn Remedies

emen822

Hi. Getting ready for my cruise in 12 days (YEAH!). Was wondering if anyone has any sunburn remedies. Is the aloe gel the best thing to bring? I just want to bring everything to be safe. Obviously I will keep on top of putting sunscreen on but my girls have never been in the Caribbean and I know the sun is stronger. Thanks in advance.

Hi. Getting ready for my cruise in 12 days (YEAH!). Was wondering if anyone has any sunburn remedies. Is the aloe gel the best thing to bring? I just want to bring everything to be safe. Obviously I will keep on top of putting sunscreen on but my girls have never been in the Caribbean and I know the sun is stronger. Thanks in advance.

You can always bring a can of solarcaine, if your girls get sunburned. It will numb & cool the burn.

When I go to the Caribbean, especially in summer, I wear a 45spf sunscreen, even though I'm olive skin. I still get a nice tan.

Minette

Royal Caribbean has the best after sun cream in their onboard shop! It's their own brand that you can buy in the sundries shop. When I start running low, I usually ask someone if they can pick some up for me!

got a tad "crispy" on the first day of our honeymoon in the FL Keys and it worked like a charm. I plan on bringing a can on my cruise, just incase! I heard that aloe prevents the blistering and peeling, though, so picking up a bottle of that may not be a bad idea as well.

The Dawn Princess had this wonderful cream that I think was called Flamezee. When I was scalded by a cup of coffee from another cruiser they just about covered my arm in it. Ahhhhhh, it felt soooo good to get rid of that burning sensation. The idiot fled the scene of his crime after he burned me. I'm sure that they use it for sunburns also.

I have used a product that supposidly isn't for human use (per the label) but it sold in most drug stores and works wonderful. It is called udder cream. They use it for the cows and goats if there teats get sore after milking. When we were camping in Idaho I was looking for a sunburn remeady for my DS. I saw the udder cream and read the label. DS said that it worked really well. I didn't bother to tell him what it's orginal purpose was.

on the net, and from what I can gather, it's not recommended to put any thick creams or moisturizers on sunburns, "Getting a sunburn is bad enough, but what you may not know is that a sunburn continues to develop for 12 to 24 hours after the initial burn takes place! Treat a sunburn the way you would treat any other burn. Do not cover it with thick salves (butter and thick moisturizers are the worst). These will trap the heat and cause more damage. Get the skin in contact with cool water immediately (do not put ice directly on the skin—that's too much cold and can cause a different kind of burn). Then keep applying the cool water on and off for several hours."

just thought I'd share.

Put tea bags in a container of water and soak paper towels or a wash cloth in it. Then place the tea soaked towel(s) on the affected area. It will reduce the pain substantially. Works every time.

Oh yeah. Cool tea!:cool:

Sounds crazy I know, but a few years back we spent Christmas vacation in Costa Rica and boy did we overdo the sun! The doctor at the resort, who had several boys who surfed etc., swore by putting Milk of Magnesia all over. We did, it was very cool, although somewhat unsightly in public, and did take the sting , er, pain out. Food for thought, and it can usually be found.

sorry EMEN822, i don't have an answer, but i am new and still trying to figure out how to post a message. I am taking a chance and jumping in your question. looks like we are on the same cruise (Mariner 3/20). i am also very exited. first cruise. are your girls teenagers? i have 2 coming on the cruise with my husband and I. they don't think they are going to see many teens on board.:confused:

My advice would be don't let them get sunburned to begin with:) I will say that all suncreen lotions are NOT created equal. Being a person who does not tan, burns only, I have found that No-Ad SPF 30 (do NOT get 45 - I burned using that) is the best there is:) It's usually available everywhere (from Wal-Mart to grocery stores). Don't let the price fool you - it really is wonderful. The other tip I have is to apply it AT LEAST 1/2 hour before heading out into the sun. Otherwise, you're likely to lose alot of the protection (having said that, I usually put in on 45 minutes to an hour before). If sunburn does occur, there is no better thing than solarcaine. Be forwarned though, if it is a bad sunburn, it will very likely sting (sometimes alot) before finally numbing the burn. Hope all this helps:)

sorry EMEN822, i don't have an answer, but i am new and still trying to figure out how to post a message. I am taking a chance and jumping in your question. looks like we are on the same cruise (Mariner 3/20). i am also very exited. first cruise. are your girls teenagers? i have 2 coming on the cruise with my husband and I. they don't think they are going to see many teens on board.:confused:

There are a few other teens onboard. If you go to the Roll Call for Royal Caribbean, you will see a message already started for the March 20 cruise. My girls are 9 and 11. This is also our first cruise. This site is great for first timers and even regulars. I spend WAY too much time on here....;) but I have found many great tips. I'm dreading the packing. I always overpack! :rolleyes:

Here is the link to the roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=83396

I got a real bad sunburn on the Regal Princess once and our cabin stewardess told me that milk or cream would take the sting out. She dumped a carton of milk in the sink and saturated a wash cloth. Then she had me put the wash cloth over the sunburn. It took the sting right out. I've used it a few times since then, and it really works.

Aloe vera gel is really good too. I've also learned to smother myself in SPF45 when I cruise (had to learn the hard way after numerous sunburns).

Have a great cruise!

I also recommend purchasing "rash guard" swimming shirts for children (or fair skinned adults like me!). These shirts can be found at surf shops and will protect skin more than a lotion. They are made for swimming and dry quickly. I usually use the lotions until I see pink and then it's the surf shirt from then on. They are especially important for snorkeling which is a guaranteed burn for me otherwise.

I am a red head and have very fair skin so I know all about sunburns. I have had way too many. The last time I had a really bad sunburn I put cool aloe plant leaves on it and it worked wonderfully!!! I don't think they let you take plants on the ship so just keep that in mind for the future. I have always used aloe vera gel on burns and it works very well. But I do agree that once you realize you have a burn you need to run it under cold water for quit sometime. So jump in the shower for at least 30 minutes to cool your skin down. Then do this several times within the next few hours. The burn tends to get worse as the hours go on if you don't cool it down. When we went on our cruise back in June I was so worried about getting burned. We put SPF 30 sunscreen on a 1/2 hour before we went out to let it dry and soak in. Then re-applied every 2 to 3 hours. Neither one of us (DH or myself) got burned at all. I couldn't have been happier.

A few years ago in Hawaii my daughter got a horrible sunburn and was told to crush some fresh aloe leaves and apply the sap to her skin. She said she felt fine by the next day. The only problem is trying to get some fresh aloe while cruising.

If I burn myself in the kitchen, I put straight pure vanilla on my burn. The last two times that I grabbed the handle of a pan lid that had been in the 350 degree oven :eek: , I put the vanilla straight on my palm/fingers and they didn't even have a red mark!

If I get burned from the sun, I take aspirin and put on aloe lotion. The aspirin opens up the blood vessels and helps to heal from the inside. (It really does help!) I know you cannot use aspirin for children, but if you get a burn it should help. (Cannot hurt to try it.)

So many good ideas here!

Michelle

This might sound strange but a few years ago my dad got sunburned really bad.Actually took him to an emergency room.Here goes....they told him to use preparation H on it.Unbelievable how it took to pain out and seemed to help the burn actually go away

Anything over spf30 is overkill. The problem with sunscreen is that most people do not use enough. Do as the directions state and apply liberally and often. Slop it on. Do not apply it when your skin is wet from water or sweat and allow it to dry into your skin before going into water. Wear a t-shirt while swimming/snorkelling. Aloe vera works fine when I have burned.

I just bought a bottle of Banana Boat Aloe Vera with Lidocaine. (A good sized bottle of it was $5 at REI) It's probably similar to the solarcaine product already mentioned. But since I almost always get the Banana Boat Aloe I thought I'd try this. I'm the person who always gets burned and never learns so I swear by Aloe.

I leave in 3 weeks so I'll let you know how it works.

Archived