Are 3rd guests always $99?

My DH, DD and I are planning another cruise for next year. We hadn't given Holland America much thought until I came across some fares on a travel discount site today that listed third person rates as $99. DD will be four, if that makes the difference, I don't know. I checked Holland America's site and sure enough. I added it up and we could get a balcony/veranda for less than the price of an ocean view on Carnival or what-have-you.

Is the $99 third person rate consistent across the line?

Are there any other hidden fees? Do they hold out for tips? If so, how much?

Thanks!

-pitterpattershoppe

PS - How's the food on Holland America?

Is the $99 third person rate consistent across the line?

Of course not - It depends on the level of accommodations and the length of cruise.

A 3rd person in a Deluxe Suite on a 30-day cruise is going to cost much more than a 3rd person in an Outside Stateroom on a 7-day cruise.

Sorry about that...I should have been more specific. We're looking at a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise. I was just really surprised that it was only $99 for a third person. That would make Holland America, which I perceive as a little more expensive line, less expensive, in our case.

-pitterpattershoppe

Of course not - It depends on the level of accommodations and the length of cruise.

A 3rd person in a Deluxe Suite on a 30-day cruise is going to cost much more than a 3rd person in an Outside Stateroom on a 7-day cruise.

HAL will offer 3rd and 4th passenger specials depending on the cruise. We are cruising to Bermuda on June 5th and the 3rd and 4th passengers were free at the time of our booking and we only had to pay the port/tax fee for them. Hotel service charges are $11 per day per person. This covers what would generally be referred to as tips. Of course you can always tip above and beyond but they will not ask for tips.

Diane

Sorry about that...I should have been more specific. We're looking at a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise. I was just really surprised that it was only $99 for a third person. That would make Holland America, which I perceive as a little more expensive line, less expensive, in our case.

-pitterpattershoppe

There are have been many recent promotions for third and fouth passengers for many 7 day sailings that third and fouth passengers were either $0.00 except tax, $99.00 and or $199.00 these promos can be found even if you book an S Suite. Last fall for 10 and 11 Day Europe there were some great $99.00 offers for third and fouth passengers. But if a sailing is selling well that promo is pulled. Right now all the summer cruises to Bermuda on the Veendam the Third and fouth passenger is very high but that could change as we get closer to those sailings if they do not continue to sell like they are now.

So another word you just have to take a look around and see what you can find ;)

-pitterpattershoppe

I think HAL is a good value for 3rd and 4th passengers. They are having to compete with larger ships with more amenities (rock climbing walls, water slides, etc) in the Caribbean cruises so I am sure they are priced to be sell.

Diane

The 3rd and 4th passenger pricing is making HAL very competitive. While I've always wanted to try HAL, this is the main reason why we got around to cruising them this year. Couldn't beat the 3rd person price with any other line.

I'm flippin' excited! We've never had a balcony and I think we're going to, if we take a HAL.

Is it a secret about their $99 3rd/4th-person pricing? Had I not stumbled across it, I would have never known.

-pitterpattershoppe

The 3rd and 4th passenger pricing is making HAL very competitive. While I've always wanted to try HAL, this is the main reason why we got around to cruising them this year. Couldn't beat the 3rd person price with any other line.

Yes I booked with the 99 offer. Taking our 2 sons (whether they like it or not!!).

It just made it an affordable family holiday and I don't care if we're all in the same cabin. A wonderful experience for them I think.

we are taking our daughter on an 11 day partial panama in december for just the taxes...they say free but we will have to pay the taxes ($258ish) and her gratuties I expect, but that still is cheaper then other lines. For once this is allowing us to try an SY suite. Our dd was 3 for her first HAL cruise and enjoyed it,

I'm flippin' excited! We've never had a balcony and I think we're going to, if we take a HAL.

Is it a secret about their $99 3rd/4th-person pricing? Had I not stumbled across it, I would have never known.

-pitterpattershoppe

It really was no no brainer for me. Princess and RCI both wanter $700-$1000 for my DS (4). While I don't expect him to travel for free, I also don't think at his age and interests that he gets $1000 worth of value out of the cruise.

The only other line I've seen that has similar 3rd/4th pricing on a regular basis is NCL, but there cabins seem to be the smallest of the major lines and their newest ship isn't getting the best reviews, particularly the new cabin design. However, I must admit that NCL knows how to treat suite guests.

Occasionally they have the promotion rates, and they are very family friendly. Also as you work your way up as Mariner with their repeat passenger program, some of the sailings are free for third and fourth. I believe that the third and fourth must still pay government fees though. I hope that you find a cabin to your liking.

When our children were younger, those reduced rates enabled us to take what turned out to be some very good family vacations. Yes, we all squeezed into one cabin. I think we paid $99.each on RCI and $69. on Celebrity.

We still get emails with similar offers from cruise lines but they no longer want to vacation with the `fossils`.

The low third person rates on HAL are what led us to try the Oosterdam a few years ago, and we continue to book HAL, largely for the low third person rates. If other lines, like Celebrity, had such low fares, I'd not be on HAL ships as often, even though we do like them.

I hope you enjoy HAL as we do if you book. You will find that the crew are exceptionally friendly and kind to children.

I was able to book the 3rd traveler free 2years ago on the Amsterdam to Alaska. That was main reason I booked again this year on Westerdam in May back to Alaska. We waited and got the 3rd free again (like others mentioned still had to pay gov fees but much better deal than other lines).

I just booked a category I room on the Eurodam's 12 day North Sea Adventure and the fare for my children as guest #3 and #4 is $299 plus $156.01 in taxes and fees. Total $455.01.

Just found the information for the Alaska cruise in 2009. Guest #3 and #4 were $99 plus 110.03 in taxes and fees. Total $209.03.

Archived