tipping question....again.

cruzaddict

I know this has probably been asked a "million" times but......I am new to Celebrity and on all my past Princess cruises they automatically billed my credit card for the tips for the waiters,room stewards,etc. Does Celebrity do this.....I really like the old way they did it,by giving them the tips personally in the little envelopes. Do I have that option with Celebrity? thanks!

...and in case you were wondering...

This is right from Celebrity's Website;

Gratuities - On the last night at sea, it is customary to offer gratuities to staff members you feel have given you exceptional service and personal attention. We suggest the following guidelines:

Assistant Chief Housekeeper $0.75

Stateroom Attendant $3.50

Stateroom Attendant Concierge Class $4.00

Assistant Maitre'd $0.75

Waiter $3.50

Assistant Waiter $2.00

(Rates Per Person, Per Day)

Note: Bellboys are tipped as service is rendered.

Hi Shelley,

Yes to the site to signup for the CC party, I just tried it. I am not sure about the shore excursions site, but I did book my tours through that website a while back with no trouble.

Bill

when we cruise Princess, we have the auto tip, and then we give extra to the service people whom we feel truly earn it by providing above and beyond services. we even tipped the assistant to the cabin stewart.

on Celebrity, can you specify each category of service people to tip on the auto tip ? notably the cabin stewart, waiter and assistant waiter. and then decide if we would like to tip the other personnel ?

Hi Shelley,

By all means, you need to sign up to attend the party. Hopefully the site is now working.

Bill

Hi Bill !

I tried it last night, and it seems to be working fine now :)

when we cruise Princess, we have the auto tip, and then we give extra to the service people whom we feel truly earn it by providing above and beyond services. we even tipped the assistant to the cabin stewart.

on Celebrity, can you specify each category of service people to tip on the auto tip ? notably the cabin stewart, waiter and assistant waiter. and then decide if we would like to tip the other personnel ?

With Celebrity auto tip, you must tip at least the recommended amounts to all the recommended people. You can add extra amounts on top of that, and you don't have to add to everyone. (i.e. you can tip your waiter extra but keep your cabin attendant at the minimum you choose.)

I just have one more question regarding tipping.....How do I notify Celebrity that I don't want to do the "auto" tipping,and that I want to do the envelopes myself? I just don't want them to automatically put the tips on my bill?

You don't have to do anything if you want to tip traditionally with envelopes and cash. If you want the autotip, you have to sign up for it.

After our Princess cruises, we decided we liked charging the tips to our account instead of taking extra cash or travelers checks. We charged the basic autotip amounts and put the receipts in the envelopes for each person. We added cash for our waiter, assistant waiter, assistant maitre d', and cabin steward.

Yes, you do have both options on Celebrity, but if you read the old posts concerning tipping, the cruise staff prefer cash. :cool:

Roy

Funny, but I asked all of my staff persons which they preferred and it was not cash, which surprized me.

They prefer the later primarily because of conversion rates and the grief of money orders, mailing and the ease of having Celebrity sending it to their families.

One thing I cant figure out:

You tip the waiter and asst waiter per envelopes with their titles.

When the Room Stewart comes around for his envelope, the assistant (who does most of the dirty work and you see just as much,, he vaccums, etc) is at his side. You give the envelope to the Steward and feel like a heel that you just ignored the assistant room steward. What gives there??

So, on my Sept cruise I asked the room steward for an extra envelope and wrote on it Asst Cabin Attendant and gave the poor guy what I gave the Asst Waiter.

I just wonder why the Asst Room Attendant is never once mentioned when it comes to tipping. Does he share the tip with the Room Steward? Why doesnt it work that way in the dinning room?

I guess I need to be enlightened.

Idssms

Archived