Alcohol Policy (with apologies)

Noggins

I am sorry - I can hear many 'old hands' sigh in disbelief that this old chestnut is raised again...

I have spent half an hour searching the Board but the best I can find is a (typically) detailed and precise post from Hondorner - but it dates back to Jan 09.

The Oceania booking conditions are quoted - 'reserves the right' etc - but the advice was that it is acceptable practice to bring aboard alcohol for in-cabin consumption. This is what I had convinced myself was the case - but - looking at our cruise vacation guide an additional sentence is in the small print:

'All liquor purchased ashore must remain in bond until disembarkation'.

Could someone possibly clarify what the on-the-ground (ship) position is - before my modest bottle of gin travels the oceans in clink?

Thanks!

I am sorry - I can hear many 'old hands' sigh in disbelief that this old chestnut is raised again...

I have spent half an hour searching the Board but the best I can find is a (typically) detailed and precise post from Hondorner - but it dates back to Jan 09.

The Oceania booking conditions are quoted - 'reserves the right' etc - but the advice was that it is acceptable practice to bring aboard alcohol for in-cabin consumption. This is what I had convinced myself was the case - but - looking at our cruise vacation guide an additional sentence is in the small print:

'All liquor purchased ashore must remain in bond until disembarkation'.

Could someone possibly clarify what the on-the-ground (ship) position is - before my modest bottle of gin travels the oceans in clink?

Thanks!

It boils down to this: Oceania does not restrict their passengers from bringing liqour onboard in any way, but they have to couch the language in the brochures so that the system is not abused.

Don't be concerned at all, we've brought cases of liquor aboard, with nary a comment. ;)

It boils down to this: Oceania does not restrict their passengers from bringing liqour onboard in any way, but they have to couch the language in the brochures so that the system is not abused.

Don't be concerned at all, we've brought cases of liquor aboard, with nary a comment. ;)

Other lines actually DO confiscate liquor brought on board by passengers, keeping it until disembarkation. To some, that may seem extreme, but my thought is that it is to force passengers into purchasing all their alcoholic drinks from the line.

In my humble opinion, (IMHO) Oceania's present policy reflects well on the character and behavior of their passengers, and while others may agree (or disagree) they act and behave like adults respecting the rights of others.

May it always be so! :cool:

What can I say?! Within a trice a perfect answer - and from a voice of authority. A voice I believe, if I am not mistaken, we may be able to put a face to sometime from the 28th onward...? Looking forward to meeting you!

If you're really worried about your gin, purchase a Rum Runner which theoretically is safe from detection. I know that my vodka got on board an NCL ship this way.

That being said, you won't have a problem bringing liquor on board the ship unless you abuse the privilege.

Rum Runners are handy if you want to carry your liquor in your checked luggage on the flight since there's no risk of it breaking.

If you're really worried about your gin, purchase a Rum Runner which theoretically is safe from detection. I know that my vodka got on board an NCL ship this way.

That being said, you won't have a problem bringing liquor on board the ship unless you abuse the privilege.

Rum Runners are handy if you want to carry your liquor in your checked luggage on the flight since there's no risk of it breaking.

I never heard of a Rum Runner until your post.

Is it the same as what is shown here?

http://www.cruiseshirts.com/rum%20runner%20spring_break%20kit.jpg

There are 24-hour medical tests that use something just like that.

Either way, ick! How unappetizing.

Yes, those look like the Rum Runners. However, there was absolutely no effect on the taste of my vodka. I haven't tried Rum Runners with wine, though.

Magellans.com also sells something called Bottle Armor:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Gifts_for_Travelers___Gifts_under__50FP137

If you fear a bad effect on the taste of your booze, you put the bottle inside these protective coverings. They're more expensive, of course. But not outrageous.

If you live near a Total Wine, they sell a product called Wine Skins. 2 for $5. They are essentially sealed bubble wrap protectors for packing wine in luggage. They work great and they are much cheaper than the Magellan product. You may be able to find Wine Skins on line too.

Even Magellan's sell them - 2 for $10

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Hygiene___Food___DrinkFP321

In the Mediterranean, we brought bottles of wine on board in every port. Divine stuff. SE Asia was a different story LOL

Amazon has them as well but it looks like a shade more expensive than at Magellans -- 2 for $11.

So maybe I'll get me some Wine Skins!

Thanks for the hint.

Mura

P.S. Just looked a bit more closely. Wine Skins (according to the Magellans site) are one-time use. The Armor things are multi-use. So they could be worth the extra money ...

I am at a loss why you would need to smuggle liquor on Oceania:confused::confused:

They do have a very fair policy of allowing you to bring on alcohol for your cabin use

Some people abuse the privilege so that may change in the future but for now they treat passengers as responsible adults.

Lyn

We have brought aboard bottles of Johnnie Walker scotch from the duty free as well as bottles of wines purchased at the ports. Never had a problem. Everyone does. Oceania is aware of the type of passenger that sails with them and alcohol is not a problem.

I am at a loss why you would need to smuggle liquor on Oceania:confused::confused:

They do have a very fair policy of allowing you to bring on alcohol for your cabin use

Some people abuse the privilege so that may change in the future but for now they treat passengers as responsible adults.

Lyn

Lyn, I don't think anyone is really talking about smuggling liquor on board O. The question was about the policy since most newbies are unsure.

I suggested the Rum Runners because I heard about them when we did our NCL cruise which DOES ban your own liquor. I didn't suggest them because of the need to smuggle anything on board but rather in case the questioner was concerned about the safety of liquor in luggage. It's a reasonable way to carry liquor. (There are other ways of course, some of them even better.)

I am curious. Does this stop your liquor from being detected as well? Reading this board certainly educates one. I think I am going to invest in the Armour Protection to bring home my duty free from Europe in May as I unfortunately have to land in Montreal before I continue my flight home to Vancouver.

Supposedly the Rum Runners prevent your liquor from being detected. I don't know if when I took my vodka on board to NCL that it was not detected or they didn't check! There were people sent to the detention room. I just wasn't one of them.

Of course, on O they aren't going to stop you from bringing your liquor on board so then the question is how do you get it to the ship.

Using any of these means -- Run Runners, the Armor things -- just protects your liquor. If you are passing through several airports and want to bring liquor, using these means is better since security will ban your bottles.

As an example ... when we came home from Sydney in January 2008 we flew to Auckland, then L.A. We didn't have liquor with us, but if we HAD -- we had to go through complete security in Auckland even though we never left the innards of the terminal. If we'd bought any liquor in Sydney it would have bee confiscated.

Had we had the armor things or even Rum Runners, the liquor could have gone into our checked luggage without a problem.

The fact is that we haven't bought liquor in airports in many years because what used to be a bargain -- rarely is these days.

Mura

Please forgive me but IMO this topic has been beaten with a dead horse so to speak. Please do a search on this subject. Pretty soon, Oceania will prohibit the carryon of alcohol like other lines. It is bound to happen. I have read threads that suggest passengers bring wine and cocktails to the dining room from their cabin.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=19941581

Please forgive me but IMO this topic has been beaten with a dead horse so to speak. Please do a search on this subject. Pretty soon, Oceania will prohibit the carryon of alcohol like other lines. It is bound to happen. I have read threads that suggest passengers bring wine and cocktails to the dining room from their cabin.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=19941581

The OP stated in her initial post that she had done a search on this subject and the only definitive answer she found was from way back in 2009.

Since Oceania (understandably, I guess) "couches" its language on this topic, I don't think it is unreasonable for newcomers to ask questions about the real policy regarding bringing liquor on board. They say in the cruise docs that any liquor brought on board will be held in bond. Well, according those in the know on CC, one can openly bring on a case of liquor. Why wouldn't folks be confused?

Believe me, I appreciate that Oceania treats its customers as responsible adults. But asking for clarification on a "gray" area is the responsible thing to do in my opinion.

Okay, you can be done with this thread but I for one disagree with your perception that this was a discussion of "smuggling".

When I suggested ways of bringing liquor on board it was with the idea of bringing it on safely. That doesn't mean "not getting caught" but rather "not getting broken".

I found out about Rum Runners when taking a cruise on a ship last year that did indeed forbid bringing your own liquor on board, but I have found it convenient to use them (and other products) for traveling these days ... given the TSA restrictions on liquids being brought on board an aircraft.

I reiterate that I can understand people wanting to be sure that there isn't a problem with bringing liquor on board Oceania vessels since so few other cruiselines permit this. Since the question is usually implicit in the subject line, if it bothers you -- don't read it.

It is also true that there have always been people who violate the rules on board regarding alcohol. Just as people sometimes smoked on their verandas before O really started enforcing the no smoking policies, so there are people who will take their drinks into the dining room, pretending they were coming from a bar. I am NOT justifying these actions.

Mura, you go girl! I'm going to Italy for the first time and I plan to " sample" the wine and would like to do so in my cabin. I'm in my 50's and know right from wrong but I also have been on a few lines that treat guest like children. This is my first "O" cruise and hope I will not be treated like i am on Disney.

PS never been on Disney nor do I ever plan to!

Deb

...Is there a protocol to follow to insure that I'm not abusing the privilege?

Sure. Don't get falling down drunk, loud, obnoxious and/or abusive from drinking.

I'm not being sarcastic. We all know there are people like that in every walk of life. The policies that Oceania states are there for the purpose of protecting themselves, the other passengers and the offenders themselves from that kind of behavior. They don't want to restrict adult beverage privileges, but the fact is that unless these policies are stated, they would not be able to take any action.

Fortunately, the type of passenger that O attracts has not yet resulted in any such behavior, or, if it has, the situation has been handled so delicately that no one has had cause to report it on Cruise Critic.

This is not to imply that there are no rules -- the basic rule is to enjoy your adult beverages in the comfort of your own stateroom. You can take your own wine to the dining room, but you will be expected to pay a corkage fee of $20 for the elegance of the wine steward opening the wine and serving you.

Archived