Fodor's review about Seabourn

Goldens4

Is it true that Seabourn's frequent sailor's are cliquish and do not mingle with new people on board? I did a Google on Seabourn reviews. Fodor's came up and this was one of the "cons" of sailing with Seabourn. Just asking.:)

Is it true that Seabourn's frequent sailor's are cliquish and do not mingle with new people on board? I did a Google on Seabourn reviews. Fodor's came up and this was one of the "cons" of sailing with Seabourn. Just asking.:)

That is total ROT! Yes, when oldies meet up with oldies..there is natural dialogue...BUT...never have I seen anyone..including ourselves..not enjoy and be hospitable to newbies. Many of whom..we became fast friends with. Just remember..those who report..often are reaching for something to report. :eek:

Hi Goldens4,

I went on my first cruise with the Odyssey and made many, many friends with whom, we still communicate. In fact, we will be catching up with some of them on the Sojourn World cruise 5 shortly.

As in life, you always find those who wish to keep to themselves. So long as you are willing to say hello, you will make many friends and what surprised me, was whilst some are well known due to their work or social background, they are just normal fun loving folks like us.

So don't hold back, join us ! :):)

People who choose to join a cruise are generally by nature gregarious. Then on Seabourn ships they- repeats or new- are out to enjoy the generous hospitality of exquisite quality on offer. That makes for a terrific occasion- over a week, two or longer- to enjoy the ultimate in cruise line experiences.

Next is that we all know that there are new passengers on board. Who knows who the new passengers are? Who would make the discrimination? And for what? In order to snub them? This doesn't happen.

Now maybe some new passengers try to make the social spaces their own in odd ways and thereby meet cold stares. I can only think that might happen if you go out of your way to do so and in violation of the guidelines spelled out in the Herald- such as smoking in public areas where it's not allowed, smoking cigars in the "allowed" areas but close to the non-smoking areas (such as the Sky Bar), wearing shorts in the "formal" areas after 18:00 such as the Observation Bar or trying to eat in the Colonnade in a swim suit and tee shirt. You would expect push back from experienced passengers, wouldn't you?

My view is that if you go with the flow these concerns would be unfounded.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

I agree with Markham in his comments about newbies. We were all newbies at one time and if we did not want to socialize we would not be on a cruise in the first place. It is annoying if other guests do not follow the guidelines set out by the cruise company but in my experience this does not happen often. We have met and made wonderful friends on our cruises (both experienced and new) and hope to continue doing so.

On our Seabourn Legend cruise a little over a week ago what made this cruise perfect for us was the people we met while aboard the ship. A few we knew by connecting on CC. There were others that we met dinning at an "invited table, and then others that we just simply became friends with while walking the deck at sail away or other areas of the ship. Someone asked me what I liked best about cruising on Seabourn and while the service and food is certainly up at the top of the list, I do believe the friendships we made during our cruise is the number one reason that we will sail again and again on a Seabourn ship.

Thank you so much for all of your replies. Fodor's has been off base for the last 20 years. Why I still read them I do not know. From what I have read from your very warm responses, I am sure we will be very comfortable. Yes, we were newbies on another luxury line and made wonderful friends and will miss the folks dearly. There are just times when you need to move on. We are looking forward to sailing with Seabourn. Hoping to meet all of you soon!

Are there many children on a 2 week Thanksgiving cruise? The only time my DH can take vacation is from about 11/15 till after New Year's so we are blocked into a time frame.

Bon Voyage to all that are sailing soon!:)

I should think there would be very few children over Thanksgiving. Most schools only give 2 days off and then the weekend. Also fewer on the first two weeks of December. I like to cruise then.

It's unfortunate that a formerly well respected reviewer such as Fodor, would rely on previous but outdated material/information. Looking to experience it for myself, we sailed onboard Seabourn and were pleasantly surprised to meet and enjoy many new comrades! And to date, one year later, we have continued to enjoy e-mails with new-found Seabourn friends, not to mention a specific visit with British 'mates' who have (among several homes) one in Florida where we have visited at least twice in the past year....and all from a chance meeting onboard a Seabourn cruise. Perhaps Fodor isn't as finite in detail as its perception so I won't be looking for information regarding their observations anytime soon. Instead, I'll be reading 'board' recommendations from Cruise Critic which I'm confident will hold us in good stead!:)

Thank you all again for your kindness in answering. JaneBP, we also looked into the Dec. cruise, but it arrives too close to Christmas for us. Sorry we will miss you.

I agree, Fodor's is way off base. The CC forums are very informative and helpful.

We are just embarked Spirit and about to test the thesis that passengers are a reserved lot. Based on six previous Seabourn cruises, I am pretty sure I know the answer. As a group, those aboard Seabourn vessels are friendly and approachable. It is difficult not to make friend on these cruises. Hosted tables are a great way to start. Both new passengers and veterans of past sailings attend in relatively equal numbers. Trivia requires team members to work together, and they do and continue these friendships at meals and on shore excursions Friends made on earlier cruises have been repeat guests in our home and others have kept in touch by telephone and e-mail. Of course this is due in large part to passenger demographics. Most aboard are Americans or from Commonwealth countries. Especially on longer cruises they tend to be middle aged or older. It will be interesting to see how passengers interact on this particular voyage which, as many of you know, has had it's share of controversy from last minute itinerary changes and Seabourn's move to Seattle. I feel nevertheless that we will enjoy a friendly atmosphere and meet a number of interesting and engaged people.

Archived