What to do in Vancouver???????

believer33323

Five hours would scarcely allow you time time to see the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain in fact it would be best if you chose just one of the attractions. Frankly with the time you have allowed I would just take in a part of Stanley Park, maybe Gastown, do your shopping and that will be your five hours. Take SkyTrain from Main Street Station (across from the Amtrak station) to Waterfront Station, get yourself a map and start walking.

has anyone been to lynn canyon? if so, how long does ti take via ferry and bus fom downtown. I will be be in Vancouver post cruise late May and have been to both the Capilano bridge and Grouse Mountain (nice view but not much of interest once you get past the view). They seemed like tourist traps to me and not worth the steep admission prices unlike the Vancouver Aquarium which was well worth the price of admission.

has anyone been to lynn canyon? if so, how long does ti take via ferry and bus fom downtown. I will be be in Vancouver post cruise late May and have been to both the Capilano bridge and Grouse Mountain (nice view but not much of interest once you get past the view). They seemed like tourist traps to me and not worth the steep admission prices unlike the Vancouver Aquarium which was well worth the price of admission.

Takes about 40 mins in either direction. You take the SeaBus from Waterfront Station then transfer to a #229 bus at Lonsdale Quay. Tell the bus driver where you want to go and they will let you off at the correct stop. http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire

Wonderful walking trails at Lynn Valley - tip cross the suspension bridge and then walk the trail downhill to the wooden bridge to cross back over to climb back up to the parking lot - that is the easier direction to do in my opinion.

Enjoy

from south Florida, we will arrive after 9 hours of flights and layovers by noon. If we took the HOHO and didn't actually get off, would it be worth a kind of sightseeing tour. I'm afraid we may be too exhausted from jet lag and cruise is next day. If we are up to it, the aquarium would be a stop I would consider. Thanks.

i have lived in van my whole life, ( born here), van has some of the best ethnic food in the world. such as, indian, thai, different regions of china, vietnamese, and amazing sushi. what do you like?, also there are walkable interesting neighborhoods, such as main st, commercial dr, chinatown, japantown, and an indian market. plus italian , ethiopian, spanish, etc....

In your opinion, where is the best Thai food?

from south Florida, we will arrive after 9 hours of flights and layovers by noon. If we took the HOHO and didn't actually get off, would it be worth a kind of sightseeing tour. I'm afraid we may be too exhausted from jet lag and cruise is next day. If we are up to it, the aquarium would be a stop I would consider. Thanks.

Yes one if the HOHOs is a great way to see at lot of the city in a little time and yes you could just stay on it and use it as a tour. If you are to jet lagged then here is a link to a tour that may work for you the next morning, it is extremely popular with cruisers. http://www.vancouvertours.com/pre-cruise-vancouver-city-tour

I would head out to Grouse Mtn & Capilano Suspension Bridge first thing in the morning...caveat only go up Grouse Mtn if it is a nice clear day - if it is rainy or overcast you will not enjoy the view which is a big part of Grouse Mtn...Stopping at Capilano Suspension Bridge first and allow about 1.5 hours for this - (this also allows the day to warm up a bit and any mist time to burn off before you head up the mountian) this should get you to the Mtn well before noon and I would have lunch up top and plan to spend about 4 hours there... then heading back to Vancouver I would then do GasTown and if tiem permist walk over to China Town as they are so close together - planning to have dinner in Gastown...and leave Stanley Park for the next day.

All of the above can be easily done on an all day public transit pass costing $9. (less for seniors)

If you have any questions on the above ask away.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions! We are staying at the Pan Pacific for 2 nights post cruise and this is exactly what we are thinking of doing. How difficult is it to figure out the public transit system? I had originally figured we would use the trolley, but if the public transit system will get us everywhere for $9, I'm thinking this may be the way to go.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions! We are staying at the Pan Pacific for 2 nights post cruise and this is exactly what we are thinking of doing. How difficult is it to figure out the public transit system? I had originally figured we would use the trolley, but if the public transit system will get us everywhere for $9, I'm thinking this may be the way to go.

Getting from the Pan Pacific to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mtn SkyRide is pretty easy. The red brick building to the east of the hotel is Waterfront Station, just walk over to it and catch the SeaBus which crosses the harbour to Lonsdale Quay, there transfer to a #236 bus, tell the operator what you want to do and that is about it. If you do the bridge first then when you leave it just go to the bus stop and catch the bus going up the hill to the SkyRide (#236). For your return just reverse this.

Once back at Waterfront Station simply exit the station to Cordova St. turn left, and within 2 blocks you will be entering Gastown. Getting from Gastown to Chinatown is just a little more complicated. It is only a couple of blocks away but you walk through a very seedy area and you just may care to take a cab for the few dollars involved and then take a cab back to your hotel.

Here is a link to transit planing. http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire

Getting from the Pan Pacific to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mtn SkyRide is pretty easy. The red brick building to the east of the hotel is Waterfront Station, just walk over to it and catch the SeaBus which crosses the harbour to Lonsdale Quay, there transfer to a #236 bus, tell the operator what you want to do and that is about it. If you do the bridge first then when you leave it just go to the bus stop and catch the bus going up the hill to the SkyRide (#236). For your return just reverse this.

Once back at Waterfront Station simply exit the station to Cordova St. turn left, and within 2 blocks you will be entering Gastown. Getting from Gastown to Chinatown is just a little more complicated. It is only a couple of blocks away but you walk through a very seedy area and you just may care to take a cab for the few dollars involved and then take a cab back to your hotel.

Here is a link to transit planing. http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire

Here is a map link from the Vancouver trolley company (Hop On-Off) It's seems like a nice map of vancouver and it shows the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mtn SkyRide.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tours/hop-on-hop-off

Map; showing the route up the #236 bus to Grouse Mtn (and Capilano Bridge)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.305203,-122.935295&spn=0.175279,0.528374&z=12

and that $9 transit pass will get you a heck of a lot further than a trolley ticket. Including to/from the airport, to/from the ferry terminals etc etc.

Another consideration is that if your journey is mostly within downtown/north shore/Richmond, you can buy a book of 10, 2-zone transit tickets (each good for 90 mins) for $31.50. When you get off the plane, go find the 7-11 in the terminal building, and buy your book right there and then, and use the 1st two to get downtown on the new subway from airport.

Wow, thanks so much for the information! We will definitely go with the public transit system - $9 for all day is fantastic! I'm really looking forward to seeing Vancouver!

Karen

Im still debating what to do in Vancouver. Our ship arrives at 7 30am. Thinking that we will be off by hopefully 9 30 or so... We have a full day to discover Vancouver. We are staying at the Four Seasons. I have explored the HOHO. The one thing that I question is the last stop by our hotel is at 3:10... seems so early! We really want to explore Stanley Park and maybe the aquarium. Is it worth it to do the HOHO when these 2 places may take up most of the time? Id love some suggestions of what to do. We are healthy 55/65 yr olds.

Im still debating what to do in Vancouver. Our ship arrives at 7 30am. Thinking that we will be off by hopefully 9 30 or so... We have a full day to discover Vancouver. We are staying at the Four Seasons. I have explored the HOHO. The one thing that I question is the last stop by our hotel is at 3:10... seems so early! We really want to explore Stanley Park and maybe the aquarium. Is it worth it to do the HOHO when these 2 places may take up most of the time? Id love some suggestions of what to do. We are healthy 55/65 yr olds.

That advantage of the HOHOs is that you do get to see a lot of the city in a short period of time and you could get off at Canada Place later in the day and walk the 5/6 blocks up to the Four Seasons. However as your primary focus is Stanley Park you could take a bus down to the park, then explore (at 1,000 acres you could spend days doing that), take in the Aquarium and then catch the bus back. If you still had the energy you could walk to Gastown or take a bus to Granville Island and back. Here is a link to our transit system's trip planner.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/

We will be spending 2 and a half days in Vancouver before our cruise starts. We are staying at the Oceanside Hotel on Pendrell. Right now, I have a car rented, but I keep reading how great the public transportation is. We have a whale watching cruise scheduled for Thursday, but the company has free hotel pickup. Friday, we are thinking of doing Grouse Mountain and/or Capilano Suspension Bridge. We are also considering doing the lookout at some point in our trip and maybe the Vancouver Aquarium (still trying to narrow it all down).

Here is my question: how efficient is the public transportation? Are we going to lose tons of time connecting from one route to another and trying to figure out what goes where?

Second, if we keep the car, do most places have free parking, or are we going to be dropping 10 bucks every time we turn around for that?

Trying to figure out how to see as much as possible in as relaxing a way as possible. Thanks for any info!

Vancouver's transportation system is extremely efficient and given what you are planning I would ditch the car. You can purchase an all day transit pass for $9 at a convince store on Denman St. or you can purchase a book of discounted transit tickets which you can share, you will need 2 zone tickets. You may have a little wait for a bus but no more than you would trying to find a parking space...and yes with may sites in Vancouver you will be paying for parking. I know from your other posts you are a planner so here is link to our transit's "trip planner" and you can see what you need to do from it.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/

We will be spending 2 and a half days in Vancouver before our cruise starts. We are staying at the Oceanside Hotel on Pendrell. Right now, I have a car rented, but I keep reading how great the public transportation is. We have a whale watching cruise scheduled for Thursday, but the company has free hotel pickup. Friday, we are thinking of doing Grouse Mountain and/or Capilano Suspension Bridge. We are also considering doing the lookout at some point in our trip and maybe the Vancouver Aquarium (still trying to narrow it all down).

Here is my question: how efficient is the public transportation? Are we going to lose tons of time connecting from one route to another and trying to figure out what goes where?

Second, if we keep the car, do most places have free parking, or are we going to be dropping 10 bucks every time we turn around for that?

Trying to figure out how to see as much as possible in as relaxing a way as possible. Thanks for any info!

I would suggest public transportation, it's a lot less stressful and allows both of you to look out the window and see what's there, rather than worrying if you're in the right lane.. Also, Parking isn't cheap in the downtown core (and some hotels can charge up to $15/day for parking).

As for transit, a couple of choices , day passes are $9 (purchase BEFORE you get on the bus from any corner store/7-11 etc), or you can buy a book of 10 two-zone tickets (each good for 90 minutes) for $31.50. Tickets (like all transit tickets are good on Buses/Skytrain/Seabus)

If you're flying INTO vancouver, its a no brainer, hit the 7-11 at the airport, and buy your tickets, then use the Skytrain from the airport to downtown. (although you'll have to transfer to a bus to get to your hotel)

map of common tourist activities, via transit: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.28046,-123.106956&spn=0.085332,0.127888&z=13

Have fun!

I have been reading all the great info on touring Vancouver and bought a coupon for 2 for 1 for the trolley use, a savings of $38.00. I called them today for their summer hours and found out the last trolley is about 4:40pm. That said I will not be able to use this coupon I bought.

Gohogs34@yahoo dot com

My cruise ship disembarks in Vancouver at 7:00am on a Saturday and my flight doesn't leave until 11:00pm. I was planning on storing my luggage and having it transported to the airport. Then I was planning on taking the HOHO and doing a complete tour of the city and then getting off to explore wherever it looked most interesting to me.

I would really like to go to the Capilaso Suspension Bridge. What is the best way of getting there from the HOHO? Do you recommend I go there first before doing anything else?

Also, my flight leaves at 11:00pm. What is the easiest way to get to the airport? I assume heading to the airport around 8:00pm would leave me enough time. I will not have luggage with me, so I don't need to worry about lugging that around with me, but I'm guessing we will be a bit tired after travelling for 12 days and a full day in Vancouver, so nothing too strenuous just to save a few dollars.

Thanks!

When we got back from out cruise on the Volendam, we stored out luggage at the port and took the bus to Granville Public Market (http://www.igougo.com/attractions-reviews-b33334-Vancouver-Granville_Island_Public_Market.html). If you like food, this is the place to be! Any kind of food you can imagine, and at its peak, too!

A block away, we went to a rustic fish shack called Go Fish (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/180709/restaurant/Fairview/Go-Fish-Ocean-Emporium-Vancouver). The fish and chips were to die for and I'm still trying to duplicate their Asian slaw. They open at 11:00 and there is a hugh line by then, we got there at 10:30 and waited. We were not disappointed!

For breakfast we went to a local place 2 blocks from the dock, called Scozzi's (http://www.scoozis.ca/). Best egg bennies I've ever had! It comes with a small bowl of fresh fruit and in it was Dragon Fruit, and I've spent two years looking for some.

For dinner, we had great eats at The Fish House at Stanley Park (http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/). Great shrimp and gorgeous views of the park.

I can't wait to go back to Vancouver and stay a week, great city and great food!

Have fun!

We did a 4-hour tour of Vancouver after disembarking from our cruise. I really enjoyed Stanley Park. The totems are awesome and there is a great view of the harbor with our cruise shop docked in Canada Place! I would have also liked to spend more time in Gastown and Chinatown. You can see photos on my blog (click on Vancouver):

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Hope that helps!

Archived