Halifax & St. John NB with boys (8 & 10)

We're all set to sail on the Carnival Glory on July 16th. We'll be traveling with our 8 & 10 yr old sons. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do with them. We're a little worried they may be bored. Any suggestions on some fun, educational things we should do or see. We're considering Peggy's Cove but otherwise we're not too sure.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

They will have a great time....but just keep this in mind. We have been cruising with our girls for the last 10 yeasr....We have been on this cruise 3 times. Our girls are 16 and 14 but the first time we did the Canada cruise, they were about your boys ages. Honestly, they are not the most exciting ports of call but let me tell you what worked for us.

First for (Halifax)......As pretty as it is, Peggy's Cove is really not worth the trip - I know a lot of people will criticize me for saying that -- but the ride is VERY long and once you get there you can see everything and shop in the little shop in less than an hour. On the other hand, if your boys have any knowledge of the Titanic -- there are 2 great things to see. There is the titanic cemetary, and the titanic museum. We took a private excursion (one of the times) with a great guy (if you want his name/number I can get it for you). He was so knowledgable and showed us so much in the cemetary and then we went to the titanci museum and that was very interesting - we did this when our girls were about 12 and 10.

Second, there is a great two decker bus that drives you around the city and explains the sights....you can get on and off when ever you want. We did this the first time we were there....and we all liked it....and we were able to see everything.

Finally, just last year, we took the Halifax ferry to a little island just across the harbor. It let us off in a little town where we walked around, had a snack and visited their library....where my girls were thrilled because there were able to use the computers and check in with Facebook.

Also....right next to where the ship docks is a boardwalk/promanade were the local merchants are beginning to develope the area into a shop, look and enjoy...sort of like a local main street fair....last year, you could tell that it was coming together...hopefully there is more this year. If you go to the Titanic Museum you would walk this way back to the ship.

Saint John....I really love it here. When you get off the ship, you walk through a tented visitor welcome center (this is also in Halifax). . Lots of local merchant....everyone is so very friendly. You will find get local souveniers. Then when you leave this tent you make a left and walk up the street. There you will see a city bus tour....it is very inexpensive, airconditioned and very reasonable...children are either half price of free. This bus will take you around and give you a tour....it is really worth it. You will see everything you wanted too and it will stop at the hightlights and let you go around and explore.

Also, across from the bus tour sign, there is a little local "flea Market" -- a nice place to walk around an spend a little bit of time. Then you can either walk outside or through the local business/mall up throught town until you get to the old fashioned market. This is a local market with food and looks like you stepped back in time. If you take the city tour -- they stop there and you go int and look around.

These are just some idea....one of the stops also has the land/water boat where you blow a duck whistle....it looks cute and suited for children.

Also, keep in mind, that maybe your boys might want to stay with Camp Carnival - and you and hubby can explore a bit. Either way...you will find plenty to do -- although really not "exciting." It is super safe, clean and nice.

Hope I didn't ramble too long.....and that some of the info is helpful.

Lisa

We're all set to sail on the Carnival Glory on July 16th. We'll be traveling with our 8 & 10 yr old sons. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do with them. We're a little worried they may be bored. Any suggestions on some fun, educational things we should do or see. We're considering Peggy's Cove but otherwise we're not too sure.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

In Halifax, I would consider going to the Citadel. They have a short tour and various gun demonstrations that the kids would enjoy. I would also consider a Harbor Hopper tour, lobster boat excursion or a ride on Theodore Tugboat (especially if they were Thomas the Tank Engine fans when they were younger). Here is a link for some tours.

http://visitors.halifax.ca/tours.shtml?getSearch=35

For St John, I would go to Reversing Falls or St Martin. They would probably enjoy walking in the caves if you timed it right with the tides.

We have visited both ports four times (over five cruises, with a sixth booked this summer) with our boys - the first time, in 2004, they were 13, 8 and 4. Now the younger sons are 15 and 11 (the oldest doesn't sail with us anymore due to his college schedule). Both ports are easy do-it-yourself walking tours. In Saint John, our boys enjoyed the one-hour horse-drawn trolley ride, walking around town, and walking along the Harbour Passage. There are good restaurants with kid-friendly menus within walking distance of the pier. I think this year we're going to try venturing out of town to one of the nearby fishing villages for a morning excursion, then come back for lunch and walk around. And buy some Canada mints for oldest son - he fell in love with them on our first visit to Saint John.:cool:

In Halifax, I think I would skip Peggy's Cove - we did it on one of our cruises, and while it was a nice place it wasn't of that much interest to our kids. (We have a lighthouse on the Hudson River a couple of miles from our house, so lighthouses are nothing new to them.;)) And it was foggy - there was very little to see going to and from Peggy's Cove. Our kids enjoyed the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which has the Titanic display - but there's much more to the museum than Titanic, including a 1913 ship to visit. The boys also enjoyed the Harbour Hopper, which is a one-hour tour of Halifax on a duck boat - 1/2 hour on land, 1/2 hour in the harbor. Again, Halifax has a great boardwalk along the waterfront.

Both ports are very easy, very safe ports. And both have some of the friendliest people you'd ever want to meet - people you feel genuinely welcome cruise ships and their passengers to their hometowns. I don't tire of visiting either port.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Looks like we are going to scratch Peggy's Cove. We are looking at the Tall Ship excursion and then walking around Halifax for the rest of the day. As for Saint John, we're considering the Pink Bus and going to the reversing falls.

We really appreciate all of your help.

Monica

• 2 weeks later...

One item of great interest for young people is the Discvovery Center on Barrington & Sackville Sts. about 20 minutes from the Pier. Lots of interesting things for young ones, Theodore Tugboat is also great as my grand children still enjoy (12 years old )

I also suggest visiting The Citadel. It is an old fort that was used to protect Halifax.

There is a daily noon cannon shooting. The guides are volunteers who are dressed in uniforms. You can tour actual barracks.

Also right at the pier is Pier 21 which is the Canadien equivalent of Ellis Island. If your kids like history, they would enjoy this. There are a few interactive displays as well as a short film.

Archived