Best place to kayak

auntkani

Hey Everyone. My husband and I are looking for the best place to kayak. We would love to see alot of wildlife and great scenery. Thanks in advance.

You might want to tell people where you're going. For instance my choice is Valdez, but that doesn't help you any if you're not going to be in Valdez.

you might try googling 'tourism' or 'visitor information center' along with the name of the town, then look at the vendors' web sites. I think your chances of seeing wildlife are slim ( other than an otter or seal) unless your trip starts with a water taxi that drops you off a few hours from the port.

We enjoyed our trip to orca cove with southeast sea kayaks in Ketchikan. Wildlife (other than marine invertebrates and birds) is not likely (we were lucky and saw sea lions), but the overall experience of being on the water is fantastic.

Did you book ahead or wait until you arrived in Ketchikan?

Do not expect a "lot" of wildlife and most of it will be birds, if not going during the salmon runs.

I have kayaked in a couple locations out of Ketchikan and Juneau. ANY kayaking is a lot of fun. I suggest you determine, what other touring priorities you have and look at the total list?

Unfortunately kayaking goes out in small groups and these tours are less available for walk up space. Booking ahead is a good idea, IF you are willing to accept all weather conditions?

We also used Southeast Seas in Ketchikan, and it was amazing. We saw bald eagles, sea lions and a marten, but most importantly, the guides were great and we had a ton of fun. I'm just sad I can't do it again this next cruise because we'll have our toddlers with us.

Unfortunately kayaking goes out in small groups and these tours are less available for walk up space. Booking ahead is a good idea, IF you are willing to accept all weather conditions?

Not so sure about accepting the all weather conditions. That is a bit of a concern, mostly for my DH. I may sign up by myself and send my DH for the Bering Sea Crab Tour. Or we may pick something all together different. Still mulling it over.

Another suggestion is renting canoes or kayaks for the lake at the base of the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. You can paddle amongst the bergie bits and ice floes; it would be a great vantage point to see the glacier, but you aren't allowed to get too close. When we were at the visitors centre 2 yrs ago we saw Arctic Terns nesting on the sand bars and we had just missed a bear sighting so you never know what kind of wild life you will see.

This is offered through an independant outfitter, not through the visitors center; and it is my understanding that there are limited spaces available, as you need a permit to do this, which they will supply. They also offer kayak excursions in the open water if you want to try to see whales and other marine wild life. I think I found out about this through the Junuea Tourism board, although I sure that you can find out more by doing a search on these boards.

If, or is that when, I get back, this is definitely something that I would love to do.

Archived