Maho Beach in St. Maartin

greenbrier

Maho Beach was included on a private island excursion that we took with Joyce Prince last week in St. Maarten. DH and I had no interest in the Maho experience but everyone else in our group did, so we dropped the group off at the beach and, after the bus was parked, we made a beeline for the bar. We still got to watch the planes while sipping pina coladas in the shade - the others got to experience it firsthand - and it turned out to be a "win-win" for everyone!

How sad is it that St.Martin has to use planes and a runway to fill out the excursion choices.

This is just my opinion, not tryin' to start anything.

Even with the tighter security in the US, there are plenty of places if you want to look at planes landing.

IMHO!

mimi

????

I just have to respond, this has to take the award for one of the most vacuous postings I've ever seen. Last time I looked, the island of St. Maarten doesn't actively promote standing at the end of the runway and watching the reverse thrust of a 737 as an official guided tour.

It just so happens that a significant number of tourists enjoy the experience of being so close to an airport runway - nothing more and nothing less. The sad thing (IMHO) is the propensity for the volume of air found inside the craniums of some people these days..................

How sad is it that St.Martin has to use planes and a runway to fill out the excursion choices.

Even with the tighter security in the US, there are plenty of places if you want to look at planes landing.

IMHO!

mimi

How many you tube hits do those plane landings get?

Its cool for an hour or two and I don't remember anyone ever telling anyone that they need to make sure that they book an excursion to Maho, get there early and stake out a spot. It has a great vibe and is a fun place to sit back and enjoy part of ones day with a nice cold cocktail.

IMHO!

mimi

First off, this airport is located on the Dutch side of the island, so it's St. Maarten, but Island Government actually discourages tourist visits to Maho, erecting a new fence and posting warning signs that closely approaching and departing aircraft could result in "extreme bodily harm and/or death".

My recollection is that these actions followed an insurance claim when a tourist was injured at the fence.

I'd love for you to point out one US airport that even comes close to the Maho experience.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Orient first (I wanted the experience of saying I was there and I had never been to a "nude" beach before). I wasn't too impressed with the place itself.

I had seen so many videos of the planes coming in (and at first I'm thinking, why would anyone want to sit around and watch planes land?)...until I seen this....

Just beware of walking on the concrete barriers between the road and the beach...I feel between one and broke my hand that day. lol :(

Here's a few of my pictures from Maho and St Maarten.

http://kimbakerphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation/4th-day-St-Maarten/13875330_oysuz#1017690191_vKgcw

I think they planes are on the second page.

Whatever you do...just have fun! :D

Air France / KLM have the big planes that come in. Their arrival time is 1:35 most days. American comes in at 2:05 & 7:35 pretty much every day.

It's also cool to be there when the big ones take off. I'm putting a link here to show people getting blown into the water.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTLGsEErWJY

Contrary to a certain poster that thinks it's sad, hanging out at Sunset Bar & Grill is a favorite place to go.

• 1 month later...

Hello all. Thanks for all the info.

So... its safe to say that if we visit Maho for planes and leave by taxi by 2.30ish... that gives us plenty of time to get back to ship for 6pm sail away??? I am thinking we must be back on ship 5-5.30!! Really wanna go but worried about the traffic jams people talk about!!

Hello all. Thanks for all the info.

So... its safe to say that if we visit Maho for planes and leave by taxi by 2.30ish... that gives us plenty of time to get back to ship for 6pm sail away??? I am thinking we must be back on ship 5-5.30!! Really wanna go but worried about the traffic jams people talk about!!

You will most likely even have some time to stop in town for some shopping or for a drink on the boardwalk. The problem is the later that you leave Maho in the afternoon the more traffic and bridge openings become a problem. The shopping area on Front St and the pier where the ships are can be reached on foot in less then 20 minutes so once you reach the town I would have the driver drop you off because you should have a good hour and a half to enjoy yourself without worrying about being stuck in a traffic jam. The taxi ride back to the ship would only be a few dollars and say five minutes or so from Front St. Most ships ask you to board no later than 30 minutes prior to sailing.

No ear plugs needed...at least we didn't think so.

It's not bad when they are arriving. Leaving is a little loud because they back themselves up against the fence/road and rev the engines then take off. It's the blast of air that will throw you in the water.

Archived