Our Best Meals on the Marina

JimandStan

We really thought that the food on the Marina was kicked up into the stratosphere, which is a good thing because the question that we are most often asked about our cruises is about the food.

This was our top ten list in no particular order:

1. Lobster Thermidor in Jacques
  2. Sea Bass in Red Ginger
  3. Lobster Pad Thai in Red Ginger
  4. The Foie Gras Casserole in Jacques
  5. Osso Bucco in Tuscana
  6. Sole Tempura in Red Ginger ( It is "the Chairmans' Choice" )
  7. Duck & Watermelon Salad in Red Ginger
  8. Linguine Cioppino in Tuscana
  9. Rack of Lamb in Polo
  10. Lobster tail grilled to your order in the Terrace

OK, maybe ten was too tight a list, just two more:

• Oceania can now boast of having the very best Sushi at Sea! REALLY SUPERB and as good as the best Sushi that we've ever had in Manhattan. It MADE our night at the Terrace Restaurant.
  • The Crispy Ginger Calamari is AMAZING! Brilliantly tender, with a wisp of a crust and a savory-sweet sauce that will have you crooning to your table mates. If you can guess where it is served, you get extra credit!

231517.jpg

OK. They look like Stan and Jim and they sound like Stan and Jim, but at a total of 8 posts - what have you done with the Stan and Jim we've grown to know and rely on!!!

They made us re-register! What a mess!

I loved the steamed mussels in Jacques and the Choux a la Creme for desert, which is out of this world! You could have rolled me off the ship after the Maiden and Innaugural but we're coming back for more punishment. ;) :)

If we're talking desserts, I LOVE that they added something as light as the Marshmallow Trio to the menu in Polo~

You must try it with an Iced Cappuccino, thanks for the referral, Naomi! ;)

We really thought that the food on the Marina was kicked up into the stratosphere, which is a good thing because the question that we are most often asked about our cruises is about the food.

This was our top ten list in no particular order:

1. Lobster Thermidor in Jacques
  2. Sea Bass in Red Ginger
  3. Lobster Pad Thai in Red Ginger
  4. The Foie Gras Casserole in Jacques
  5. Osso Bucco in Tuscana
  6. Sole Tempura in Red Ginger ( It is "the Chairmans' Choice" )
  7. Duck & Watermelon Salad in Red Ginger
  8. Linguine Cioppino in Tuscana
  9. Rack of Lamb in Polo
  10. Lobster tail grilled to your order in the Terrace

OK, maybe ten was too tight a list, just two more:

• Oceania can now boast of having the very best Sushi at Sea! REALLY SUPERB and as good as the best Sushi that we've ever had in Manhattan. It MADE our night at the Terrace Restaurant.
  • The Crispy Ginger Calamari is AMAZING! Brilliantly tender, with a wisp of a crust and a savory-sweet sauce that will have you crooning to your table mates. If you can guess where it is served, you get extra credit!

Nothing gets my attention like the subject of good food!:p I LOVE Lobster Thermidor and it is hard to find on the menu around here! I can hardly wait!!!:D Thanks for starting this thread.

Judy

• Administrators
They made us re-register! What a mess!

We'd never do that intentionally.

Please send me an email using your original email address of record (from your other account) and we can fix this. Email me at: community@cruisecritic.com. It must be from your original email address of record.

Laura

Stan & Jim....I am really looking forward to well made lobster thermador...I know you had a foie gras casserole but I need to ask, do they have Pate de Foie Gras available?. And is all of their foie gras cannard or do they sometimes have the real Goose liver foie gras ?...The osso buco is another favorite of mine...Filet of Sole Tempura style will be a new treat for me and sounds great.....Did you by any chance run across Braised Short Ribs at any meal or venue?....I also really appreciated your comparison of aft OC suites versus those on deck 12...We are in 12007 for 22 days in January and another 10 days in July...For us deck 12 works better...Aft suites have there advantages though to be honest. Was Florian the food and beverage manager on your cruise ?....Who was the General Manager if I may ask.? Thanks, Rob

Stan & Jim....I am really looking forward to well made lobster thermador...I know you had a foie gras casserole but I need to ask, do they have Pate de Foie Gras available?. And is all of their foie gras cannard or do they sometimes have the real Goose liver foie gras ?...The osso buco is another favorite of mine...Filet of Sole Tempura style will be a new treat for me and sounds great.....Did you by any chance run across Braised Short Ribs at any meal or venue?....I also really appreciated your comparison of aft OC suites versus those on deck 12...We are in 12007 for 22 days in January and another 10 days in July...For us deck 12 works better...Aft suites have there advantages though to be honest. Was Florian the food and beverage manager on your cruise ?....Who was the General Manager if I may ask.? Thanks, Rob

Whew- you're putting me to work here but I'll try-

The ship stocks both kinds of Foie Gras, but if it is a particular favorite of yours, have your agent contact Oceania. Not only will your in suite canapés include Foie Gras more often, but your butler will tell you when it is slated to appear on the various Menu's around the ship.

We did enjoy the Braised Short Ribs, in the GDR, after having missed the night that they were offered in La Reserve. They are calling them 72 hour Short ribs. which we thought was a little precious, but they were delicious, just the same.

I believe that Florian was our F&B manager, and Nicola Volpe was the General Manager

You will love your Oceania Suite on deck 12, which is, by far, the quietest area of the ship. Almost a Zen like feeling

Thank You for the reply....Come January who knows who may be the General Manager....I would enjoy getting Carlo Gunetti back !!!.....To me the General Managers are the most important part of a Ships' staff as far as my having a great cruise. Thanks again....Rob

Thank You for the reply....Come January who knows who may be the General Manager....I would enjoy getting Carlo Gunetti back !!!.....To me the General Managers are the most important part of a Ships' staff as far as my having a great cruise. Thanks again....Rob

Rob-

Turn about is fair play: What does the General Manager generally manage for you?

Rob-

Turn about is fair play: What does the General Manager generally manage for you?

..This is a fair question but it is also complex...First I guess it is pertenent to know a little about myself...We are 79 years old and cruise a good bit. (3-4 cruises/year) over 55 cruises total...I spent 65 years in the food industry and worked closely with the Hospitality industry...I view the General Manager/Hotel Manager as the person responsible for those things that directly affect my cruise experience...I do not believe that the average cruiser realizes just who reports him. Housekeeping of course, everything involving food and food service. (Chefs, Bar management, Dining room Manager and Sommelier), the Cruise Director and Shore Excursion department and of course the Chief Purser....I always make a point of meeting these gentlemen and two of them have become good friends through mutual interests and respect., beyond that I am just not willing to say much more in such a public forum as I think it most likely would be misunderstood by some as egotism, read Hot Air......I would hope to sail with you one day as you have a very nice way with words. That is a gift you should treasure....Hope this helps a little, Rob.....

Stan & Jim, one more quick question to keep you working. Was there a Balcony Dinner for Owner, Vista (possibly Oceania) suites on 'Marina"?

Yes there was, although now they do it in La Reserve, using a special menu, and call it The Bistro Dinner.

It was a lovely atmosphere, the food was stellar and the wines were exceptional.

Come to think of it, it was on that evening that we were finally able to wrangle.......er.........that we were graciously invited to visit a Deck 12 Oceania Suite!

023222.jpg

Archived