Cruise Director

BurtonRiderT6

Might be a dumb series of questions but here goes :rolleyes:: What's the purpose of the cruise director? Does the cruise director make-up the freestyle daily? How often do cruise directors rotate off the ships, lets say "Bob" is there in April will "Bob" still be there in October? Are they just promoters for the ship's activities? Just curious because I see people having favorite cruise directors and I've only seen the cruise directors telling a few jokes at some shows and what not. Am I missing something they have to offer? I've only cruised twice both with NCL so I still am rather new.

Having spent the last two weeks on the EPIC, I would describe the role of the Cruise Director (in this case a fellow Englishman called Paul Scally) as being the link between the ship and the guests. That is not to say that the officers are unapproachable - to a man they are all extremely friendly. But the CD is the person who introduces most of the entertainment, who broadcasts daily across the ship's radio, presents the TV show.....just generally acts as the frontman. Does that make sense ?

As to your other questions regarding ship rotation, dailies etc, I'll have to leave that to someone else.....sorry !

The cruise director is responsible for all of the entertainment and activities on the ship. The Freestyle Daily is put together by the CD's staff. I am not sure of their rotation but we had the same CD on the Sky two years in a row (Matt Baker, now on the Dawn). Each CD has his or her own style which may add to a passenger's enjoyment of the cruise, detract from a passenger's enjoyment of the cruise or have no impact on the passenger's enjoyment of the cruise depending on each passenger's individual taste.

Each CD has his or her own style which may add to a passenger's enjoyment of the cruise, detract from a passenger's enjoyment of the cruise or have no impact on the passenger's enjoyment of the cruise depending on each passenger's individual taste.

well put:)

you may see your CD everywhere or just at the shows or hear them over the loud speaker...

i prefer a CD that is OUT THERE and one that is personable...

the BEST for me so far Pedro Sera (not sure of the spelling) on the SUN

The Cruise Director is responsible for many things. The position is equivalent to being one of the ship's officers. The CD is responsible for everything that can be considered activities on the cruise. This would include things like bingo, trivia, sport tournaments, pub crawls, White Hot Party, library upkeep and inventory, karaoke, and movies, The CD is in charge of the kid's club and all of the entertainers, musicians and media crew members. The CD has to have the Freestyle Daily published every day. If you have ever attended a religious service on the ship the CD was responsible for that taking place.

The position is much more than making announcements and introducing or hosting some of the shows or parties. The cruise director can make a difference on a ship because the performance of any department can often be directly attributed to who is in charge.

The rotation for CD is usually four months.

Archived