St. Kitts - Nevis

sprinkles

Hi All,

Sorry to be posting here, but I'm not getting any answers on the St. Kitts forum and I know personally I don't read the ports of call boards that I "have" been to - only the ones I am "going" to. But I do read this forum almost daily.

SO I am hoping that someone on here may be knowledgable about going over to St. Kitts on your own. Yes, I have posted on the St. Kitts forum, 37 people have read it, but no answers. Plus I have SEARCHED enslessly, but the information is OLD or non-existent.

I'm fine with the ferry schedules and everything - What I am looking for is:

How much is a taxi from the ferry dock on Nevis to Pinney's beach? I've read old stuff that says $12.00 to $15.00pp does that sound right? Do the taxis hang out at the beach to come back or should we arrange for the driver to come back to get us?

Is there a public bus system on Nevis?

What would be a good beach bar to go to that rents loung chairs and stuff, but hopefully is not a place where the ship tours come to and invade?

Is it worth bringing snorkel gear to Pinney's Beach?

Thanks all, any information about Nevis on your own would be greatly appreciated. Leaving for the Emerald in a few days and it has been mostly doing a different itinerary, so I'm just not finding alot out there.

Happy Sailing!

Tammy

We did part of this last year when we were on the Ruby (didn't do Pinney's Beach, went to Oualie Beach intead).

First, throw out the ferry schedules you may have printed from online. They are worthless. Also disregard the stated ferry prices. It's the islands, mon. We learned this the hard way.

Head over to the ferry terminal as soon as you can in the morning (it's to the left of where the cruise ships dock. There will be lots of locals there too, to advise you. There is a booth at the ferry terminal that appears to be staffed by someone from each of the various ferry companies, only just before that company's ferry is due to leave, to buy tickets. You can use $US just fine. However, we had to wait for about an hour or so until a ferry came in (from Montserrat) that was going next to Nevis. And we also received assurance that that ferry was going to return from Nevis later in the afternoon. We bought the round trip ticket as a way of securing seats on the return ferry.

We were told that one of the ferry companyies wasn't running for a few weeks because the operator had had surgery. That's the kind of operations these are.

The ferry ride down the southern coast of St. Kitts and the northern coast of Nevis is worth the price of the ticket alone. Once on Nevis, we shopped a little at the ferry terminal area and then hired a taxi. Nevis is as laid back a place as you can imagine. I don't think there is any kind of local bus (I didn't even see local mini-vans). Our taxi driver took us to his neighborhood to show us how the locals live. We also saw the first church on the island (gorgeous views), the Four Seasons golf course and Oualie Beach. But the best parts of the day were the ferry ride itself and the political debate that our taxi driver was fully engrossed in (on his car radio). Seems there is quite a rivalry between St. Kitts and Nevis, with the latter always feeling left out of politics. The debate was lively and interesting to listen to.

It is a fun day, and we enjoyed the adventure of it much more than taking a ship's tour to Nevis.

Hi there,

Have you gone on the following website for St. Kitts/Nevis:

myislands.myeyez.net If you go onto that web site you can post your questions and they will be answered. We were in St. Kitts in 2006. You can take a ferry over to Nevis but as a previous poster said, the ferry schedules can be a little iffy. There is no bus service in St. Kitts or Nevis...both are very small islands. I don't know what a taxi would cost but you can make arrangements to have them take you and pick you up for 1 price and if I remember correctly, you don't pay until they pick you back up. Very reliable and they do come back. We did this a couple of times on St. Kitts. There are lots of lovely beaches on St. Kitts also so you really don't have to go to Nevis if you don't have a lot of time. A great place to hang out is Mr. X's Shiggaty Shack and it is a really nice beach area and you can rent lounge chairs and umbrellas. So please try that website and see if you can't get answers to your other questions.

Archived