Why do we even stop in Belize??

joealan

:cool: We will be in Belize on the Spirit in 2 weeks. We will go into Port but not beyond the Fort walls. We did a walking tour last year, I felt like I was shopping In East St Louis. Nothing happened, but a lot of street vendors looked and acted like addicts (Charleen Sheen). I'm not one to be scared easily, but it was a feeling of unsafe. If I owned a ship line, I think any other Port would be better than Belize. My Opinion only:mad:

:cool: We will be in Belize on the Spirit in 2 weeks. We will go into Port but not beyond the Fort walls. We did a walking tour last year, I felt like I was shopping In East St Louis. Nothing happened, but a lot of street vendors looked and acted like addicts (Charleen Sheen). I'm not one to be scared easily, but it was a feeling of unsafe. If I owned a ship line, I think any other Port would be better than Belize. My Opinion only:mad:

We only bother to get off the ship and endure the tender so my dw can get some things at the pharmacy and then it's back on the boat.

A lot of folks do enjoy the cave tubing and zip lines which I would love to do but the wife has "issues" with heights and enclosed places:(

So I can see where it is a great stop for some folks.

Why do we even stop in Belize??

Because Belize has one of the best coral reefs in the world,

and a world class rain-forest to explore. One word- Adventure!

Give me more adventure ports like Bonaire, Belize, Roatan, Dominica, and we

couldn't be happier :D We cruise to see the things we can't see at home.

5RubyPrincess255.jpg

We've been to Belize twice and I would gladly go back again. We took a snorkeling tour the first time and had a wonderful time. The second time we took an independent tour to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai. So worthwhile. I have to agree that walking around outside the port area is not for the faint of heart, but you don't have to be into extreme sports to enjoy Belize. Our tour to Lamanai was not very strenuous, and I've heard wonderful things about the tour that stops at the zoo as well.

We have been to Belize many times and I can see both sides of the coin. We are in our early 40's and when we have been there without our children or my husband's parents, it was fine. We did cave tubing and the ruins another time. They were both very interesting (but a long way out). On the other hand, if you have people with almost any type of limitation (my sister went once and she has back issues), they are severely limited on what they can do. One reason is because of the bumpy, 20 min. tender ride and the other is because most activities that are worth doing require you be in decent shape without issues like my sister. Also, in regards to kids - we have children now ages 10 - 16 and they have been to Belize. It is definitely not their favorite because of the long distances you need to travel to get anywhere worth doing (they did love cave tubing but I have to admit that the ride there in an old van with questionable seat belts on a two lane highway with oncoming traffic and potholes, made me very uncomfortable.)

Personally, we try to avoid any cruise that goes to Belize. In regards to other stops like the ones mentioned in the above post, say like Roatan and Guatamala, we absolutely loved. They are third world countries (so that is not why we don't love Belize) but are just very different to us for many reasons. Also, you can easily explore these ports with limitations and with kids (also, no tender ride).

I guess what it boils down to is that Belize is a place that appeals to a more limited group of people compared to other ports so knowing that in advance can help with expectations.

The question shouldn't be "why do ships go to Belize?," the question should be "Why don't people go out and see the country instead on hanging around the port area?." Belize is fantastic, but Belize City is not. Don't judge Belize on the port area just like you shouldn't judge the USA on the dock area in Detroit.

Love the pic Inital D:)

I'm sure if th eport stop was Pacencia, all this negativity would disappear.

But I would hazard to guess that even if Ambergris Caye or Cay Caulker were closer you'd still have peeps complaining because no Jimmy Buffets or Mr. Rana's (google that) are around.

The question shouldn't be "why do ships go to Belize?," the question should be "Why don't people go out and see the country instead on hanging around the port area?." Belize is fantastic, but Belize City is not. Don't judge Belize on the port area just like you shouldn't judge the USA on the dock area in Detroit.

A little off topic, but I live next door to Detroit and I happen to think the immediate downtown core is fantastic. Beautiful architecture, great restaurants, loads to do and see.

I also love Belize and didn't feel unsafe walking around in the area outside of the 'fort'. I didn't notice anybody who looked like a drug addict, although we were offered weed a couple times :p That wasn't exactly scary though.

Love the pic Inital D:)

I'm sure if th eport stop was Pacencia, all this negativity would disappear.

But I would hazard to guess that even if Ambergris Caye or Cay Caulker were closer you'd still have peeps complaining because no Jimmy Buffets or Mr. Rana's (google that) are around.

I see about one in 1,000 visitors that visit San Pedro that say they wont be back. Most land visitors but we get a handful of cruise passengers flying over for the day.

two years ago the Airline I work for handled 800 passengers thru the country on a busy day. This past Saturday we moved 1,600 passengers. traffic doubled in two years

The secret is out....

Too Bad our day at Caye Cauker did not look like the previous photo.

We were there New Years Eve 2004. It was raining and cold. Everything was closed.

Really wish we had sun -- I know we would have had a great time on the fast boat ride excursion we booked instead of ducking under a towel behind the person in front of you so the rain did not hurt your face as it hit.

We will be in Belize Feb 2012. We have not been back to Belize since 2004 -- I am looking forward to seeing how the port has grown up. Prior to that we were on the mainland 2002 we did the ruins tour -- awesome !

I hated Belize! On my first cruise when I was 20 my friends and I stopped there.

We took a taxi and the guy stopped at all these differnt places on our way to the "beach". I mean he stopped at his friends house, a barber shop, etc and just kept making excuses of why he needed to go their.

Than he tells us he used to live in Vegas and got deported because he got in trouble with the law:eek:

The "beach" he took us too was a river in the middle of the country in some guys back yards. They kept trying to sell us pot.

So than he wouldnt bring us back to the ship unless we paid him $100 more dollars.

Fortunatly we made it back safe, LESSON LEARNED!!

I hated Belize! On my first cruise when I was 20 my friends and I stopped there.

We took a taxi and the guy stopped at all these differnt places on our way to the "beach". I mean he stopped at his friends house, a barber shop, etc and just kept making excuses of why he needed to go their.

Than he tells us he used to live in Vegas and got deported because he got in trouble with the law:eek:

The "beach" he took us too was a river in the middle of the country in some guys back yards. They kept trying to sell us pot.

So than he wouldnt bring us back to the ship unless we paid him $100 more dollars.

Fortunatly we made it back safe, LESSON LEARNED!!

This sounds exactly like an experience I had back in the 80's with Jamaica. Only we did make it to the "beach" only to find out our hour long $80 drive was actually right around the corner from the cruise ship. We walked back needless to say. (It got a whole lot worse along the way there. I won't go into details) :eek:

I have to been to Belize twice. The first time, I absolutely hated it... until I got past all of the shops and commercial crap when you first get off the tenders and out the gates. I then discovered a world of culture, history, food and nature which was exceptional.

The tender ride is long but it is worth it. Maybe my favorite port in the Caribbean.

Book a water taxi or snorkeling excursion to Cay Caulker:

4725110002_cae32aec31.jpg

I have been in Caye Caulker many times. This looks like a marketing photo and not the reality of the island.

In order to enjoy Belize you need to book a tour - either with the ship or a private operator. You will never see the countryside, snorkle the reefs, climb the ruins etc. unless you get off the pier.

I have been in Caye Caulker many times. This looks like a marketing photo and not the reality of the island.

I have to agree. We have been to Caye Caulker too and went all over the island. I had to really look at this picture to make sure it was Caye Caulker. I can't remember anything looking like this.

I have to agree. We have been to Caye Caulker too and went all over the island. I had to really look at this picture to make sure it was Caye Caulker. I can't remember anything looking like this.

I agree about the picture.

Caye Caulker is one of my favorite places.

If you google Caye Caulker you will find many real pictures..Here is one at the Split, AKA the Lazy Lizard.

1.1227388440.the-splitx-caye-caulker.jpg

Love Jamaica as well, but we have always had a plan or booked a tour here....definitely not the place to wander aimlessly. And yes some cab drivers will try to take advantage of the tourists. My parents had the same thing happen when they had one take them to Margaritaville in Montego Bay and a store to buy a shirt; I think that set them back about $80 as well.

This sounds exactly like an experience I had back in the 80's with Jamaica. Only we did make it to the "beach" only to find out our hour long $80 drive was actually right around the corner from the cruise ship. We walked back needless to say. (It got a whole lot worse along the way there. I won't go into details) :eek:

GLAD we stopped in Belize so we could do the Altun Ha Ruins and Lamani Ruins and hubby could go cave tubin...

you will find some that like Belize and others that dont, just like all ports or places visited but i do believe the majority LIKED--most going ashore on both of our stops there!!--but i do AGREE when others say book an EXCURSION--get away from the port area...get out there and SEE it!!!

Archived