Hold on Debit Cards/ Cash Holds

amijt

I have read many posts regarding this but never are the same, Im leaving Thursday on the DAwn for a 9 night, Soemone that has used their debit card on NCL please tell me how much $ they hold per person. I have heard $100 pp per day Holymoley thats $1800.!!! I do not plan on spending even close to that on there! I talked to my back and they said they only hold for 3 days. Should I do cash for my account? If I do can I put like $500.00 on it and when its gone I cant spend anymore? Please help leaving soon, not sure what to do!!!

Thanks

My first NCL cruise was on the Dawn & I put my debit card down. Between buying drinks & art & excursions & tipping, my account came to about $1,800. When I came home I had a notice of being overdrawn which was worrying as I had $3,000 in the account. They charged my account in full for my onboard spending and put an additional $1,500 on hold which took almost a week to clear. :mad:

Yes, you can put $500 on your account, and when it is used up, the spending privileges will be suspended until you go put more money on your account.

Remember, everything on board gets charged to you sea pass card. Specialty restaurants, spa, shops, drinks, photographs, excursions, and the hotel service charge. It's quite easy to add up quickly.

We were doing pretty good on our 12 night New England/Canada cruise at maybe $400, until the last night of the cruise, the jewelry store had a blow out sale, and we each made about a $200 purchase. So our final bill ended up being around $800.

Have a great cruise!

Not sure what the initial hold is, but evidently on our last cruise they put a hold amount equal to what our onboard account was on the next to last day, then after we disembarked they put through a charge for the total. It took about 48 hours for the hold to release. They have signs at the check-in counters (at least in Miami) that warn passengers that holds can take up to 30 days to be released by the bank.

At this point, either I'll use a credit card, or if that isn't possible, I'll just do a cash deposit without getting my debit card involved at all. It's just not worth the inevitable hassle, IMO.

You could always establish your shipboard account using your cc and then, near the end of the cruise, go to the reception desk and pay down all of your account with cash. Whatever you charge from that point on will go against your cc but it should be nominal.

Could I get clarification?

Does the cruise line put a hold of $X on your credit card against which expenses are charged? If yes, who determines the amount of $X? (i.e., a per day charge determined by the cruise line, or a charge determined by the card holder)?

OR

Does the card holder authorize a charge of $X immediately on the credit card, against which expenses are charged?

The difference is a "hold" vs an immediate charge.

Thanks,

Archived