Why the Belize complaints?

Blitzburggirl

I went to Belize a couple years ago. I rode in a hot stuffy van out to the ruins. I bounced along the huge gaping potholes. I got back from the ruins, and paid a local 20 bucks to walk me around the city, specifically asked for a post office, and also stopped in a convenience store. I bought a handful of sodas and passed them out to kids along the remainder of my walk. They smiled and said thank you! One of them gave my pre teen daughter a trinket bracelet she was wearing :) We were a point of interest, but not harassed. I see alot of comparisons with Jamaica. We went to Jamaica as well on that cruise. OMG!!!!!! The phallic "art" was enough to ruin my experience with my children at ANY shopping opportunity. We quit getting off the van at those places. Then we went to the beach, and the music was just as suggestive (suggestive is not the right word, there was no innuendo, it was out right, blatant, and not appropriate for families.) We did not encounter any of that in Belize.

I fell on the uneven cement sidewalk and skinned my knee, and then I headed back to the ship. All in all, it was an incredible day!!!

Guys, it's a 3rd world country, poor as crap!!!!!!!!! But they have ruins, sea life, and beautiful beaches that they share with us (for a price.) I just hit a pothole in Chapel Hill, NC this morning. In an elite, affluent town, in the US, that isn't acceptable. But it's not going to prompt me to say that Chapel Hill is a bad place to visit :)

I'm looking forward to stopping there next week :)

Why the complaints ?

Because Americans think everywhere should look like DisneyWorld...... :(

And.....You hit the nail on the head....... many of the Caribbean countries are 3rd world and poor as crap. Yet the people are proud, friendly and just want the same things we do...... to make a living and be happy.

So many tourists get on big buses and ride out to "whereever", walk around a bit and then ride back. Not really a real taste.

Even when on an organized tour, I try to talk with the guides, get to know them etc..... When shopping in markets I engage the sales people....ask questions and SMILE for Pete's sake.

I truly believe that many people are intimidated or just plain afraid to interact with the locals. If you treat them with respect and dignity you will find them truly glad you are there. At least that is my findings.

Have been to Belize twice now. Cavetubing the first trip and a wonderful snorkle trip this last visit. Had a fantastic time both visits !

I've been to Belize twice and am going again in February.

I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as some people decribe it. It was no worse than any other island I have been to.

I'm sure I'll be flamed for this but during my 2 tours nothing seemed any more scarey or unsafe than when I went to Jamaica, NYC, Detroit, Moscow, Bejing or any other island or large city.

I'm all for learning about other countries and cultures and teaching my son to enjoy that as well... maybe that's just my perception:confused:

My husband does enjoy scuba diving there as well....

Archived