Istanbul Visas: BOO!!!! Oceania!

aaannnthony

We're booked on the 4/1/05 Insignia, Barcelona to Istanbul, stopping at Kusadasi, Turkey. Oceania informed us about two weeks ago that we need visas for Turkey, cost of $49.99pp. Okay, do it! Too bad I didn't do more research!

Today, we received our visas, sticker only, no names, nothing, with cost noted upon sticker at 20USD. Bottom line, a 150% mark-up for processing!

All that was done by "O" was to supply a list of participating passengers for Turkish approval. Absolutely pitiful!

Mr. FDR......are you reading this post!

Aaanthony-

We're writing this, not to rub salt in your wounds, but to give others more information.

We work in Manhattan, so, we decided to pop over to the Turkish Consulate to see what the deal was regarding Visas.

After getting nowhere with the first few functionaries (poor English/bad attitudes), we actually found ourselves face to face with the Ambassador!

He was ADAMANT that the Visas could (and should) be purchased in Turkey.

Strangely, they still insist on 20 American Dollars in Cash (even over there), but he claimes that it's "as easy as buying a beer".

Just to be on the safe side, we asked our Turkish Guide what his other clients are doing, and, he reassured us that the Visas are easy to get whan you leave the ship.

Note to Digby: For some reason, Turkey wants you to get your Visa at your Last point of entry into the country (not your first), so, we won't need one for Ephesus either.

Best-

Jim & Stan

On the July 22 Black Sea cruise-Athens to Athens, toward the end of the cruise we go to Istanbul before we go to Dikili, Turkey the following day. Does this mean that we don't need a visa for Istanbul but we do need one for Dikili? Or since we are on the ship and continuing on to Greece...maybe we still don't need a turkish visa??? Very confusing!

We're booked on the 4/1/05 Insignia, Barcelona to Istanbul, stopping at Kusadasi, Turkey. Oceania informed us about two weeks ago that we need visas for Turkey, cost of $49.99pp. Okay, do it! Too bad I didn't do more research!

Today, we received our visas, sticker only, no names, nothing, with cost noted upon sticker at 20USD. Bottom line, a 150% mark-up for processing!

All that was done by "O" was to supply a list of participating passengers for Turkish approval. Absolutely pitiful!

Thank you for posting this message! Only upon reading it did I realize that I needed a visa for Turkey. Obviously I didn't do my homework, but I am still annoyed that neither my travel agent nor Oceania provided the reminder earlier. (I am sailing on April 1).

According to the small (no, tiny) print in the Oceania brochure back pages, they won't let you on the ship without proper documentation. Being a coward, I am buying my visa from the ship at $50.00 per. just to be safe.

Anyway. Thanks again.

JFC

Note to Digby: For some reason, Turkey wants you to get your Visa at your Last point of entry into the country (not your first), so, we won't need one for Ephesus either.

That was our first and last stop in Turkey, and no Visa was required in May '04, but rules do change.

:eek:

As Far as I understand it, you only need a visa in Turkey if you are (as we are) staying in the country after Insignia departs.

Otherwise, you're covered by that "blanket Visa" thing that the ship gets when they pay the port fees.

We cleared the "buying your visa dockside in Turkey" with Oceania back when they notified our travel agent about the fifty dollar fee (almost a month ago).

We were a little turned off (as was Aaanthony) by the 150% markup......what do they think that this is? A Turkish Rug?

LOL-

Enjoy your day-

Jim

Checking at Zeiers website ( they are a visa /passport agency) it states you DO need a visa for Turkey . I would only go by what is stated by US govt. not from folks who were on a cruise to Turkey such and such a time ago. Heck, when we were there last we didn't need visas at all..but not the case today.

As far as the ship cost at $49 p/p.. Zeier charges that plus shipping fee of $15 for 2 dayrush mail and $17 ( that's each persons visa) for standard mail.. so I think just the fact that Oceania saved you the bother ( and the shipping cost is pretty good). Certainly you may be able to run all over Turkey to get one for the $20.00-but who wants to deal with that? Nice to have it and not have to worry about it.

That to me is worth the extra cost.

Just my humble opinion ;-)

here's Z's website if you need other info.. ( by the way they actually are a terrific source for getting visas). One more thing, I have to think that it is nice for Oceania to secure the visa for you.. we had to handle getting our own -used Z - and although it wasn't that big of a deal the ship doing it for you certainly is a time saver..so wouldn't blast them for their assistance.

http://www.zvs.com/

Other threads here have advised that you do need a visa if you are coming into the country by air, prior to the cruise, but they are easy to buy for $20 at the airport, near customs. Myself, after a 15 hour trip, I will gladly pay the extra 30$ to avoid having to find the office, then stand in another line. On the other hand, that is 3 Oceania martini's....

Other threads here have advised that you do need a visa if you are coming into the country by air, prior to the cruise, but they are easy to buy for $20 at the airport, near customs. Myself, after a 15 hour trip, I will gladly pay the extra 30$ to avoid having to find the office, then stand in another line. On the other hand, that is 3 Oceania martini's....

Tooooooooooooooo funny!

Archived