Going down 5 days early. What can you do in Keys?

If you have time and transportation, there is a lot more to do in the Keys than Key West. I love Isla Morada for it's laid back, not so crowded atomosphere, and there are some fantastic B&Bs in the Keys, too. One in particular is on Big Pine Key (can't think of the name, though) and it's right on the water. The hosts are exceptional, there are hammocks and bicycles, the food is great, and you can wake up to the ocean on one side of you and Key deer on the other.

That said, I do love Key West.

5 days in the keys. Wow, lucky you. Key West is overrated unless all you want to do is drink. There is a lot to see there though. If you do go, check out the lighthouse, Hemingway house, and the cemetary. Stay in the middle keys like Islamorada or Marathon or even Key Largo and just do a day trip to key west. We like the Yellowtail Inn in Marathon. We are snorkel fanatics and have cruised east and west Caribbean and have not seen snorkelling as good as in the keys. If you are a snorkeller or diver, it is not to be missed. Check out John Pennekamp Park in Key Largo or Sombrero reef in Marathon. Also, Bahia Honda State Park is rated as one of the best beaches in the U.S.A. The Seven Mile Grill in Marathon has the best grouper sandwich and Key Lime pie you will ever taste. The pie has been voted locals favorite several years in a row. We bought a pie a day for 5 days, and bought one to bring home with us. Unbelieveable.

Not to mention the drive itself. We stayed at the Holiday Inn just as you get onto Key West, and the Hampton Inn (post cruise, post honeymoon). Place was a little dead to go to after a cruise suffering PCD. But it was April.

Off shore snorkeling down there is the BEST.

I forgot about Bahia Honda. Haven't stopped there in years. Back when the old tressle was attached to the key, and you could walk onto it an jump into the water. Last I had seen, they removed the first section. Is the old roadway still intact?

While in Key West, you just have to take the WWII PT boat tour! We did it in October and it was an absolute blast, especially if you are a history buff! This is the ONLY operational PT boat in the world! The 1-hr tour takes you around Key West, past Mallory Square and the ship docks. If you do the sunset tour, you will see the most beautiful sunset you'll ever see! The captain will even let you drive the boat if you'd like. The cost of this tour is around $30 per couple. It's well worth it!!

And while in Key West, be sure to stop in at "Irish Kevin's Pub" on Duval Street. Make sure you stop in and say "Hi" to Matt Avery, a performer there and a dear friend of ours! Tell him that Bill & Leila said "hi" and he might just buy you a round!

:cool: Bill

we stayed in Marathon, but did things all over the keys.

I second going on the fishing charter in Islamorada. It's SUPER reasonable...like $25-$30 pp for half a day, including tackle and equipment, plus you get to keep whatever you catch and they'll clean them for like $1/fish (and all the local restaurants down there will cook whatever you bring in, for a fee, ofcourse). I forget the name of the one we went on, but my dad was just down there last month and went on the same one. I can get the name for you if you want.

we also did "trainer for a day" at Theater of the Sea in Islamorada. that was cool, but I think they've since discontinued that particular program, although they do dolphin and sea lion encounters. there's also the Dolphin Research Center on Islamorada.

Key West we did the Conch Train tour, the "ghost tour" (at night, REALLY cool), hit the Key West aquarium (not huge, but still fun). Hit Margaritaville (for some "couch potatoes"/chili cheese fries that are to DIE for). and the "Sunset Celebrations" on Mallory Square are not to be missed. I think there was an open-air restaurant right on Mallory Square where we got 2 pounds of peel & eat shrimp, 2 HUGE plates of fries and 2 drinks for like $15. :)

my favorite part of being in the Keys is eating and drinking, LOL. they have some super fun places and super GOOD eats and drinks!

I'm so jealous. have fun.

Archived