I could kick myself... but now what?

yayvacation!

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this flight - I found a friday morning leaving Boston with a return on Saturday (red eye) landing in Bos around 8am

I don't think that's horrible seeing as it's a direct flight and we have sunday to recover :)

Thoughts on that plan? Or red-eye flights in general I've never taken one before.

If you're talking about flying into Seattle on the day your cruise departs, then no, no, a thousand times no. Fly in the 11th, stay in a hotel, and relax.

Red-eyes are pretty awful, but I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to avoid one. And you're on your way back, so you can just sleep it off at home.

What is the price difference on the Red Eye vs. the Jet Blu flight? If it is less than $100 per/person different, I personally would rather have good flight times. If over $100 per/person then maybe I could see going for the Red Eye to save $$$.

Usually you don't see any kind of price drops until 2-4 months ahead. We were living in Houston one year and needed to fly from Houston to Vancouver. I bid 250.00 on Priceline and got great flights and times. I checked on the airlines website and those same flights were 750.00 PP. When you do priceline, always fly in the day before and the day after. It's true that air prices are a little scary but remember the demand isn't quite what it was either so I wouldn't be hasty.

What is the price difference on the Red Eye vs. the Jet Blu flight? If it is less than $100 per/person different, I personally would rather have good flight times. If over $100 per/person then maybe I could see going for the Red Eye to save $$$.

Hey Gonzo! This one is the jetblue flight it leaves friday am at 7:41 lands in Seattle at 11ish; then the return is leaving Seattle at 11:20pm and landing in Boston at 8am. Total price 611.00 each.

If we went in Thursday night it would be 537, but we land around 11pm, then paying for a hotel room eats the cost of the savings on the flight, so that was my thought process behind leaving on friday morning.

Hey Gonzo! This one is the jetblue flight it leaves friday am at 7:41 lands in Seattle at 11ish; then the return is leaving Seattle at 11:20pm and landing in Boston at 8am. Total price 611.00 each.

If we went in Thursday night it would be 537, but we land around 11pm, then paying for a hotel room eats the cost of the savings on the flight, so that was my thought process behind leaving on friday morning.

Almost $200 savings by taking the Thursday night flight. AND you almost GUARANTEE that you make the cruise. Priceline (BIDDING)/Hotwire a hotel in Seattle-should be able to get one for $100 or less.

What happens if the flight on Friday morning is delayed or canceled??? You have to be at the ship NO LATER than 2PM for check in or you won't board (Homeland Security rules). What happens if your luggage is not there? What happens if your plane lands at 1PM instead of 11ish? You MAY NOT make your cruise.

I have to agree with that 100%. You just never know about the weather in Seattle. We once had to circle for quite awhile. We flew nonstop Phoenix-Seattle on the day of the cruise and we'll never do it again. Luckily there were no delays (BOS is probably more prone to delays than PHX), but it was soooo stressful. And if there are delays and heaven forbid you miss the ship, it's super expensive to fly to southeast Alaska even with advance notice.

GOT EM!

So - I know I know you should always arrive the day before, but I figured it's summer - low chance of weather delay... then I changed my mind :D

So I purchased:

Continental (not my favorite)

Out of PVD leaving Thursday night at 5:12 landing in SEA at 10:45pm

Leaving SEA saturday at 12pm landing 10:40 in PVD

Total price for 2 - $1121. (518 each plus taxes)

I'm happy and feel relieved!!!! Thanks for all your help :D:)

but I figured it's summer - low chance of weather delay... then I changed my mind :D

Very smart! So many people only think of winter/snow/ice when they think "weather delays." They don't realize that summer thunderstorms can also wreak havoc with airline schedules.

Archived