Cruising Viking During Christmas Holidays

sk8teacher

Looking at their website, they do not have specific Christmas Market cruises in 2012 as some other lines do. They do however, have cruises during that time period.

We are thinking about their Danube Waltz 8 day cruise from Passau to Budapest Dec 1 2012. Will their typical walking tours include the Bazaar at the various ports?

I have sent the an email but who knows when I will get a reply from them so if anyone has done one of these cruises with them can provide any information we would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Hi sk8teacher, here is a link for Viking giving some holiday cruise info,

it looks like it's from 2009 but does give a little insight. If you don't receive an email from Viking why not give them a call and pose your questions?

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/media/christmas2009.aspx

We are booked with Viking for the Imperial Jewels of China on May 5 and just booked the Rhine river cruise to visit the Christmas markets Dec. 4. I have done a Danube Christmas market cruise with another line, it was from Vienna to Passau and it was a great time.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Susan

• 5 weeks later...
We are booked with Viking for the Imperial Jewels of China on May 5 and just booked the Rhine river cruise to visit the Christmas markets Dec. 4. I have done a Danube Christmas market cruise with another line, it was from Vienna to Passau and it was a great time.

Susan

Hi Susan - I, too, am on the Dec. 4th Viking Christmas Market and started a Roll Call. On the Viking Pride, correct?

Robin

Hi Robin:

We're doing the Rhine Getaway, 12.4, Viking Helvetia - departing Basel and ending in Amsterdam. Which Christmas market cruise are you taking? Have you traveled with Viking before?

Susan

Hi Robin:

We're doing the Rhine Getaway, 12.4, Viking Helvetia - departing Basel and ending in Amsterdam. Which Christmas market cruise are you taking? Have you traveled with Viking before?

Susan

Hi Susan - My first river cruise ever, you? We are flying into Munich and transfering to Passau and then travel to Budapest. Oh well, it would've been nice to already know someone.

Just for information, I talked with Viking, and their Danube Waltz cruise, Dec 2012 will include the Christmas Markets in the various towns. I am now a very happy camper :D. And it will be on the Njord, one of their new ships :D:D.

As you can see below, we have already booked three upcoming cruises with Viking, and are looking forward to all of them and seeing areas of Europe that we have not been to yet. Now, if they would only start a cruise in Portugal :p . . . .

Hi Robin:

It would have been nice to "know" someone beforehand but believe me, you'll meet lots of nice people on your cruise. That's one of the things I love about the smaller river ships, you're a tighter knit group....if you choose to be. We have met really nice people in our travels and have kept in contact with several of them.

Have a wonderful time, it'll be great.

sk8teacher, great that you have booked for 2012, if you have any interest in looking to other river cruise lines, Uniworld has a river cruise in Portugal, just an fyi.

Susan

Bill, AMA also does trips to Portugal. We did that trip in Sept of 2008. It was a wonderful trip. We did the precruise in Lisbon, went to Porto to board the boat, cruised the Douro, traveling as far as Salamanco, Spain, turned around and came back to Porto. We stayed a couple extra days in Porto.

Sharon

Archived