Carnival Pride vs. Royal Enchantment

sapperson

I have my family of four and my sister's family of 3 planning a cruise in Late July or Early August. I can book a bigger stateroom for a 7 night itinerary on Carnival as opposed to a 5 night itinerary to Bermuda in a smaller room with Royal. Why is Royal charging so much more per night that Carnival? My wife and I have been very loyal to Royal, having gone on 4 an 5 cruises with them, respectively. We really do love Royal, but in this down economy, we are price shopping more than usual. Can anyone comment about the differences between the two? Is there any reason NOT to give Carnival a chance in this scenario?

Thanks, Critics!

Chuck

I also agree with you. I was looking at freedom of the seas would cost us 3100 for balcony and 2100 on carnival dream. SO we are more than likely going to book carnival. I say give carnival a shot. Hey you maybe surprised. I've cruised twice with royal and loved them. Never thought I'd cruise with anyone else but with economy the way it is I just can't see paying an extra 1,000 just to cruise on RCCL.

Loved our Pride cruise but it was to Bahamas not Bermuda. Great trip but have heard you can get

a rowdy crowd in the summer on the Pride, Don't know if thats just Carnival bashing.

My question is on 5 dayer, how long are you in Bermuda? 7 days instead of 5 in a bigger cabin?

Easy decision for me.

Why is Royal charging so much more per night that Carnival? Can anyone comment about the differences between the two? Is there any reason NOT to give Carnival a chance in this scenario?

Thanks, Critics!

Chuck

• Supply and Demand. If RCCL is charging those prices, is because people are willing to pay that much. There's enough demand to justify it.
  • Bermuda is a MUCH better destination than Freeport (ugh!) and Port Canaveral (double ugh!).
  • RCCL offers only a handful of these 5 night itineraries (they alternate with 9 night itineraries to other destinations), while Carnival sails weekly to the Bahamas. Less sailings to Bermuda = They can charge more.

Carnival Pride and Enchantment of the Seas are similar in size and ammenities. I would take the Carnival Pride, keeping in mind that the destinations are not as stellar.

Carnival's Spirit class (which the Pride is part of), is one of Carnival's most popular. Good size, better space to passenger ratio, 80% of outdoor cabins with balconies, a bit more upscale than other ships in the Carnival fleet. I don't think you'll go wrong with it.

I am going to be as honest as I can be. Let me first say that I prefer a Carnival cruise over a Royal Carib. I cruised my first time (honeymoon in 1999) on Carnival Fantasy and my second time on RC Enchantment of the Seas. I am booked to cruise again on Carnival in May on the Pride. Let me also say that I think much of this is simply a matter of preference or opinion.

The decor on Carnival is much louder, elaborate and vegas style. Much the party type of atmosphere where Enchantment is much more turned down. Elegant but plain.

The cabins on Carnival I found to be larger than RC. Both times traveled in Oceanview Rooms. Cant wait to go on next cruise-balcony room

The entertainment was probably equivalant- (My opinion)

The food is what really did it for me. On Carnival I had the opportunity to try many different things I wouldnt make at home. Escargot, Duck, Lamb, different types of fish. The food was excellent. Of course I got to eat the traditional dishes as well, filet, lobster, prime rib. On RC there was nothing that interested me. It was all food that I would make at home. Fine dining is what interests me most, coupled with a good show. Like I said entertainment, in my opinion, was equal but hands down - Carnival had the better food.

Keep in mind that sometimes just the difference in ship and not necessarily cruise lines can make a difference. For instance the pool was a bit crowded on the Fantasy (only 1 pool) I suspect I shouldnt have that problem on the Pride (4 pools)

Have a great time, whatever you choose.:)

Don't know if you would need, but Camp Carnival for kids on Pride is widely enjoyed.

We've been on Spirit Class ships 4 times (5th coming up later this year), and think they're a great value for the buck. The Spirit class ships are the best IMHO that Carnival has to offer. You feel comfortable with the space , layout and crews are tops !

The only thing WE wouldn't do is cruise July/August, because you never know how many unsupervised kids you'll run into ! Carnival is "family" oriented, meaning no shortage of kids in Summer or on school breaks.

Can't speak for Royal Enchantment in that regard.

One difference in price could be port charges (what the Cruise Line itself pays). Also the departing ports can make a difference.

Take some time and read the reviews on here. I found the last poster's comments about food interesting as most people seem to have the opposite opinion. Our last cruise was Celebrity Eclipse; great food, but we cruised in January and (at 57) I was one of the youngest ones onboard!

I'm pretty loyal to Royal, but I'm checking the Carnival boards as we may do a short Glory cruise from NYC (Royal has nothing similar available). From what I've gathered from reading these boards, my opinion would be Royal has better food and overall service (especially better service); entertainment's about equal, Carnival is younger and more of a party ship.

Overall, I don't think you'd be wrong with either choice, but do take the time and research it more to see what fits best for your family.

One difference in price could be port charges (what the Cruise Line itself pays). Also the departing ports can make a difference.

Take some time and read the reviews on here. I found the last poster's comments about food interesting as most people seem to have the opposite opinion. Our last cruise was Celebrity Eclipse; great food, but we cruised in January and (at 57) I was one of the youngest ones onboard!

I'm pretty loyal to Royal, but I'm checking the Carnival boards as we may do a short Glory cruise from NYC (Royal has nothing similar available). From what I've gathered from reading these boards, my opinion would be Royal has better food and overall service (especially better service); entertainment's about equal, Carnival is younger and more of a party ship.

Overall, I don't think you'd be wrong with either choice, but do take the time and research it more to see what fits best for your family.

Wow. I see that you say that most people feel that RC has better food than Carnival. I havent cruised Carnival in over 10 years. Has the food changed? I thought it well exceeded the food on RC Enchantment on a cruise I took about 4 years ago. When I returned I mentioned this to a couple different travel agents that I know personally and they said they hear alot of the same from many travelers. I hope Im not disappointed. Did you read these reviews on the Royal board or Carnival board?

Archived