Upgrade to Guarantee?

newcruiser09

Hello

I've been trying to find out if it is possible to upgrade to a Guarantee room? My TA won't respond to me on the question and Celebrity won't talk to me because I booked through a TA, not sure if it's even worth it to push the issue at this point if I find out it's not possible. Our cruise is next weekend, so I'm running out of time - and I'm not sure how long they'll keep the guarantee rate out there.

Another question I have is - if you work with a TA, how long is it usually before they respond to your email? I asked this question to her Wed morning and have yet to receive a response, is this normal?

Thanks, I guess this is a lesson to not be more careful who I book through going forward. I just wish I knew if this was even possible so I could quit thinking about it and getting nervous that the option is going to be gone before I can get an answer.

If you're using an online TA, good luck. Those persons are infamous for not getting back to their clients. I have a regular brick and mortar TA and he gets back to me within minutes.

As for your guarantee, how can it be an upgrade? Unless you're booked in a low category cabin and want to guarantee a higher category. From my experience, they never allowed me to change at such a late date, telling my TA I could inquire at the time of check in.

I don't quite understand what you are wanting to do. A guarantee is for a specific category which can be any of the ones they offer. You can guarantee an inside room, or a oceanview room, or a balcony, etc. Don't know where you are presently booked. If you want to upgrade, you might try when you first board, but it's highly unlikely then.

In regards to your TA, there are good ones and some not so good ones. My guy, I've been using for the past 13 years, is a good one, but have dealt with the other kind years ago. Shop around until you find that good one.

It is an upgrade from a lower category to a higher category.

I've been inquiring about costs for an upgrade for a couple of weeks. She had been good about getting back to me with costs and said she would keep looking and let me know if they went down. Then I noticed this week that they added a guarantee rate for the category I want so I'm hopefull but not holding my breath.

If I read you correctly, if you book a cabin on lower deck with window, and a higher category becomes available, it is usually "guaranteed" which means you get this category, guaranteed, but don't find out your cabin number until later. This just happened to me. I was a cat 3, upgraded to "guaranteed" C3 for a very nominal rate, and found out cabin number within 3 days. Your travel agent, if good, will ALWAYS, get back to you in a timely manner. The only time this doesn't happen is if you are using an agent through the cruise line. They are not good about responding to calls or emails. That is why I stopped using them. Hopes this explains it!

Two years ago on our Constillation Baltic cruise, GTY balcony went on sale. We called out TA and were able to move from our balcony to a GTY balcony for $300 less. As soon as we agreed, we were moved to a CC1 cabin and still got the refund. It worked out wonderful for us. Good luck

We had the same experience as karenam (on the same ship, different cruise). We moved from a balcony to a suite GTY and got a $300 refund; this occurred before final payment. We were assigned to an accessible suite, which we didn't need, so I watched the website daily, and when another suite became available, I very quickly requested a change. Our TA was able to do this immediately. Keep your eye on the =X= website if you're not happy with your GTY assignment.

Bon voyage,

Betsy

I finally heard back, it can be done but ill have to pay the gratuities that was an incentive to book with the TA before. They make less commission so I dont get the same perks. She tried talking me out of upgrading from a cc to a suite but I wanted the upgrade. Now celebrity is having issues allowing it because they already paid the TA their commission. Have to wait til monday now to see if, there us a way to make it happen. If the upgrade us possible, I dont understand why I should be penalized for commission issues between celebrity and the ta,

I think you have legitimate grounds to question your TA.

I am not a TA but my TA is never paid her commission until after the cruise.

The gratuities for a true suite are generally greater than a CC or lower category cabin. I can understand the TA not covering the butler, but you have the right to request the original gratuity amount still be applied to your booking.

Your TA is showing signs of booking fatigue and I'd imagine you will find a new one after the cruise. It is not always easy to alter cabins so close to sailing so be a patient as possible.

I hope you find satisfaction and enjoy your cruise.

Archived