Beware of cruise insurance $$ non-refundable

whirlybird3

I booked a cruise online with Holland America embarking June 2012 and as always, play it safe by purchasing cruise insurance. Unfortunately, plans have changed & I had to cancel our cruise :( It was a surprise to me that I did not receive a full refund for this cruise that is over a year away as the cruise insurance is non-refundable. So, I am now out of $378.00! :mad: Ouch! :eek:

I understand, if the cruise was closer to the date... Unexpected that cruise insurance is non-refundable, period.

It was only in Sept/Oct of last year that HAL made it so you could purchase their insurance up until final payment - it used to be you had to get it when you put the deposit down.

Some private insurers will refund insurance before final, but never after.

However, HAL insurance is only good for cancellation purposes. I always recommend my clients get additional medical. $10,000 is paltry in the extreme.

I booked a cruise online with Holland America embarking June 2012 and as always, play it safe by purchasing cruise insurance. Unfortunately, plans have changed & I had to cancel our cruise :( It was a surprise to me that I did not receive a full refund for this cruise that is over a year away as the cruise insurance is non-refundable. So, I am now out of $378.00! :mad: Ouch! :eek:

I understand, if the cruise was closer to the date... Unexpected that cruise insurance is non-refundable, period.

Did you check if they would transfer your insurance to another future cruise? I know some of the travel insurance companies will let you do that.

However, HAL insurance is only good for cancellation purposes. I always recommend my clients get additional medical. $10,000 is paltry in the extreme.

So glad you mentioned this. $10,000 is nothing if you need to be medically evacuated to a hospital or need medical transport back home.

So glad you mentioned this. $10,000 is nothing if you need to be medically evacuated to a hospital or need medical transport back home.

They do have emergency evacuation included in their policy (you need at least $50,000 coverage for this), but people really need to be aware that $10,000 for emergency medical is not enough. :) I sell RBC insurance in Canada, and it has unlimited medical coverage (except for non-stable pre-existing conditions).

LOL...Come on who is going to buy that kind of coverage for an expensive trip..[/size]

Cheers....:)Betty

The same mindset that buy absolutely no insurance at all.

We have some friends that call travel insurance junk insurance. I always ask them if they can afford to lose thousands, or pay thousands should they need a medical evacuation.

We have some friends that call travel insurance junk insurance. I always ask them if they can afford to lose thousands, or pay thousands should they need a medical evacuation.

You are right. I have had some clients say, "I'll take my chances", "nothing will happen to me", "we're not going to cancel".:eek: Well gee, guess what? Crap happens when you least expect it. Crap happened to me on my last cruise - I am a healthy fitness fanatic, and got injured on my cruise. Then I got stuck in England for 8 days. I got reimbursed.

We have to get people to sign a waiver if they decline to purchase insurance. No way am I ever going to put myself in a position where they blame the TA that they didn't purchase insurance to save a few bucks. :rolleyes:

You are right. I have had some clients say, "I'll take my chances", "nothing will happen to me", "we're not going to cancel".:eek: Well gee, guess what? Crap happens when you least expect it. Crap happened to me on my last cruise - I am a healthy fitness fanatic, and got injured on my cruise. Then I got stuck in England for 8 days. I got reimbursed.

We have to get people to sign a waiver if they decline to purchase insurance. No way am I ever going to put myself in a position where they blame the TA that they didn't purchase insurance to save a few bucks. :rolleyes:

I know many people, who because they travel so much, basically decide to "self insure" themselves. They feel that all they save by not purchasing travel insurance could cover any trip they would have to cancel. However, they fail to realize what the medical evacuation could cost them. Also, some don't realize that medicare does not cover you outside of the USA. You can purchase just medical if you don't want to purchase full insurance. That is actually fairly reasonable.

Isn't cancellation insurance different from medical coverage and therefore difference points to consider? How about two policies? If you're not covered for preexisting, will they still medivac you out if it's in the policy?

I know many people, who because they travel so much, basically decide to "self insure" themselves. They feel that all they save by not purchasing travel insurance could cover any trip they would have to cancel. However, they fail to realize what the medical evacuation could cost them. Also, some don't realize that medicare does not cover you outside of the USA. You can purchase just medical if you don't want to purchase full insurance. That is actually fairly reasonable.

Medical is the one that will bankrupt you, that is for sure.

Isn't cancellation insurance different from medical coverage and therefore difference points to consider? How about two policies? If you're not covered for preexisting, will they still medivac you out if it's in the policy?

Yes, they are entirely different. Cancellation is the pricier part of the package. You can get them together, or separate.

As for medivac, they will medivac you off whether you have a pre-existing condition or not - they will not let you die on the ship if they can help it. What the insurance company does afterward with your bill will be in their fine print.;)

Start taking that money, which the cruiselines know is a profit center and the insurance folks know its huge margins and do what they do...

Put the darn money in the bank a mutual fund...anything and in a few years you have a sizeable chunk and never have to worry about that again

Something the cruise lines and insurance folks do with your money... which is now their money !!!

Keep your money your money then later in life....what the heck you can afford to take a 2 or 3 month cruise free !!!

Also never book air and hotel through the line.... hotels you can cancel the day of. and tops airlines charge only $150 cancel penalty

Another piece of advice if you need to file a claim: SAVE EVERY RECEIPT! A friend was stuck in Italy (poor her!) for a few extra days when the Iceland volcano erupted. It was a mad scramble to rebook flights and find hotel space for those extra days. In her haste, she misplaced a few receipts, including the stub of her boarding pass. (She thinks she used it as a bookmark in a paperback she had with her) She was able to get some kind of alternate proof of her flight, but it added to the hassle.

Excellent Advice! That's important for any type of insurance..

They do have emergency evacuation included in their policy (you need at least $50,000 coverage for this), but people really need to be aware that $10,000 for emergency medical is not enough. :) I sell RBC insurance in Canada, and it has unlimited medical coverage (except for non-stable pre-existing conditions).

More good advice! In addition, it is so important to read the policy very carefully re evacuation Insurance..On our HAL Amazon cruise in 2006, we had a CC poster who had to evacuate her Mom from a hospital in Manaus after being evacuated from our ship..She had insurance through her TA, however the insurance company refused to evacuate her Mom at that time..The Poster then borrowed $50,000 from her bank to get her Mom evacuated to a hospital in her hometown...It was a terribly sad case, as her Mom only lived for a couple more weeks.. Evey time we purchase insurance I think about this heart=breaking time for her daughter...Post No. 203

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=245896&highlight=april+2006&page=11

Methinks that someday they may regret their decisions...

Betty

Start taking that money, which the cruiselines know is a profit center and the insurance folks know its huge margins and do what they do...

Put the darn money in the bank a mutual fund...anything and in a few years you have a sizeable chunk and never have to worry about that again

Something the cruise lines and insurance folks do with your money... which is now their money !!!

Keep your money your money then later in life....what the heck you can afford to take a 2 or 3 month cruise free !!!

Also never book air and hotel through the line.... hotels you can cancel the day of. and tops airlines charge only $150 cancel penalty

:eek:

Do you know it costs ~$50,000 to medivac someone off the ship? You can go bankrupt if something happens to you in a foreign country without insurance. No mutual fund will save you from that! But if you want to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars or more, go right ahead...:rolleyes:

I do agree that getting a hotel through the ship costs a lot more, but some people prefer the comfort of it. As for air - that depends on the situation and cruise line. Sometimes it is cheaper with the cruise line. You have to look at all options.

:eek:

Do you know it costs ~$50,000 to medivac someone off the ship? You can go bankrupt if something happens to you in a foreign country without insurance. No mutual fund will save you from that! But if you want to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars or more, go right ahead...:rolleyes:

I do agree that getting a hotel through the ship costs a lot more, but some people prefer the comfort of it. As for air - that depends on the situation and cruise line. Sometimes it is cheaper with the cruise line. You have to look at all options.

Believe me, I know as I am in the business. That is why I alway purchase travel insurance.

Travel insurance saved me years ago when my DH & I traveled to Palau & miss a connecting flight in Guam. (Not our fault, CO airlines accommodated us with hotel & meals. However, our missed scuba dives, basic necessities, and other needs were reimbursed by the travel insurance)

Thank you for everyone's responses! It has been a educational experience for myself. The primary intent was to share this information to others.

Dirtgirl: We have met in the past as we were neighbors on the Radiance sailing the Mex. Rivera. Send me a e-mail at whirlybird2 at hotmail dot com

More good advice! In addition, it is so important to read the policy very carefully re evacuation Insurance..On our HAL Amazon cruise in 2006, we had a CC poster who had to evacuate her Mom from a hospital in Manaus after being evacuated from our ship..She had insurance through her TA, however the insurance company refused to evacuate her Mom at that time..The Poster then borrowed $50,000 from her bank to get her Mom evacuated to a hospital in her hometown...It was a terribly sad case, as her Mom only lived for a couple more weeks.. Evey time we purchase insurance I think about this heart=breaking time for her daughter...Post No. 203

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=245896&highlight=april+2006&page=11

Methinks that someday they may regret their decisions...

Betty

Very sad story. I couldn't tell from the poster's account, if in the end the travel insurance paid for the evacuation. I don't know that I blame the insurance so much as perhaps poor communication between the hospital and the insurance. I am guessing that the insurance got the idea from the hospital that the mother was not in need of evacuation.

What most do not realize tha evacuation off a ship at sea is done by the mulitary in most cases 99.9999% and there is no charge what so ever international nato treaties and maratime law prevailing , The insurance companies dont want you to know that.

People sick on a cruise ship in the south pacific have been airlifted out to Hawaii or New Zealand numerous times at no charge for American citizens. If you wanted an air ambulance then ( whats the point) then you have to pay... seldom is it ever needed, because you are in an american run or sponsored hospital.... why would move till better

You are never in danger of bankrupcy.... thats another smoke and mirrors the insurance people use to sell..... they know the facts and the last thing they want is for you to figure them out.... fear sells. Facts do not.

Not even the poor and others are everturned away from an american hospital or sponsored one....anywhere on earth. Another BS line to scare you and liberiate you from your money. Get smart

In Hawaii it is common for US navy and coast guard to air lift everyone from fishermen to cruise passengers 1000 to 1800 miles to an American hospitals..... where you medicare covers you 100% because it is an emergency... or in countries where you as an American are given full rights for health care under international treaties.....Insurance companies fail to mention this.... not good for business.

They fail to mention all these things because it diminishes their exposure and increases your premimum. Get real...just how many people have you ever heard of that had to have private evacuation, to america form a cruise ship...????? I will bet it happens maybe 2 or 3 times a year. world wide. Now take the 500,000 suckers paying 400 to 1000 per trip and you see the point.:o

I have personaly been in command of airlifting an American out of central america to a Texas hospital using USAF and USN aircraft. The patient was never billed one dime. I used 2 c-130, a C141 starlifter, and 1 ch53 helo. Cost about $4 million in time and fuel. Patients family $0.00

Consider that off Africa an american will be airlifted free of charge to a US navy ship which has a full operating hospital....again at no charge.:rolleyes:

I know my risk, I know the insurance companies want to scare hell out of you, I too know the reality and it is not what the salesmen tell you

Chicken Little where are you:D

In the manus case that was a clear case of emotions over reality.

The doctors in Manus ar good.... they clearly new the progonsis.

The family choose to do something not well toought out.

It would have been far cheaper knowing the outcome that manus has told them of and fly down the family for the last week of life.... With special air fares available it would not have cost anywhere near that and been absorbed by family members...may be $2000 per person.

Clear thinking in critical times is critical..... emotions have no place and will get you into trouble every time:o

Hawaii Dan,

You have made some very interesting points. I don't know enough to disagree. I will ask you this. What if I am in California in a bad car accident and need medical transport to my home state of Michigan. That could be costly and I have a hard time believing the US government will fly me home for free. Are you saying they will?

Check out inusuremytrip. Some basic coverage is as low as $10.00.

Thank you all for your input on insurance. For the first time I purchased insurance along with a cruise that I was not sure I would keep. The company stated (whom I purchased the cruise from uses a third party) stated that I had only a week after making the booking to buy insurance. We now find that we can not cruise on this date due to a family wedding and needed to move the date. Same ship different date and we lost the insurance as well. From now on we will purchase insurance just before we go!

Thank you all for your input on insurance. For the first time I purchased insurance along with a cruise that I was not sure I would keep. The company stated (whom I purchased the cruise from uses a third party) stated that I had only a week after making the booking to buy insurance. We now find that we can not cruise on this date due to a family wedding and needed to move the date. Same ship different date and we lost the insurance as well. From now on we will purchase insurance just before we go!

That is sad. I bought my insurance independently and was told it could be transferred to another trip. (probably within a certain time frame I am sure.) Be careful buying at the last minute if you need pre-existing medical conditions covered for you or a loved one back home.

In the manus case that was a clear case of emotions over reality.

The doctors in Manus ar good.... they clearly new the progonsis.

The family choose to do something not well toought out.

It would have been far cheaper knowing the outcome that manus has told them of and fly down the family for the last week of life.... With special air fares available it would not have cost anywhere near that and been absorbed by family members...may be $2000 per person.

Clear thinking in critical times is critical..... emotions have no place and will get you into trouble every time:o

Wow, Blunt? IMO that is quite judgmental!

The lady was evacuated from the ship on May 11 & passed away June 09..Where do they eat & sleep for the month that her Mother was still alive & in the Hospital..

$2000 per family member, for air, hotels & food for almost 30 days :rolleyes: I don't think so..We also don't know how many family members there were....In addition, her Daughter could not communicate with her Mothers Doctors..Her Mom was later transferred to a more modern Hospital where she could communicate with the Doctors only after the Evacuation team got there..

Perhaps you can be unemotional & think clearly, but I doubt most people, including my DH, can remain detached when someone they Love is seriously Ill..:(

Betty

There will always be those who will pooh pooh getting insurance. Well, they do so at their own risk, but please don't counsel others to do the same. You will not be picking up their bills - they will.

I'm sure many of you don't know what happened to me on my last cruise - the Brilliance of the Seas in the Med in December. I was on the ship when it listed back and forth, and I was injured. Not only that, on flying home, I got stranded in England, and was delayed getting home for a 8 days. So that was 8 days of hotels, meals, transportation, phone, internet, clothes, toiletries - and no checked luggage. I had my carry-on, thank heavens. BA couldn't even get me back to Vancouver before Christmas - they could only get me to Dallas.

If I had not had insurance, I would have been out all of that money. I wish I had bought the additional insurance, as that would have covered more of my bills. Lesson learned, and the additional insurance will be purchased from now on. It was quite a financial hardship, and thankfully our credit card was not maxed out.

Here is a review of my experience on that cruise, and afterwards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1343849

There will always be those who will pooh pooh getting insurance. Well, they do so at their own risk, but please don't counsel others to do the same. You will not be picking up their bills - they will.

I'm sure many of you don't know what happened to me on my last cruise - the Brilliance of the Seas in the Med in December. I was on the ship when it listed back and forth, and I was injured. Not only that, on flying home, I got stranded in England, and was delayed getting home for a 8 days. So that was 8 days of hotels, meals, transportation, phone, internet, clothes, toiletries - and no checked luggage. I had my carry-on, thank heavens. BA couldn't even get me back to Vancouver before Christmas - they could only get me to Dallas.

If I had not had insurance, I would have been out all of that money. I wish I had bought the additional insurance, as that would have covered more of my bills. Lesson learned, and the additional insurance will be purchased from now on. It was quite a financial hardship, and thankfully our credit card was not maxed out.

What "additional" insurance do you wish you had purchased?

What "additional" insurance do you wish you had purchased?

There is a Rider I can purchase with my RBC insurance, which increases the subsistence allowance (hotels, food, transportation, phone, internet), and baggage delay (having to buy clothes and toiletries as my luggage was gone). There are other benefits, like guaranteeing a Business Class flight home if that is what you originally purchased, but the subsistence and baggage allowance was what I needed from being stranded. I wasn't flying business class.

The Rider is only $5, and I am kicking myself for not having it. As I said, lesson learned.

I have a yearly policy that covers me for unlimited medical, cancellation up to $1500 each trip, interruption, baggage loss and delay, and flight/travel accident. I can top up the $1500 if I need to, and I can take an UNLIMITED number of trips of up to 16 days each per year. All for $203.;) The cheques that I received from my claim more than paid for any travel insurance policy I have ever purchased.

I will never travel without insurance, even for a day trip across the border into the US.

My brother was living in the States, but was visiting Vancouver when he was run over by a car. Well, he didn't have insurance in Canada anymore, so about $25,000 in medical bills had to be paid for his broken leg. Do you all have $25,000 just lying around? Some do, some don't. I would prefer not to have that bill hanging over my head, personally.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't tell you how many times I have seen patients end up in the hospital before, in transit or on their way home from a cruise or vacation, as my hospital is close to an airport.

Travel Ins. is a MUST.

I have seen critical patients flown home via Medical Transport and I have seen patients transfered to a county hospital due to lack of funds. I'm not saying that County Hospitals offer inferior medical care, but a flight home with a Physician or Critical Care Team is so much better. I have also seen the inpact that the medical emergency has on the patients family. You don't need the added stress of the financial impact on top of a life or death situation.

The situations that I have witnessed have prompted me to "pad" my medical and be sure that it covers pre-existing conditions.

I live in California so I get Automobile Club of America. (AAA). Medical only, (this also covers trip delay, lost luggage but not cancellation and cost less than $200, age, trip duration and cost of trip determine the premium) within 14 days of my trip deposit, which covers us for pre-existing condition. I call this peace of mind insurance.

I than get the trip cancellation ins with my last payment (to meet pre-existing cond. requirement) which also has a moderate amount for medical. Between the two policies, I feel that the medical is covered, because, If I don't take care of my husband and myself, that refund really won't matter.

Archived