Beware of cruise insurance $$ non-refundable

whirlybird3

My only thought here is why would cruise insurance be refundable. No other type of insurance is refundable when you make a claim. For example, if you were to have a car accident you don't get a refund on your car insurance, they pay what the policy says they will cover.

I never pay for cruise insurance from the line, and would never purchase insurance at the time of deposit as there's no risk of loss until final payment.

I get 3rd Party insurance thru my TA and pay for it at the time of final payment - That's when the risk of losing money on an unexpected cancellation exists.

I agree with you Brian. In Ontario, Canada, I have 3 days in which to buy insurance after making final payment.

I agree with you Brian. In Ontario, Canada, I have 3 days in which to buy insurance after making final payment.

If it covers pre-existing conditions then that is a good deal. If it does not, it does not work for me or many others. Even if you don't have a pre-existing condition, a parent, sibling, child, grandchild may. If a loved died because of a pre-existing condition and you did not have that coverage, you are out of luck getting any refunds.

If I understand the OP correctly, the cruise was reserved and then cancelled. During the time the reservation existed, trip insurance was purchased. Because the insurance covered "the cruise" and the cruise was not going to be taken, she attempted to cancel the insurance. In her mind, the insurance covered a time period in the future so there was no liability so in cancelling expected a refund. I did this same thing years ago and learned as well.

Expensive lesson learned. :(. Next time I will wait until final payment.

The downside to waiting until final payment to get your insurance is that if you then have to cancel for medical reasons, pre-existing conditions will not be covered, not for the passengers and not for their immediate family.

The downside to waiting until final payment to get your insurance is that if you then have to cancel for medical reasons, pre-existing conditions will not be covered, not for the passengers and not for their immediate family.

There are a few insurers who sell policies at time of final payment that cover pre-existing conditions. Many do not.

We have switched cruises on three occasions and each time were able to transfer our independently purchased travel insurance. Two of those times the new cruise was a different length, in a different month and in a different place. You pay an added amount if insurance is higher for the new cruise, but don't get a reimbursement if it is lower. The pre-existing conditions also transferred each time.

We have always used Access America and never had a problem collecting. Our insurance can run up to about $800+ for the both of us, depending on our age, length of cruise and accommodations. But it's well worth it! Because of pre-existing we always buy it within 14 days of deposit. If we cancel a trip for whatever reason before final payment we modify the policy for the next cruise. We take no medical issue for granted. Nobody is "safe" from anything happening.

My husband has some medical issues now that he didn't have before so we fly from Orlando to FLL, an hour flight, and gladly pay for the HAL hotel package. We like our hand held. But that's just us.

What most do not realize tha evacuation off a ship at sea is done by the mulitary in most cases 99.9999% and there is no charge what so ever international nato treaties and maratime law prevailing , The insurance companies dont want you to know that.

People sick on a cruise ship in the south pacific have been airlifted out to Hawaii or New Zealand numerous times at no charge for American citizens. If you wanted an air ambulance then ( whats the point) then you have to pay... seldom is it ever needed, because you are in an american run or sponsored hospital.... why would move till better

You are never in danger of bankrupcy.... thats another smoke and mirrors the insurance people use to sell..... they know the facts and the last thing they want is for you to figure them out.... fear sells. Facts do not.

Not even the poor and others are everturned away from an american hospital or sponsored one....anywhere on earth. Another BS line to scare you and liberiate you from your money. Get smart

In Hawaii it is common for US navy and coast guard to air lift everyone from fishermen to cruise passengers 1000 to 1800 miles to an American hospitals..... where you medicare covers you 100% because it is an emergency... or in countries where you as an American are given full rights for health care under international treaties.....Insurance companies fail to mention this.... not good for business.

They fail to mention all these things because it diminishes their exposure and increases your premimum. Get real...just how many people have you ever heard of that had to have private evacuation, to america form a cruise ship...????? I will bet it happens maybe 2 or 3 times a year. world wide. Now take the 500,000 suckers paying 400 to 1000 per trip and you see the point.:o

I have personaly been in command of airlifting an American out of central america to a Texas hospital using USAF and USN aircraft. The patient was never billed one dime. I used 2 c-130, a C141 starlifter, and 1 ch53 helo. Cost about $4 million in time and fuel. Patients family $0.00

Consider that off Africa an american will be airlifted free of charge to a US navy ship which has a full operating hospital....again at no charge.:rolleyes:

I know my risk, I know the insurance companies want to scare hell out of you, I too know the reality and it is not what the salesmen tell you

Chicken Little where are you:D

And, how does one avail themselves of these services? Who do you call?

Tucker in Texas

What most do not realize tha evacuation off a ship at sea is done by the mulitary in most cases 99.9999% and there is no charge what so ever international nato treaties and maratime law prevailing , The insurance companies dont want you to know that.

People sick on a cruise ship in the south pacific have been airlifted out to Hawaii or New Zealand numerous times at no charge for American citizens. If you wanted an air ambulance then ( whats the point) then you have to pay... seldom is it ever needed, because you are in an american run or sponsored hospital.... why would move till better

You are never in danger of bankrupcy.... thats another smoke and mirrors the insurance people use to sell..... they know the facts and the last thing they want is for you to figure them out.... fear sells. Facts do not.

Not even the poor and others are everturned away from an american hospital or sponsored one....anywhere on earth. Another BS line to scare you and liberiate you from your money. Get smart

In Hawaii it is common for US navy and coast guard to air lift everyone from fishermen to cruise passengers 1000 to 1800 miles to an American hospitals..... where you medicare covers you 100% because it is an emergency... or in countries where you as an American are given full rights for health care under international treaties.....Insurance companies fail to mention this.... not good for business.

They fail to mention all these things because it diminishes their exposure and increases your premimum. Get real...just how many people have you ever heard of that had to have private evacuation, to america form a cruise ship...????? I will bet it happens maybe 2 or 3 times a year. world wide. Now take the 500,000 suckers paying 400 to 1000 per trip and you see the point.:o

I have personaly been in command of airlifting an American out of central america to a Texas hospital using USAF and USN aircraft. The patient was never billed one dime. I used 2 c-130, a C141 starlifter, and 1 ch53 helo. Cost about $4 million in time and fuel. Patients family $0.00

Consider that off Africa an american will be airlifted free of charge to a US navy ship which has a full operating hospital....again at no charge.:rolleyes:

I know my risk, I know the insurance companies want to scare hell out of you, I too know the reality and it is not what the salesmen tell you

Chicken Little where are you:D

As a Canadian, I can tell you that bankruptcy is a possiblity. Health costs in the US are much highter than here. US Medicare does not cover non Americans. So, while you will not be turned away, you will be billed.

Canadian regular medical coverage is insufficient as they only pay what they would charge. As a banker, I saw a number of people return from the US with staggering medical bills and they were forced into bankruptcy.

IMO travel insurance is a must - there are lots of other places to cruise. My friend had to be air evacuated home from Europe. I saw the bill and if he hadn't had his insurance, he would have been liable. The amount was staggering. :eek: Each to their own, but we prefer to carry an annual policy which protects us and a good portion is tax deductible here.

For us, it's part of the cost of travelling and cruising :) plus we have the cancellation, baggage and all the other good stuff in case ;)

We always purchase insurance at final payment that covers pre-existing conditions. HAL's does, and so do others.

To the OP:...Every plan I have read through tells you that it is not refundable.

I agree.

I am unaware of any travel insurance that is refundable. When you find a policy purchased after final payment date with a pre-existing conditions waiver - that for me is the way to go. The insurance guys tell me the majority of the difficulties they see revolves around the pre-existing conditions clause.

I hate insurance companies, but always load up with insurance, and hope they pay if we find ourselves in the unfortunate situation of having to make a claim.

Smooth sailing...

Hi all,

Sorry to butt in, but I'm desperate at this point, I'm so clueless!

We are a family of 5 traveling in 3 weeks, reading here got me nervous so I'm looking at insurance. Can anyone help? I'm so lost.

Does this seem good? https://www.insuremytrip.com/gridPop...Svm3bRoxT2&o=u

Sorry for being dumb about this. It's my husband and I and a 19, 13 and 2 year old. We are going on a 5 night cruise (Carnival) First week of May.

Thanks guys!

check squaremouth.com, too. I prefer Travelex if it is in the same ball park price wise as it is PRMARY vs. others which are SECONDARY. Primary means you submit your receipts with the claim, you get paid. Secondary, you have to exhaust your own insurance first before you file a claim. If, say, your luggage is lost, then you have to go after the airline first. This takes time and energy.

Sometimes it is around the same price, sometimes not.

Tucker in Texas

Hi all,

We are a family of 5 traveling in 3 weeks, reading here got me nervous so I'm looking at insurance. Can anyone help? I'm so lost.

Sorry for being dumb about this. It's my husband and I and a 19, 13 and 2 year old. We are going on a 5 night cruise (Carnival) First week of May.

Thanks guys!

Hi robinbird99

Glad you found the link. Keep watching, you'll get lots of help.

Also never book air and hotel through the line.... hotels you can cancel the day of. and tops airlines charge only $150 cancel penalty

I may beg to disagree on the airfare...right now ORD-CDG (Paris) is about $1400/person for summer, but HAL airfare to Europe is $999/person. It just pays to shop around. I like to use mobissimo dot com to compare airfares.

Hi all,

Thanks guys!

I don't see where your policy covers trip cancellation. Three years ago we had a policy to cover our trip to Walt Disney World. On the way home we missed our connection in Cleveland and had to stay the night. We got a printout from the airline of our record that showed our missed connection and delay to the next day, then the insurance company covered our hotel room for the night and the taxi to/from the airport. It was late so we didn't get any, but they would have covered our supper that night, too. We just kept receipts and got the necessary documentation to submit to the insurance company.

Archived